Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help .... looking to move

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

My husband and I are looking to move to Ireland. We are both Americans but in all honestly we need to get away from everything and have a brand new start and I feel any place in the US won’t give that to use (just the way of life). I know it sounds like a move, running off to Ireland but Ireland is actually something we agree on… but we have NO IDEA where to ever starts looking…we both love the quiet and would love a small town. (Like I mean my perfect place would be a town that has 2 stop lights in it and the second one is brand new). However he is an accountant so we night need to be close to a bigger city so we can have money (let’s be honest everyone needs money) we want to have kids and raise a family so that is important as well….
    I
    Please help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

My husband and I are looking to move to Ireland. We are both Americans but in all honestly we need to get away from everything and have a brand new start and I feel any place in the US won’t give that to use (just the way of life). I know it sounds like a move, running off to Ireland but Ireland is actually something we agree on… but we have NO IDEA where to ever starts looking…we both love the quiet and would love a small town. (Like I mean my perfect place would be a town that has 2 stop lights in it and the second one is brand new). However he is an accountant so we night need to be close to a bigger city so we can have money (let’s be honest everyone needs money) we want to have kids and raise a family so that is important as well….
    I
    Please help!!!!

There's a website called Move to Ireland that appears to be written by an American who did what you are hoping to do. Lots of details there from cultural things to details on how to apply for Work Permits etc.

http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/workperm.htm

Seems to be a good guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My honest and best advice is do some serious research on the country before moving here.

Ireland is still going through a pretty bad recession, and jobs are hard to come by. Try and make sure you or your partner can get a job here before moving over.

Other than that, Cork City and County are actually great places to live, friendly atmosphere mostly and pretty quiet.

Just hope you don't mind the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I
    Please help!!!!

Can I ask why you're picked Ireland and have you both visted here before?

My sister moved to Boston back in '93 but she is now seriously considering moving back to Ireland. What is going on over there that people now want to leave the US behind?

Oh and by the way, it doesn't rain here as much as people think, in fact this is the driest, warmest and sunniest April ever! This past winter was very dry too though record-breaking cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ihopeyoudance

Big Tone wrote: »
    Can I ask why you're picked Ireland and have you both visted here before?

My sister moved to Boston back in '93 but she is now seriously considering moving back to Ireland. What is going on over there that people now want to leave the US behind?

Oh and by the way, it doesn't rain here as much as people think, in fact this is the driest, warmest and sunniest April ever! This past winter was very dry too though record-breaking cold.

I live and work in Boston!! it's a different way of life over here anymove... if your job isn't priority number one (like working 80 hours week for your same 40 hour Salary) your looked at as you don't care. If you put family first that's unheard of, and if you are a woman who works ( like me) and wants to start a family you are never looks at the same way again at work... and they make it very hard for woman to work and have families... I feel life is to short...

Other places in the the US that aren't cities that aren't like that but there are NO jobs or ever potential jobs..... the goal is that Ireland would be a balance of both.... be able to have a job but also quite and a family...

I want to thank everyone for their input.:) I totally understand about the economy and jumping head first into a new country, and i promise the is not what we are doing... we would never move until at least he had a job lined up. ( he company that he works for now has an office in Dublin so that might be a possibility as well. I just wanted to if this does come to pass and we do move ( once everything is in place) where the best place to live would be. Like I said we are in the beginng stages of this moving thing and I thank you all for your Input :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

If your job isn't priority number one (like working 80 hours week for your same 40 hour Salary) your looked at as you don't care. If you put family first that's unheard of, and if you are a woman who works ( like me) and wants to start a family you are never looks at the same way again at work... and they make it very hard for woman to work and have families... I feel life is to short...

Other places in the the US that aren't cities that aren't like that but there are NO jobs or ever potential jobs..... the goal is that Ireland would be a balance of both.... be able to have a job but also quite and a family...

I'm an American living in Cork with my Irish husband and our child and I get asked by people here all the time why we're living here and not back in the States. What you say is, in my own experience, absolutely true and one of the primary reasons why we're here and not there. Irish culture is much more family-focused in general, and you can be successful in your career without doing so at the expense of your personal life.

Good luck with your pursuit. I feel very fortunate to be able to call Ireland home.

I want a career and a family (but the most important thing is a family) and at least all the places that me and my husband have seen or worked at or our friends and family have worked at you can't have both... because companies make it impossible to do both. they do this by late night, expecting you to come in on weekends (even then there is really not a lot to do) you have to have your blackberry on at all times and you end up getting emails at like 10 pm and if you don't respond then it comes back to bite you in the morning when you get to work.... on an denying you your Holiday days .... My husband last year was booked on a innovatory account on CHristmas eve... the day after Christmas and New Years eve. I understand things have to get done but does it really need to be all of those days?

Advertisement