Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transfer from arts in year one?

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

im in 1sy yr arts and hate it, was going to transferto a different course within arts from philosophy to geograpy because i gained 10 credits in geography this year, but was wondering if it is possible to transfer to other courses away from arts in ucd without having to pay fees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Right well, you can definitely switch to geography and have a major/minor joint major combo. Now, transferring to another course is problematic. If it's a related field then there are some methods for transfer like Geography into Gpep. You just have to play catch up, however if you want to go from arts into engineering, that just doesn't happen without going through the cao which closes in mid-july for late applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

ah rite... and you'd have to pay fees then to drop out of arts and reapply to the cao? is it much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 greenlunchbox

meathawk wrote: »
    Right well, you can definitely switch to geography and have a major/minor joint major combo. Now, transferring to another course is problematic. If it's a related field then there are some methods for transfer like Geography into Gpep. You just have to play catch up, however if you want to go from arts into engineering, that just doesn't happen without going through the cao which closes in mid-july for late applicants.

hey, i'm also in ucd considering moving from philosophy and english as a joint major to something else. when you say a major/minor joint major combo what do u mean? if you're doing a joint major in arts you generally have two core subjects as your major and then a third core subject - but it isn't a "minor" unless u qualify for doing two years in it (e.g. in psychology), right?
    anyways if i'm doing a joint major in arts can i switch to a single major for free, do you know?
    if not, do you know if it's easy to switch subjects within the joint major, and free? (basically the same question asked in the first post, just re-phrased :P)
    thanks in advance for any advice :) and also if i'm a bit off topic with the other qtn, i'm fairly new to boards so excuse my ignorance!

by the looks of it, 1st of may is the final date for late applications
    http://www.gotocollege.ie/cao-change-of-mind.htm

they accept late relpys until 1st july... to drop out and reapply, just looked... we would have to pay the full year of fees for the year just past plus registation fee plus full fees for first year of new course.. end up being over 15k.. defo cant afford that! i HATE philosophy so defo guna get rid of it

• Advertisement

is it possible to transfer from a major in philosphy at the end of year one to law with philsophy in year 2? i got 430 in the leaving cert but the points through the cao are around 500... my guess is no chance ! ?

corkman123 wrote: »
    they accept late relpys until 1st july... to drop out and reapply, just looked... we would have to pay the full year of fees for the year just past plus registation fee plus full fees for first year of new course.. end up being over 15k.. defo cant afford that! i HATE philosophy so defo guna get rid of it

faack that literally is a joke, 15k makes ya lol! they really like to cut their losses don't they, guess you just shouldn't make the wrong course choice! an english lecturer was tellin me there the last day that on average they expect 40% of first years to fail arts don't quote me on that coz its word of mouth but her main point was that universities generally don't want there to be as many in second year - all im sayin is that in 2nd year i wouldn't b surprised if we saw a lot less of th L ... so unloved :P

thats crazy!! wonder if a transfer is possible from philosphy/geog in 1st yr to social science?

ya i'm wondering the exact same thing! have u gone to the programme office in the arts building about any of this? i'm pretty sure they can advise us on changing course!

ah cool.. wat course are u hopin to change from to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Where exactly are you getting 15k from?

well on top of paying first yr full fees plus reg fee plus full fees for new course any maintanance grant would have to be repaid from first year of the course you drop out of?

well on top of paying first yr full fees plus reg fee plus full fees for new course any maintanance grant would have to be repaid from first year of the course you drop out of?

Ok first off, less text speak, I can hardly understand you!

You don't have to pay full fees for the year you have just done. That is just wrong. You'll pay the reg fee and you will have to pay for any future first year you complete in another course. That is not 15K. As it says on the UCD Fees website:
    (b) 'Free' fee students who register and officially withdraw with their Programme Office (by completing the Withdrawal Form and absolutely returning the student card) after 1 February 2011 are liable for payment of the Student Services fee, the Student Centre levy i.e. €1,654.00. FURTHER, the full tuition fee will be claimed on the student’s behalf from the HEA. A student will have to pay full fees for the equivalent duration of attendance if s/he registers within the next 5 years in any Irish third level institution..
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/withdrawing_from_a_course.htm

You need to research this properly. The best advice is to visit the Programme Office and your student advisor and work out what to do. Given that exams are next week, it is an odd time to be doing this.

'FURTHER, the full tuition fee will be claimed on the student’s behalf from the HEA. ' whats this about then dude?

hoping to change from english and philosophy joint major

'FURTHER, the full tuition fee will be claimed on the student’s behalf from the HEA. ' whats this about then dude?

It means what it says. They will claim the tuition fee from the HEA on your behalf. Which is pretty clear in stating that you are not paying.

So they are saying that you have taken your free fees for first year and any further first year will have to be funded by yourself.

You are a first year, I have worked at the Student Desk in UCD. I know what I'm talking about!

well then that not so bad but to be honest 5 or 15 grand.. doesnt matter... cant afford it..plus, i rely on the full 3,250 grant which i wouldnt get if i moved to a new course for the first year, so just wouldnt work out! was just wondering the options avaiable in terms of internal transfers

well then that not so bad but to be honest 5 or 15 grand.. doesnt matter... cant afford it..plus, i rely on the full 3,250 grant which i wouldnt get if i moved to a new course for the first year, so just wouldnt work out! was just wondering the options avaiable in terms of internal transfers

Have you at least Googled "UCD Transfer yet?

This is the first result brought up by that search.

Transfer and Re-Admission:
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc#Internal

You need to talk to the Programme Office.

yes i have dude! but am just on here for advice espec people that have already transfered from arts to something else.. thats all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I transferred half way through second year from Computer Science into Arts and dropped no time at all.
    The key with UCD is to know the rules and understand how things work and take modules/electives accordingly.

Tell the program office what you want to do and how you are going to do it and you should be fine.
    If you are not sure on things, you need to go read more because if you screw up your registration, it's your fault (in terms of money and time).

• Advertisement

dyl10 wrote: »
    I transferred half way through second year from Computer Science into Arts and dropped no time at all.
    The key with UCD is to know the rules and understand how things work and take modules/electives accordingly.

Tell the program office what you want to do and how you are going to do it and you should be fine.
    If you are not sure on things, you need to go read more because if you screw up your registration, it's your fault (in terms of money and time).

I know I said this before, but your situation does not happen for everybody in every course. You matched the transfer criteria, not everybody does. The last person on here with a long thread trying to transfer got similar advice (tell them what you want and you can switch) but ended up not being able to transfer. It really does vary from course to course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

dyl10 wrote: »

I'm trying to do the same thing atm except I'm at the end of 1st year Comp Sci.What exactly did you have to do as I'm completely clueless about the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Sigi wrote: »
    I'm trying to do the same thing atm except I'm at the end of 1st year Comp Sci.What exactly did you have to do as I'm completely clueless about the procedure.

Parker Kent will know better than I.
    I don't know what modules you have done and what requirements you meet/don't meet but I had to have enough credits in my chosen subjects (which meant I took two electives in one subject stream) and then in 2nd year I needed to take three electives in my chosen subject (one was a substitute, not an elective). I then met the credit requirements and transferred at Christmas of 2nd year.

Basically, you need to be able to meet the requirements of your program to progress through each stage. It can be very expensive or time consuming to do that. In my case I was both lucky and clever with the way I went about things.

Best thing to do is to chat with the program office folks about how you can go about things and try to work out if you can do it. Try get to the stage where you can explain to them what and how you would like to do it.

Finally, do things early with registration always. The system (or it used to) locks out at different stages of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

Go and see your program officer.

I don't know where you're getting the figure of 15k but if you were to repeat the year it would cost you in and around €6000.

For every module we sit in UCD it cost €350, you would be paying this (x6) and your registration fee. There are other cost too I'm just not sure what they are but as far as I know it adds up to be around six thousand euro.

dude... im getting the figure because im getting the full grant ie 6 grand... and if i was to change courses i would have to pay the year just gone plus i wouldnt get my grant in year one of my new course.. on top of this is the reg fee = in and around 15k! ... all adds up!!

Advertisement