Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye test

Options
  • 28-04-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Does anyone know whats up with the Garda eye exam ? It says on the site :

Defective Vision: the vision standard required of a Garda trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision.

The part I'm confused about it the (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) I wear glasses and was told recently that I have 20/20 vision with my glasses ?

Also should I wait till they say I need laser eye surgery or just get it ? My prescription in -1.75 -1.25 and I don't have a clue if that's better than 6/9 etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

nathancool wrote: »
    Does anyone know whats up with the Garda eye exam ? It says on the site :

Defective Vision: the vision standard required of a Garda trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision.

The part I'm confused about it the (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) I wear glasses and was told recently that I have 20/20 vision with my glasses ?

Also should I wait till they say I need laser eye surgery or just get it ? My prescription in -1.75 -1.25 and I don't have a clue if that's better than 6/9 etc

I would also like some clarification on the issue, my eye sight is -2.75 in both eyes, and im going for the medical this month, this is the part of the medical exam im most worried about, would that be ok to pass? or how strict would they be? I normally wear contacts or glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

20/20 is the Americanised/imperial way of measuring vision, in europe its metric so 20/20 = 6/6 which is better than 6/9

-2.75 will likely mean that unaided vision will be blurred to 6/60 or worse

Best thing to do is phone/call in to your optician. If it is a good practice they should glady explain how your respective visions meet/ do not meet the garda requirements. Just bring a printout of those requirements with you

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Could an applicant go two the medical and pass the eye test with glasses and then go get laser eye surgery ? as I dont think you can wear glasses as a Garda Reserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

OK, I've never tried for the GS, but I had to get laser eye surgery so I could apply to join the PSNI, I know I would had to have done the same for GB forces and the PSNI and GB forces are 6/36 unaided. My eyesight was 6/48. If you ask your optitian they will be able to tell you what your eyesight is, it only took a couple of minutes for me, I got it checked whilst having an eye test as it aint free. They bring the letters up on the screen and once you can't make them out anymore that gives you your rating, that's the only way to check it as far as I know.

You will have to pass the 6/18 unaided rate first before they take into account your aided rate.

dx22 wrote: »
    20/20 is the Americanised/imperial way of measuring vision, in europe its metric so 20/20 = 6/6 which is better than 6/9

-2.75 will likely mean that unaided vision will be blurred to 6/60 or worse

Best thing to do is phone/call in to your optician. If it is a good practice they should glady explain how your respective visions meet/ do not meet the garda requirements. Just bring a printout of those requirements with you

Thnks for the info, I will ask my optician as soon as I can, what happens If you dont meet the unaided vision requirement, would wearing contacts do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 donal1234

if you pass the medical but fail the eye test,you have 6 months to have your surgery done without having to go back,I had the medical in may 2008,failed eye test,had laser done in September and started training in November

donal1234 wrote: »
    if you pass the medical but fail the eye test,you have 6 months to have your surgery done without having to go back,I had the medical in may 2008,failed eye test,had laser done in September and started training in November

How bad was your eyesight before the medical, is the eye test very strict? my eyesight is -2.75 i think, whatever that means :confused:
    Also do you have to decide straight away there that your getting laser eye surgery or can you think about it first and get back to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jaymacc

I would also like some clarification on the issue, my eye sight is -2.75 in both eyes, and im going for the medical this month, this is the part of the medical exam im most worried about, would that be ok to pass? or how strict would they be? I normally wear contacts or glasses.

Hi, Im just wondering if you passed? Im in the same boat as you with this! Hoping you passed as my medical is soon!!

Jaymacc wrote: »
    Hi, Im just wondering if you passed? Im in the same boat as you with this! Hoping you passed as my medical is soon!!

Hi unfortunately i failed on the eyesight part of the medical, passed everything else, got given 6 months to get the laser eye surgery, so im going getting it done soon. Hopefully you will pass your medical, good luck with it.

Advertisement