Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grad med application timeline

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hello,

was just wondering what a brief timeline for grad med applications would be? when to start studying for gamsat/when the exam is/CAO deadline/results/course offers... thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Heya, hope this helps:

When to start study:
    Totally depends on your background - In reality, it is different for every person. if you are a science graduate, you will typically need less time to study section 3 then someone who did a single since at Leaing Cert Level. Similar with competencies for section 1 and 2. Personally, i gave myself 5 months to study for all 3 sections combined but i had no prior experience of physics/chemistry and my english is at best a third language !!

The one thing i will say about when to start studying is that it is key to factor in time to do practice exams and tonnes of essays. Practice tests, questions and time management are as important as learning the content.

Date of Exam:
    It is possible to sit the exam twice yearly - In the UK in September and March in Ireland

Results:
    Results are typically published 2 months after the exam so November ( for UK sitting) and May (Ireland). However, there is no set date.

CAO:
    Your application has to be in on February 1st and supporting documentation has to be sent to CAO by mid March

Offers
    I think 0 Round offers are circulated in early August with 1st and 2nd round offers following later in the month

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Sorry just got back to this now. Thanks a lot for the reply!

So another question which has probably been asked before (sorry!!):

can you apply to the CAO by February, and then do the GAMSAT in March in Ireland; to enter the following September/October?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

No worries,

Yep you an apply for the CAO in February and still sit the exam in March.

Worth checking out the Graduate Medicine Info page on CAO website - it has all the info you need

Advertisement