Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TT Pursuit - Howth Hill style

• 28-04-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭

Having spent some time doing W200 training around Howth (village side up only), I’m become quite enamoured with the loop. Probably a Stockholm syndrome-type scenario, I enjoy that special type of short-lived pain the hill going up through the village gives. Anyway, on my last descent on Weds I thought of a sick little idea. What if you could do an event that paired up people of similar ability (from Boards TT info maybe?) and set them up of opposing sides of the hill and they set off in the classic clockwise direction.

The first to catch the other is the victor. Needless to say this would involve excruciating pain and such and such, but I thought the concept was nonetheless interesting.

Who’s in?!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

christeb wrote: »
    Having spent some time doing W200 training around Howth (village side up only), I’m become quite enamoured with the loop. Probably a Stockholm syndrome-type scenario, I enjoy that special type of short-lived pain the hill going up through the village gives. Anyway, on my last descent on Weds I thought of a sick little idea. What if you could do an event that paired up people of similar ability (from Boards TT info maybe?) and set them up of opposing sides of the hill and they set off in the classic clockwise direction.

The first to catch the other is the victor. Needless to say this would involve excruciating pain and such and such, but I thought the concept was nonetheless interesting.

Who’s in?!!

Back in the day I used to put myself through this kind of caper... for added pain, have you tried the route up through the village but go right of the church instead? Bound to make you dizzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

justo wrote: »
    Back in the day I used to put myself through this kind of caper... for added pain, have you tried the route up through the village but go right of the church instead? Bound to make you dizzy.

Haven't tried this yet, but I'm comfortably doing 3 x laps now. Hoping to get it up to 6+ before the W200.

Also for those who have completed the W200 - is this hill good training for it or would I be better doing anti-clockwise loops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Used it quite a bit...the Haggard we call it. Its very steep at the start but then flattens a bit.

There used to be a race up there af ew years ago. I think the route was halfway down the hill towards the village left and then left again and back out at the summit inn...carnage I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I do the right side of the church each time I go to Howth. Did it a month or so ago with my bro who blasted up it all the way in the big ring! Was amazed as I nearly fell over the bars in the small ring trying to keep upright and going!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Remember 1988 morana !!

The millennium stage of the Nissan.

We cycled out to watch the bunch climb the village side of Howth thinking they'd suffer at least to an extent..

Feckers cruised up it in the big ring chatting away to each other. I think they went over 3 times? Alan Pieper won the stage but Paul Kimmage was away in the break all day.
    (ROlf Golz won the overall beating Kelly for the first time in a Nissan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Remember it well..Spratty on the attack before Howth but Kelly wouldnt let him away. Those were the days!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

you guys must be very old .....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

christeb wrote: »
    Haven't tried this yet, but I'm comfortably doing 3 x laps now. Hoping to get it up to 6+ before the W200.

Also for those who have completed the W200 - is this hill good training for it or would I be better doing anti-clockwise loops?

Back and forwards i.e. Sutton -> Summit -> Village -> Summit -> Sutton. You don't really want to allow 10 minutes recovery by lapping the peninsula.
    Repeat as neccessary.
    I got into the habit of Sutton climb, Haggard climb (right at the church), Village Climb, sort of 3.25 climbs as the Haggard climb rejoins about three quarters of way up the Sutton side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

souter wrote: »
    Back and forwards i.e. Sutton -> Summit -> Village -> Summit -> Sutton. You don't really want to allow 10 minutes recovery by lapping the peninsula.
    Repeat as neccessary.
    I got into the habit of Sutton climb, Haggard climb (right at the church), Village Climb, sort of 3.25 climbs as the Haggard climb rejoins about three quarters of way up the Sutton side.

Thanks for this, seems like the thing to do to maximise hills in a short space of time. I suppose I just enjoy that descent too much. I'll give this "loop" a go next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

If you go right after the haggard part (as opposed to following the road around to the left and coming out 3/4 of the way up the village side) the road ramps up significantly again and is an absolute killer on top of the first bit. You should come out pretty much right at the irish times shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I do the right side of the church each time I go to Howth. Did it a month or so ago with my bro who blasted up it all the way in the big ring! Was amazed as I nearly fell over the bars in the small ring trying to keep upright and going!
    Check for a motor in the downtube.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Try this:

Start out on Carrickbrack Road - climb to the Summit Inn and down Thormanby Road to the village - go left at the church up the Haggard to Summit Inn - turn right and go back down Carrickbrack Road to the second right - head up and over Windgate Road and at the end turn left heading back down the Haggard to the village - turn right at the church and head up Thormanby Road to the summit - take a right onto Balkhill Road and further down a left back onto Windgate - at the end turn right for home or left to do it all over again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement