Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE board tells Reilly it is willing to resign

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0428/hse.html

The board of the Health Service Executive has told Minister for Health Dr James Reilly that it is willing to stand down.
    An interim board is to be put in place which will consist of HSE executives and Department of Health officials.
    The development follows a meeting between the minister and the board this afternoon at which he was expected to ask the board to resign.
    Mr Reilly earlier refused to give any details about what he planned to say to the board at the meeting.
    Entering a skin cancer awareness function in Dublin this morning, in response to questions about whether or not he would ask the board to go Mr Reilly said: 'I'll wait out of deference to the board, I will wait until I see them to tell them what I have to say.
    'They have done the State some considerable service and are worthy of respect in that regard.'
    While the minister has been critical of the operation of the HSE, he does not have the power to compel their resignations.
    Mr Reilly sought legal advice from the Attorney General in relation to the matter.

For how much?

These kinda guys don't go without a hefty pay off. Who is going to replace them? Is it just another media show where one bunch of idiots hands the power to their buddies across the road. Will we get real reform?

Me thinks not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

delonglad wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0428/hse.html

For how much?

These kinda guys don't go without a hefty pay off. Who is going to replace them? Is it just another media show where one bunch of idiots hands the power to their buddies across the road. Will we get real reform?

Me thinks not!

If the minister doesn't have the power to fire these people, who does? Seems like a crazy situation if they're completely unaccountable.

Please tell me they will have the sense to rewrite the contracts before hiring replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

hardCopy wrote: »
    Please tell me they will have the sense to rewrite the contracts before hiring replacements.

Don't hold your breath this is Ireland! They will probably give them a massive pension and a bonus for being able to write their name in squigglies on the sign here section of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

delonglad wrote: »
    Don't hold your breadth this is Ireland! They will probably give them a massive pension and a bonus for being able to write their name in squigglies on the sign here section of the contract.

This is something that really annoys me, so many times we see the government unable to fire someone at will or alter employees terms of employment. Why are we so incapable of ensuring that future hires are on different contracts?

Probably a topic for another thread but it's something that really bugs me, every time the goverment backs down from a fight they continue hiring under the same terms so that the government in 20 years time have to fight the same battles.

[EDIT]I may have ranted too early, apparently O'Reilly plans to abolish the board structure by the end of the year.
    Story from the Journal[/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Strange move? Not sure I see what's up ahead on this one...
    Anyone got any insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

dan_d wrote: »
    Not sure I see what's up ahead on this one...
    Anyone got any insight?
    Yep, Same circus, Different clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

A bit...more?...insight?!

What's the point in replacing, and (in all likelihood) paying them off just to replace them with the same crowd....???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The board wont be replaced and there won't be a severance pay. The Minister is bringing in a law to block the need for such a board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Breaking new .ie reporting there will be no severance packages.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/oreilly-to-accept-resignations-of-hse-board-503002.html

Anyone believe this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Knight990

Breaking new .ie reporting there will be no severance packages.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/oreilly-to-accept-resignations-of-hse-board-503002.html

Anyone believe this ?

No severance packages that we can see, but this wouldn't be Ireland if there weren't a few envelopes changing hands.

The only way they would retire with no severance packages is if they voluntarily gave them up. Now I cannot see that happening. Not unless Jim's got some major dirt on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Knight990 wrote: »
    No severance packages that we can see, but this wouldn't be Ireland if there weren't a few envelopes changing hands.

Are you claiming that the members of the HSE board are corrupt? This is something that I have never seen suggested anywhere else.

That's really a situation where you should prove your claim or withdraw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I won't be happy til the HSE is gone forever

I won't be happy til the HSE is gone forever

Looks like you are going to get your wish.

Don't work up too much happiness just yet: wait until you see what replaces it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

hardCopy wrote: »
    If the minister doesn't have the power to fire these people, who does? Seems like a crazy situation if they're completely unaccountable.

Not at all. It happens all the time. An employer can't just fire a worker without sufficent reason. Workers' rights can't just apply to the lower paid...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

But, these people are members of the board, not employees, so they aren't entitled to redundancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭voter1983

Seems to be the start of a reform of the health service. Hope he's going to go after the excessive levels of middle management next. then he should be able to redeploy resources to front line services.

Are you claiming that the members of the HSE board are corrupt? This is something that I have never seen suggested anywhere else.

That's really a situation where you should prove your claim or withdraw it.

I wouldn't call it a 'claim', so much as a civil observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Most likely just hire them back as consultants.

I wouldn't call it a 'claim', so much as a civil observation.

Bollocks. You have impugned the members of the HSE board by suggesting that they are likely to receive secret payments.

Do you believe that any of the people identified here would want or accept backhanders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

Bollocks. You have impugned the members of the HSE board by suggesting that they are likely to receive secret payments.

Do you believe that any of the people identified here would want or accept backhanders?

+1

Why are we, the Irish people, so gullible? In the boom years we believe everyone to be infallible, in the bad years we believe everyone to be corrupt and self serving.

The HSE was a disaster, don't think anyone is disputing that. The Minister asked the board to resign, and they did so. Hopefully the new system will be an improvement.

But why look for conspiracy theories in every governmental decision? We didn't in the good years, and now we've flipped 180 degrees which can only hinder our recovery.

Why can't we accept a middle ground of questioning decisions without presupposing them to be inherently good, or inherently bad?

• Advertisement

I "impugn" most members of that level of administration everywhere - forgive me for not trusting people, but have a look back at the last few years. When I get a reason to trust people, I will. Until then, i'll keep "impugning".

I "impugn" most members of that level of administration everywhere - forgive me for not trusting people, but have a look back at the last few years. When I get a reason to trust people, I will. Until then, i'll keep "impugning".

With that attitude, you deserve to have your life governed by corrupt self-serving people.

With that attitude, you deserve to have your life governed by corrupt self-serving people.

At the risk of attracting the mod's wrath by going off topic, i'll simply end my little sojourn into this conversation by saying: "Trust is earned".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

It is great to see the typical hypocrisy going on in this thread.

*chant* 'high paid useless board members out'*chat*

when its done

*chant* 'no severance pay, no severance pay blah blah uninformed crap blah no severance pay' *chant*

when that is done

'ah sure **** them they are just corrupt basterds anyway they are figuring a way to screw us, no I know this is what I was asking for but its just not right'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Einhard wrote: »
    Not at all. It happens all the time. An employer can't just fire a worker without sufficent reason. Workers' rights can't just apply to the lower paid...

Does "didn't do a decent job / what they were hired to do" not count?. i never said i agree with

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Does "didn't do a decent job / what they were hired to do" not count?. i never said i agree with

There are very few things that are serious enough, to justify in the eyes of the law, skipping all the legally necessary disciplinary procedures and go straight to firing

Someone I worked with was caught on camera stealing womens purses out of their jackets during the office christmas party and he still got a pay off and a reference when I am sure they would have liked nothing more then to tell him to take a hike and never come back or they will press charges

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

PeakOutput wrote: »
    Someone I worked with was caught on camera stealing womens purses out of their jackets during the office christmas party and he still got a pay off and a reference when I am sure they would have liked nothing more then to tell him to take a hike and never come back or they will press charges

What? Off topic but giving a reference to a person like that is disgraceful and has to border on something like fraud, e.g. knowingly recommending a faulty good

What? Off topic but giving a reference to a person like that is disgraceful and has to border on something like fraud, e.g. knowingly recommending a faulty good

Yep I agree but it was obviously deemed to be less costly to the company to let him resign with a payoff then to fire him and risk an unfair dismissal case being brought against him. It was also worded in such a way so that 'people in the know' would realize there was something else going on but to a casual observer(ie him) it would appear like an alright neutral enough reference

Haven't court case been brought over this kind of thing ? Giving someone a reference when they are **** i mean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement