Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 month Baby snacking on formula

Options
  • 28-04-2011 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi,
    Does anyone have any tips on how to stop my baby snacking on his formula? He should be taking a 7 oz bottle, but he takes 3 and 4 oz at a time instead. one bottle can take 1.5 hours to get into him. Also sometimes he wants the bottle, but he takes a sip, then turns his head and spits it out? I am trying gaviscon today- to see if he has some sort of reflux. But I have no other symptoms.
    Any guidance appreciated! I am a first time mum, so its all one big learning curve!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Try a different formula maybe.

But he's probably just got into a habit. Skip once of the snack feeds and he'll be hungry at his next feed and will take the whole bottle. Rinse and repeat to get him back into the habit of feeding properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kb585

Thanks!
    he screams the house down for each snack though! Might have to just try harder to distract him!
    Thanks for the response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

None of my daughters ever took more than 4oz in their bottle at a time... every 4 hours...

January wrote: »
    None of my daughters ever took more than 4oz in their bottle at a time... every 4 hours...

Even at 5 months January? Everyone had me convinced he should be on full bottles by now. Plus - :mad: his snacking continues throughout the night.

Even at 12 months when they would go more than 4 hours between a bottle. I always put at least 6 ounces in in the hopes that they'd drink it but they never ever finished a bottle more than 4 oz... only one sleeps through the night though!

• Advertisement

oh dear, perhaps I should just accept it so! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

have you tried the next size teeth.

I have. At 5 months he is on level 3. It got more into him, he was only taking 2-3 oz

All babies are different, you could try skipping a feed and trying to get more into him that way but don't get stressed if it doesn't work. Don't let other people tell you what your baby "should" be doing at this age etc... if you're worried bring him to the GP or PHN and seek their advice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What january said.
    If he's healthy, lively and happy don't stress over it. Everyone has a different appetite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Totally agree with January
    my little one never took more than 4oz and again it was every 4hrs
    each baby is different and like you i had to listen to everyone telling me he should be on 7oz for his age i stressed and worried and questioned myself like you would not believe but in the end had to stop that as he is one healthy happy baby and at the end of the day thats all that matters

Thanks guys, that's reassuring. He's just a little and often baby so. Did your babies do the same during the night too? Night can be worse - wakening every 3 or less hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

yes my little one was like that at night too he is now eight months old and still wakes for a nappy change and a bottle he goes down at 7pm and wakes around 2am then is up and at it around 6am and he hates napping during the day think he is afraid he might miss something :-D so its all go
    but yes he used to wake a few times during the night try him with a drink of water before giving him the bottle if he settles great if not then he is hungry so give the bottle but you have to start making the time between feeds a little longer for your own sanity and to teach your little one to take more when he is feed
    best of luck with it and hope the sleep deprivation isnt getting too much do try sleep when he does

Thanks edellc, well this morning we have a tooth!!!!!! A top tooth, so that might explain some of the snacking. ( he used to drink 5 and 6 oz). Its just a white spec at this stage, how long before it comes out fully??
    He has always been up 4 times a night, so thats nothing to do with snacking, I have resigned myself to the fact that he is just not going to sleep through for quite a while, but I didn't like the snacking - coz it just wasn't like him. Thanks for all the replies! Boards is a great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Yeah Elisha does be like that when she's getting tooth i find rubbing some bonjela or calgel on her gums helps alot. Her front tooth cut through about 2 months ago and is still not down fully but saying that in the two weeks after that cut another 3 top teeth cut through so she's has 4 half front teeth now! I think these teeth are taking there time the bottom ones only took a day or two too cut through and about week/2 weeks to be a full tooth. But every child is diff

Advertisement