Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

australia after hibernia

• 28-04-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi all .
    I just started hibernia in febuary. really enjoying it.
    I was doing the odd day subbing here and there i live in a rural area schools find it hard to find qualifieds.
    Anywas with all these cuts, no jobs, bein affected by 10% when i finish up im thinking of moving to australia.
    My boyfriend of 4 years is leaving i feel that there are so many job prospects for him out there but is there for me? im really thinking of going with him. We are only 22 and il be 23 when finished this course no house no kids or anything.
    I have b.a done and now this 18months course will there be any substitute jobs out there for me or do you need the 4 year degree ? Does anyone know what the money is like? Its a major decison im so confused
    Would love to hear from somebody.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭pooch90

As far as I know a postgrad (ie Hibernia) will count as a 4 year degree so you should be able to work full time over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 leanne11

Hi. I'm a school teacher in Australia, employed permanently with DECS in South Australia. I joined this site because I'm travelling to Ireland at Christmas and wanted to find out about the 'secret' Ireland that you only hear about from locals. Stumbled across your post, so...

You need a 4-year bachelor of education (or equivalent) to teach here in Australia, all states. You would be able to complete any necessary qualifications through Charles Darwin Uni (correspondence) or attend one of our local universities to complete any requirements.

We have pretty good pay rates. I can't tell you off the top of my head which state is the higest paid, but it tends to go hand in hand with the cost of living in each of those states. A first-year out teacher would start on 57k, and it goes up approximately 3k per year for 8 years. Our final pay raise comes with a step 9, and that's about 83k per year.

If you're prepared to work in rural locations you will have a much higher chance of winning a contract. There's a lot of relief work in the city, but very little in the way of permanency/contracts. I have friends from university (I finished my degree 6.5 years ago) who are still relieving because they wanted to stay in the city. Crazy, in my opinion! :D

Anyway, hope that's helpful in some way. :)

Advertisement