Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6÷2(1+2)=?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

The answer is 1

Nein.

As said above, both are technically correct. I came up with 9. Other people I know came up with 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

nummnutts wrote: »
    Nein.

As said above, both are technically correct. I came up with 9. Other people I know came up with 1.
    Whoever says 9 is WRONG. You always work out whatever is in the brackets first and you get 1. If you use a calculator it will also tell you 1. Therefore 1 is the correct answer.

*close thread*

Whoever says 9 is WRONG. You always work out whatever is in the brackets first and you get 1. If you use a calculator it will also tell you 1. Therefore 1 is the correct answer.

*close thread*

No it won't tell you 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

What we should really do is take the answer to be a random variable, and then trawl this thread for sample values, and then use those sample values to determine the probability that it is one or the other, and finally get the random variable's expected value. ;)
    28064212 wrote: »
    I don't think any of those are exactly huge leaps of logic, or entirely new concepts to maths

They're obviously not new concepts to mathematics, but they are huge leaps of logic. I could equally make the assumptions that:
    • Multiplication and division do not have equal precedence
    • Multiplication and division are right-associative
    I don't see any reason to accept yours over mine?

bluewolf wrote: »
    No it won't tell you 1
    Then your obviously not using brackets, like everyone else.

Then your obviously not using brackets, like everyone else.

My am using brackets, but there is only one set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

What we should really do is take the answer to be a random variable, and then trawl this thread for sample values, and then use those sample values to determine the probability that it is one or the other, and finally get the random variable's expected value. ;)

They're obviously not new concepts to mathematics, but they are huge leaps of logic. I could equally make the assumptions that:

Brackets have precedence over everything..

Brackets have precedence over everything..
    What he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

Pretty sure this is a mind trick of some sort set out to confuse us. I initially thought 1, too, but in fact I think it's 9.

6÷2(1+2)

is actually

mathsj.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's only when you write it down that you see it becomes 6 over 2, which is 3, times 3 = 9. I think :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

I put it into excell and it corrected me into putting the formula as 6/2*(1+2) which equals 9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

*close thread*

Heres a calculator:

www.google.com.

type the equation into google. And search.

( Not that they are right, it just demolishes the calculator argument).

If you read the thread the consensus is that the answer is ambiguous.

Yahew wrote: »
    Heres a calculator:

www.google.com.

type the equation into google. And search.

( Not that they are right, it just demolishes the calculator argument).

If you read the thread the consensus is that the answer is ambiguous.
    Maths wasn't designed to give ambiguous answers. If you had paid attention in 5th class maths you would have learned that the brackets are always worked out first. 1 is the answer.

Maths wasn't designed to give ambiguous answers. If you had paid attention in 5th class maths you would have learned that the brackets are always worked out first. 1 is the answer.

This has nothing to do with the brackets being worked out first. We're all assuming they are worked out first. The problem is after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

My answer is still 1 no matter what way I look at it, thats because I associate the 2(1+2) as a unit and work on that before I do anything else just in the same way I'd treat √(1+2) as the √3 and (1+2)² as 3². The reason there is no x or * as in 2x(1+2) is becuase its assumed the numeral outside the braket is multiplied by whats in the bracket, so doing the division first would be incorrect.

But I don't really expect to convince anyone who thinks the answer is 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭PenguinMan

Brackets worked out first leaves us with

6/2 x 3.
    6/2 = 3.
    3 x 3 = 9.

bluewolf wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the brackets being worked out first. We're all assuming they are worked out first. The problem is after that.
    Working out the brackets in this equation includes multiplying what is outside it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

29et01g.jpg

btw the answer is 9. 3(3)=9 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

*close thread*

I, and many others, don't believe that to be so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

So your first argument was that your calculator was correct, and now that you are shown a calculator with a different answer we are back to 5th class maths.

I think we've all moved on from 5th class maths in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭aas

But surely we're agreeing to work within the framework of mathematics that's commonly used around the world, in which multiplication and division have equal precedence and we perform operations from the left? No one is arguing that you can't construct a notation for arithmetic where your two rules hold, but the point is that there is an existing convention that removes any ambiguity in the expression.

Yahew wrote: »
    So your first argument was that your calculator was correct, and now that you are shown a calculator with a different answer we are back to 5th class maths.

I think we've all moved on from 5th class maths in this forum.
    Nope, my calculator gave me 1 as the answer so it seems that different calculators give different answers or people just arn't including the brackets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭nothing

The reason for getting different answers on different calculators/programs is that they have different ways of dealing with the "implied multiplication" which some programs are made to take as a precedent over other multiplication, which is where the ambiguity comes in (i.e. the multiplication between the 2 and the bracketed part being higher than regular multiplication). Of course, this equation is not in standardized non-ambiguous notation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Its 1, when I saw it first I thought 9 too, but when I put some effort into it I got one.

Also Sharp El-531RH says 1 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭aas

kona wrote: »
    Its 1, when I saw it first I thought 9 too, but when I put some effort into it I got one.

Also Sharp El-531RH says 1 too.

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

It's 1, brackets always first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I go for a game of football and I come back to this rubbish *waves bye to thread*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement