Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about importing your own bike from Aus.

• 28-04-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

A few lads might have some insight of this.

My brother has moved back from Australia after 10 years, and sent his speed triple home in a container with all the documentation so it will clear customs in the UK. and then will be delivered by van from the UK.

He is curious that when he tries to re-register it here will he have to go out of his way to prove the bike was his before it was imported and not pay VRT? will they see that it's cleared UK customs so must be his own, or is it a big hassle with form after form to deal with?

no one in the family has migrated back to Ireland so never had to re-register a vehicle so just curious if anyone out there has done something similar and could shed some light on the situation.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If it is being registered here he will usually have to produce some documentation that he has owned the bike for x number of months before he moved here, I think you don't have to pay VRT if this is the case.
    Not sure about Single Vehicle Type Approval, but it shouldnt be too hard to get supporting documentation for the Trumpy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All the info from Revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

He needs to:

1. Keep all the shipping and container info.
    2. Have proof he was living in Australia for more than 12 months.
    3. Proof he owned the bike - registration title etc - for more than 12 months.

I brought a bike back from the US to Ireland and needed all of the above.

The Revenue were on the ball, and it was a good job I had everything in order.
    As long as the bike isn't being registered in the UK, then as long as he has the above he will be exempt from VAT and VRT.

Interestingly enough, given the way VRT is calculated on bikes, VAT is often the big hitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pkiernan wrote: »
    He needs to:

1. Keep all the shipping and container info.
    2. Have proof he was living in Australia for more than 12 months.
    3. Proof he owned the bike - registration title etc - for more than 12 months.

I brought a bike back from the US to Ireland and needed all of the above.

The Revenue were on the ball, and it was a good job I had everything in order.
    As long as the bike isn't being registered in the UK, then as long as he has the above he will be exempt from VAT and VRT.

Interestingly enough, given the way VRT is calculated on bikes, VAT is often the big hitter.

Have to have owned the vehicle for 6 months not 12.

I know that 6 months is enough for VRT exemption, but was not sure about ti being enough for VAT exemption.

OP: your brother will need to fill out the following form:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/forms/c-and-e1076.pdf

The following link will answer many of not all of his questions:

http://www.vrt.ie/vrtDetail.php?page=21

The same rules apply for motorbikes.

• Advertisement

And finally if the bike is sold within 12 months of bringing it to Ireland it will become liable to VAT and VRT charges. (I am not sure if/how this is enforced, but it is something to be aware of).

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

thanks for the info!
    he's done a bit of reading up about it but wanted to hear about it from people who have done it themselves. he's had the bike 10 years so should have enough proof of ownership.. and i dont think he would ever sell it so he's covered on that front too.

Advertisement