Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics question...

• 28-04-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Short and sweet: if you make a mistake in a maths part of a physics question, like a simple slip and get the wrong answer, do they carry on that answer to the rest of your questions (and you're only deducted marks for it once) or are you penalised throughout as your wrong answer in one part will lead to wrong answers in other parts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

I only know that in Maths they can only penalise you once, so I would say that it would be ridiculous if they did differently with Physics. It's the steps you take to get the answer that are the important part, not the actual answer, that's why it is important to show all your work.

Sorry if that is completley unrelated to physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I only know that in Maths they can only penalise you once, so I would say that it would be ridiculous if they did differently with Physics. It's the steps you take to get the answer that are the important part, not the actual answer, that's why it is important to show all your work.

Sorry if that is completley unrelated to physics.
    Aye, however my teacher is recommending us not to the mechanics question in physics because if you "go off track" once you're fecked. I'm wondering though, it wouldn't really be that bad if they only penalised your mistakes once, although you probably would get out insane answers (indicating you've done something wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

jumpguy wrote: »
    Aye, however my teacher is recommending us not to the mechanics question in physics because if you "go off track" once you're fecked. I'm wondering though, it wouldn't really be that bad if they only penalised your mistakes once, although you probably would get out insane answers (indicating you've done something wrong).

Here's what the official marking scheme has to say:
    Each time an arithmetical slip occurs in a calculation, one mark is deducted.

I think that means you do only get penalised once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

What the above poster said. According to my teacher you can only be penalised once.

Advertisement