Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WANTED: Sega Dreamcast Arcade Stick

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Greetings! I'm after one of the official Dreamcast sticks, not the dodgy Treamcast orange thing. If you've modified your stick with juicy Sanwa parts, so much the better.

Don't really have anything to trade so it's a few bob I can offer.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Which one is the Treamcast stick?

I've found that the Innovation Stick actually has a NeoGeo-type stick.

More here (SRK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Which one is the Treamcast stick?

I've found that the Innovation Stick actually has a NeoGeo-type stick.

More here (SRK)

Yep that is apparently the dodgy one, hence the price. You are the expert though, what you reckon? :)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Yep that is apparently the dodgy one, hence the price. You are the expert though, what you reckon? :)
    Don't buy unless you're comfortable modding :pac:
    Stick is OK, I'd say.
    But the action buttons on the orange one aren't the best; and on SRK that 1st poster got a dead-on-arrival stick.

GL with the search for the Agetec, aka 'Green Goblin' . :)

Don't buy unless you're comfortable getting someone else to do modding for you

FYP.

Busy any time soon? Fancy working on a Green Goblin? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

FYP.

Busy any time soon? Fancy working on a Green Goblin? :D

Do ittttt! Mine is now an Orange Goblin. :pac:

Which, funnily enough, are a Stoner Metal band that I quite like. Never noticed that before.

Here's a piccy. Okay so the ball top is yellow and only around the buttons is orange, but still - I shall forever call it the orange goblin.

dreamcaststick.jpg

The colour works as it's pretty much spot on with the start button.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do ittttt! Mine is now an Orange Goblin. :pac:

Which, funnily enough, are a Stoner Metal band that I quite like. Never noticed that before.

Blimey I remember hearing about them about 10 years ago! Forgot all about them until now. :rolleyes:

Console is still with docentore, but better to be done properly than a bodge I say! Green Goblin was dispatched on Monday from the UK so expecting it today or tomorrow.

Need to draw together a list of 'Yes sir, these pups will blast you all the way to the top of the score table yesiree!' parts, chuck an order in and then lassoo one of you in to installing it all for me at a cheeky, yet equally handsome price. Yes sir!

WHO WANTS THE CHALLENGE?! :D

The colour works as it's pretty much spot on with the start button.

Juicy. Did you mod that yourself? *testing the waters* :D

I'd want to change the stick to a bat though. Hate the ball top joysticks. 20 mins of hard graft on Deathsmiles and I end up with a Beadlehand.

beadle310108_14543t.jpg

Master of the Universe

Blimey I remember hearing about them about 10 years ago! Forgot all about them until now. :rolleyes:

Console is still with docentore, but better to be done properly than a bodge I say! Green Goblin was dispatched on Monday from the UK so expecting it today or tomorrow.

Need to draw together a list of 'Yes sir, these pups will blast you all the way to the top of the score table yesiree!' parts, chuck an order in and then lassoo one of you in to installing it all for me at a cheeky, yet equally handsome price. Yes sir!

WHO WANTS THE CHALLENGE?! :D

Yeah, once I got that stick my scores did get a lot better. Then as I mentioned before, they got even better when I changed from a laggy LCD moniotor to my CRT tv. Every little helps!
    Juicy. Did you mod that yourself? *testing the waters* :D

I'd want to change the stick to a bat though. Hate the ball top joysticks. 20 mins of hard graft on Deathsmiles and I end up with a Beadlehand.

beadle310108_14543t.jpg

Nah, didn't mod it myself. I don't really have time to be modding things, so I always get other people to do it for me :D

Bought that from a guy on boards. It's tooled up with Seimitsu parts. Best for shumps. They're lovely.

You...are joking about the bat right??!? It'll look so so so so so wrong. Criminal in fact!

You can't beat a good Japanese ball top for shooters. Bats are for uncivilized american truck drivers with shovel hands :D

Yeah, once I got that stick my scores did get a lot better. Then as I mentioned before, they got even better when I changed from a laggy LCD moniotor to my CRT tv. Every little helps!

Did you check out the CGA>VGA>XYZ>B&Q>ICI>ABC>ABRAKEBABRA scaler/line doubler I bought from the USA? That will go to the ends of the Earth to eliminate lag and give you explicit SHMUP imagery!

Couple that with an SLG 3000 and you'll be buckled!.........or just buy a cheap CRT. I don't want one, have no room for one and don't care, hence I'm happy to pay silly money to make my perfectly fine 50" plasma look like a CRT.

Nah, didn't mod it myself. I don't really have time to be modding things, so I always get other people to do it for me

Sounds exactly like myself. Add on the fact that when it comes to electrics and soldering and 'tinkering' I'm a completely useless, uncoordinated, clumsy OAF. Remember, if something looks hard to do it's not worth doing or learning. Pay someone to do it for you! :D

You...are joking about the bat right??!? It'll look so so so so so wrong. Criminal in fact!

Nope, I can't get used to the ball top sticks. Maybe the EX2 on 360 is a 4 way? Is 8 way significantly better? Just the EX2 feels so loose that if I want to make precise movements on screen I need to yank the stick right down to register the position. I hate it. :mad:

A seriously precise bat looks like it would offer beefy control bordering on neurosurgical-grade accuracy. Or am I wrong? :confused:

Master of the Universe

Did you check out the CGA>VGA>XYZ>B&Q>ICI>ABC>ABRAKEBABRA scaler/line doubler I bought from the USA? That will go to the ends of the Earth to eliminate lag and give you explicit SHMUP imagery!

Couple that with an SLG 3000 and you'll be buckled!.........or just buy a cheap CRT. I don't want one, have no room for one and don't care, hence I'm happy to pay silly money to make my perfectly fine 50" plasma look like a CRT.

So you're saying with your fancy scaler and the SLG 3000 I could have a non laggy scanline VGA Dreamcast experience on an LCD? That sounds very interesting as I can't exactly rotate my Sony Trinitron. Let me know how that works out for you!

Sounds exactly like myself. Add on the fact that when it comes to electrics and soldering and 'tinkering' I'm a completely useless, uncoordinated, clumsy OAF. Remember, if something looks hard to do it's not worth doing or learning. Pay someone to do it for you! :D

I only mod cheap things that I can play about with to get right. When it comes to fancy items that need to be spot on, there are experts out there who can do a far far better job then I ever could. So might as well just go with them :)
    Nope, I can't get used to the ball top sticks. Maybe the EX2 on 360 is a 4 way? Is 8 way significantly better? Just the EX2 feels so loose that if I want to make precise movements on screen I need to yank the stick right down to register the position. I hate it. :mad:

A seriously precise bat looks like it would offer beefy control bordering on neurosurgical-grade accuracy. Or am I wrong? :confused:

Seems like the ball tops you're using are crap. Good ball tops are much more accurate than bats. I'm not too familiar with many home console ball tops mind, only real arcade ones. I've never even used the standard one in the Dreamcast stick. Only this Seimitsu modded one. And as someone who really appreciates shumps, let me tell you, you wont find a better stick for precise movements. The microswitches click with the slightest of actions.

• Advertisement

So you're saying with your fancy scaler and the SLG 3000 I could have a non laggy scanline VGA Dreamcast experience on an LCD? That sounds very interesting as I can't exactly rotate my Sony Trinitron. Let me know how that works out for you!

Yep, apparently so. I'd go with the scaler at the very least. The SLG 3000 will make the display look extra cute...which is nice. I'll be sure to document and video everything once this Dreamcast journey of mine winds down.

Check out these video's for more info:

And as someone who really appreciates shumps, let me tell you, you wont find a better stick for precise movements. The microswitches click with the slightest of actions.

...which is exactly what I am looking for. Just discovered the bit I'm complaining about is the 'throw' of the stick apparently. It's garbage. I want something I could use to dock a shuttle at the International Space Station for accuracy.

Master of the Universe

I'll be sure to document and video everything once this Dreamcast journey of mine winds down.

Please do!
    Just discovered the bit I'm complaining about is the 'throw' of the stick apparently. It's garbage. I want something I could use to dock a shuttle at the International Space Station for accuracy.

It's the throw that's off on your sticks alright. From what you're saying it's too far.

Seimitsu sticks (there are different models, I'm not too sure which exact one I have - I'd say K.O.Kiki would be the man to ask for information about that) have a very short throw. It's perfect for shooters. Especially bullet hell ones. You could dodge your way through rain with one of them. :)

Seimitsu sticks...You could dodge your way through rain with one of them.

Even 'fine' rain? :D

Cool, so Seimitsui parts are what I need to gut the EX2 and the Goblin? Might as well do both.

I've a feeling once I get a stick with microscopic amounts of throw I'll be in business and get some decent scores!

Master of the Universe

Even fine rain, while at the same time returing fire and chaining enemies :D

If you're just into shooters then it's Seimitsu parts that you want alright. Google around to see which version stick is best. People who play fighters tend to go with Sanwa as the throw is longer.

How about putting Seimitsu parts in one and Sanwa in the other? Best of both worlds.

How about putting Seimitsu parts in one and Sanwa in the other? Best of both worlds.

Nah I very rarely play fighting games, just shooters really. I'd pick up another stick another day if I wanted the long throw.

Time to hound KO Kiki methinks! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Sup.

I modded an Agetec for a friend with Seimitsu LS-32 once, very quick mod iirc.
    Same for buttons.

MIGHT be possible to do an LS-40 (which is known to have very small throw), but the shaft would be too long then.

Slagcoin for Seimitsu -- read & see which sounds nice.

Thanks for that link, I genuinely learnt a lot from it.

Question on the LS-40 though, is it likely the shaft will be too long for the Agetec and/or the Hori? If so I wonder if it's worth sacrificing the short throw for a LS-32 stick with slightly longer one?

For buttons I was thinking PS-14-G ones as I have bananas for fingers.

Is it possible to get/make custom faceplates for either? Was thinking of adding some juicy art from a Cave title. :D

Thanks for that link, I genuinely learnt a lot from it.

Question on the LS-40 though, is it likely the shaft will be too long for the Agetec and/or the Hori? If so I wonder if it's worth sacrificing the short throw for a LS-32 stick with slightly longer one?

For buttons I was thinking PS-14-G ones as I have bananas for fingers.

Is it possible to get/make custom faceplates for either? Was thinking of adding some juicy art from a Cave title. :D
    Oh! My mistake.
    I was thinking of JLF shaft length again.

Shaft lengths:
    LS-32: 27.5mm
    LS-40: 29.5mm
    JLF: 34mm

While it is possible to fit an LS-32, it's a VERY tight fit and generally requires either a hole in the bottom plate, or for the bottom plate to be lifted a few mm.
    Doable, but ugly.

I did an LS-56 mod 2 (?) years ago for boardsie Da_Bounca:
    P1030100.jpg

Though after that one, I also swore off EX2 modding for life :rolleyes:

As a thought: if you want a tight stick that DEFINITELY fits into an EX2 or Agetec, I'd recommend an Seimitsu LS-33 with an LS-55 or 56 spring.

Oh, and as for buttons: OBSF-30, PS-14-G and PS-15 will all fit... but require work on EX2 faceplate, as the standard buttons are 28.5mm (not 30). Bloody Hori :rolleyes:

As a thought: if you want a tight stick that DEFINITELY fits into an EX2 or Agetec, I'd recommend an Seimitsu LS-33 with an LS-55 or 56 spring.

Oh, and as for buttons: OBSF-30, PS-14-G and PS-15 will all fit... but require work on EX2 faceplate, as the standard buttons are 28.5mm (not 30). Bloody Hori :rolleyes:

Would the LS-32 be ok for a Goblin with PS-14-G buttons? LS-33/LS-55(6) EX2 sounds mega, with a custom faceplate image?

Would you be open to a cheeky PM to discuss further? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement