Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"get fit quick scheme" for lazy lady who wants to keep curves..

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

hey, im a newbie and don't know where to start in dissecting info from the other forums yet, so decided it would be better and quicker to just start my own!
    basically, i am a 19 year old student who has over indulged on the freedom of student-living :p have done nothing but live on bulmers, benson, pasta and cheese for a solid year :eek: luckily, as i am tall and naturally slim, all i have gained is a (6 month pregnant sized) belly and a bit of a bum with a fair helping of cellulite. what i want to do is make an energetic start on reforming my non existent diet and exercise regime so that i can tone up my belly and get rid of the cellulite. holidays on the 22nd of may so want to make the best start possible before then. willing to go cold turkey. however i do like my curves (i.e. bust and bum). is there a method i can stick to so that i focus mainly on the abdomen and cellulite? or should i forget that notion and just tone up before i die of a heart attack? also, not sure if it effects dieting/exercising but my ex who trains extensively, once told me that i have an unusually fast metabolism. i hear that cutting out carbs is a quick way to make the scales go down but i would prefer something that is more long term and not dehydrating. if i am being ridiculously fussy, please feel free to tell me and excuse my ignorance!

thanks a million in advance for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Ok I'll bite. Firstly there is no quick fix. Secondly even small changes add up, stop eating so many things that are holding you back, find a decent exercise program and just start moving more. But really reading through all the stickies would be best, then if you have questions others who are more helpful will chime in. You're still young, just start to accumulate good habits for long term and you'll thank yourself in the long run.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

You didn get yourself into this quickly so you won't shift it quickly either. If you dedicat yourself to a 100% clean diet and a brutally tough workout regime you will see a difference.

I'd recommend taking on a paleo diet, along with weightlifting and cardio, with a metcon or two a week thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

is there a method i can stick to so that i focus mainly on the abdomen and cellulite?
    While I can't comment on cellulite, I can say that there's no such thing as spot reduction. That is, you can't work to remove fat from a specific area; its an all or nothing job. So just work on reducing your body weight through exercise and a healthy diet. You can tone up the muscles in particular areas but this won't do any (visible) good until you've reduced the cushion of fat first. That said, weight work will help your body lose weight

I wouldn't know where to start in putting together a weight loss diet but it shouldn't be hard. Cut out the junk food and do some cardio 3-4 times a week. And I mean proper cardio work - not taking a stroll on the treadmill for 15 min. You don't want a crash diet (reducing your calorie intake by over 20% is just not good for you) but at the same time it shouldn't take too long. Don't expect anything in the next month or so but if you get into a good routine now then you should see some (modest) results within a few months

And its all about the routine. College is a great time to do this because you pretty much have your own timetable. Just get used to going to the gym or for a run before/after classes a few times a week, plus cooking/eating healthy, and it'll be no trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 greenlunchbox

howtomake wrote: »
    Ok I'll bite. Firstly there is no quick fix. Secondly even small changes add up, stop eating so many things that are holding you back, find a decent exercise program and just start moving more. But really reading through all the stickies would be best, then if you have questions others who are more helpful will chime in. You're still young, just start to accumulate good habits for long term and you'll thank yourself in the long run.:D

Great advice, thank you! :D:D

You didn get yourself into this quickly so you won't shift it quickly either. If you dedicat yourself to a 100% clean diet and a brutally tough workout regime you will see a difference.

I'd recommend taking on a paleo diet, along with weightlifting and cardio, with a metcon or two a week thrown in.

Up until now had no idea what a metcon actually was - looks like i'm going to be in pain :P worth a shot though! as for the paleo diet i'll have to skip as i'm vegetarian :P but have stocked up on salads and beans+lentils! thanks for the advice jimmy bottlehead!

• Advertisement

Reekwind wrote: »
    While I can't comment on cellulite, I can say that there's no such thing as spot reduction. That is, you can't work to remove fat from a specific area; its an all or nothing job. So just work on reducing your body weight through exercise and a healthy diet. You can tone up the muscles in particular areas but this won't do any (visible) good until you've reduced the cushion of fat first. That said, weight work will help your body lose weight

I wouldn't know where to start in putting together a weight loss diet but it shouldn't be hard. Cut out the junk food and do some cardio 3-4 times a week. And I mean proper cardio work - not taking a stroll on the treadmill for 15 min. You don't want a crash diet (reducing your calorie intake by over 20% is just not good for you) but at the same time it shouldn't take too long. Don't expect anything in the next month or so but if you get into a good routine now then you should see some (modest) results within a few months

And its all about the routine. College is a great time to do this because you pretty much have your own timetable. Just get used to going to the gym or for a run before/after classes a few times a week, plus cooking/eating healthy, and it'll be no trouble

Thanks a million for advice very informative and motivational -all taken into consideration! glad i posted now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

all i have gained is a (6 month pregnant sized) belly
    Hope it's not as big as my 6 month pregnant belly - I was like a beached whale :eek::D Lost it easily enough though by cutting down on carbs, eating more protein, increase exercise - at least 5 times a week proper sweating cardio (walking doesn't cut the mustard!) and introduce some resistance training. It may not be gone by 22nd May (you meant this year right?;)) but if you cut down on the carbs and keep off the booze until your hols you should see a reduction in bloating.
    hope that helps and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

i found weighted squats deadly for cellulite.

i found weighted squats deadly for cellulite.

I find daydreaming deadly for stress relief

I find daydreaming deadly for stress relief

haw haw :cool:

• Advertisement

i'm vegetarian :P but have stocked up on salads and beans+lentils! thanks for the advice jimmy bottlehead!

Howz it going for you?

Since your veg I would highly recommend Quinoa, you can get it in most health food shops. Just focus on getting as many high quality nutrients in you, many times that leaves little room for junk food. Actually I need to start taking this advice myself (again ;)), all these holidays really interfere with common sense.

howtomake wrote: »
    Howz it going for you?

Since your veg I would highly recommend Quinoa, you can get it in most health food shops. Just focus on getting as many high quality nutrients in you, many times that leaves little room for junk food. Actually I need to start taking this advice myself (again ;)), all these holidays really interfere with common sense.

Hiya, it's going great thanks! Minus nearly half a stone already which is down to cutting out junk alone! and the routine is slowly improving :) Quinoa, will definitely try that! Indeed- each year is the same for me, winter a pouring jug and summer, a grater :-P

woggie wrote: »
    Hope it's not as big as my 6 month pregnant belly - I was like a beached whale :eek::D Lost it easily enough though by cutting down on carbs, eating more protein, increase exercise - at least 5 times a week proper sweating cardio (walking doesn't cut the mustard!) and introduce some resistance training. It may not be gone by 22nd May (you meant this year right?;)) but if you cut down on the carbs and keep off the booze until your hols you should see a reduction in bloating.
    hope that helps and best of luck

good stuff, well done! haha yea this year - was a tad late in getting my act together - the stress of exams and all (cough) have started doing some exercise too- not all that bad once you get in gear!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hiya, it's going great thanks! Minus nearly half a stone already which is down to cutting out junk alone! and the routine is slowly improving :)

Well done, that's brilliant!!! Keep it up now and you'll be all set for summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭winning

Reading your initial message for the first time now it didn't sound like you were anywayclose to being in the mental state to lose weight.

winning wrote: »
    Reading your initial message for the first time now it didn't sound like you were anywayclose to being in the mental state to lose weight.

yea well ive a fast metabolism liek i said in the first post! i dunno some of it may b water retention but iv never had to do much to lose weight.. didn't think it would come off that fast either tbh

howz it going greenlunchbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭hardy_buck

If your looking to lose the celulite and tummy then make sure its cardio work your doing (running, swimming etc...) as this will burn off all the fat. Cycling might be a good one to do as it really tones the legs! I'd also reccomend doing squats at a light weight to keep the bum looking good :p Make sure you eat a good breakfast like porridge (I know its boring, but mix some chopped up fruits through it or something!) as this will help you to stop snacking, which can really set you back.

So basically, a decent diet (shouldnt be too hard if your a veg) and good exercise around 4-5 times a week and you'll get a good body in no time!:D
    Hope this helps ya! :)

Advertisement