Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

australia after h.dip

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi all .
    I just started hibernia in febuary. really enjoying it.
    I was doing the odd day subbing here and there i live in a rural area schools find it hard to find qualifieds.
    Anywas with all these cuts, no jobs, bein affected by 10% when i finish up im thinking of moving to australia.
    My boyfriend of 4 years is leaving i feel that there are so many job prospects for him out there but is there for me? im really thinking of going with him. We are only 22 and il be 23 when finished this course no house no kids or anything.
    I have b.a done and now this 18months course will there be any substitute jobs out there for me or do you need the 4 year degree ? Where is the best place to go ?Does anyone know what the money is like? Its a major decison im so confused
    Would love to hear from somebody.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Lads fill me in what's a H Dip ? If its a Higher Diploma whats it in?

Op is your boyfriend leaving you behind? What does he do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

Hibernia=online post grad for primary teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Zambia wrote: »

Op is your boyfriend leaving you behind? What does he do?

H Dip is a teaching diploma as far as I know.

as I said in another thread,
    "can get a WHV, spend 3 months doing farm work/rural construction then you can get a 2nd WHV.
    So 1.75years to live where ever you want in Oz and find sponsorship etc"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

Pity teaching in rural areas doesn't count towards 2nd WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,351 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zambia wrote: »
    hussey wrote: »
    H Dip is a teaching diploma as far as I know.
    Both right :D
    A H Dip is a higher diploma.

But generally, THE H Dip refers to a Higher Diploma in teaching. Which is what the OP meant.

Sash, there is a world of opportunity in australia, and you may or my not get a teaching job (i had friends who got some hours subbing through agency) but that doesn't meant is not a good experience. You'll still get a job if you want, from traffic control, to office work, to waitress to bar staff.

They won't all be directly related to your career. But there is a lot to be saie for somebody who has travelled and seen some of the worlds other cultures. i imagine this is especially true for primary school teachers. It will reflect positively on you imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bugz24

Hi Sash,

Im away in June to Melbourne. I am a Fully Qualified Secondary Teacher. I am going to be working with an agency with the hope of being sponsored.

As I have gone through the processes already just a little heads up.
    * You have to register with the relevant state(s) you'll be in so your legal and registered to teach. Bit like Teaching Council here! They asses you qualifications and your experience to date and this allows you to teach legally. Cost was $145.
    *Cost $155 to sign up with agency (Anzuk) and they give you a pack when you arrive and get you work.

I was told by VISAFIRST who do all the visas here in Ireland for the likes of USIT and ABBEY TRAVEL that primary is not in huge demand its more early childhood and second level. Nothing stopping you doing early childhood I wouldn't think

I didnt know of the costs and paperwork until I really started looking into it and it took awhile to get all paper work like official certified copies of results and transcripts/parchments, official letter of supervisied teaching, references and character references and your police certificate. I got mine very quick but my travel buddy was waiting alot longer.

Hope this helps a little just to prepare you for the paperwork.. We are going on WHV but you still need all of this..

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

The Hdip is probably equal to the australian Post Graduate Diploma in Teaching. An 18 month course that you can do it you already have a degree and want to become a teacher.

Trying to get relief work is your best option, especially as a primary school teacher. Way too many underemployed primary schools teachers here in WA. Putting yourself forward for maternity relief in rural areas may help secure a longer term contract as rural areas always struggle to get teachers. You can also approach the Catholic school sector. You are supposed to do a special course (another 6 months, I believe) here to be able to teach in catholic schools but a qualified teacher from Ireland may mean that you can teach religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 red83

Im doing Hibernia at the moment and will be finished in August. is this enough to get teaching work in Aus or do you need the dip aswell.

Advertisement