Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale, in Victoria

Options
  • 28-04-2011 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hey guys.

I've been offered farm work in Sale which is 2hours east of Victoria, I need farm work in order to gain my 2nd year visa etc, but does anyone know a bit about the place, because I went to Mildura a few months back and it was horrible and I fled the place, hoping this doesn't happen again as I can't afford to be out of work etc. I'm working in Melbourne but that won't get me my 2nd year. Any help or info would be greatly appericated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What was wrong with Mildura???

Mate someone could give you a glowing report about Sale and it could still be pants, your going to have to suck it and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rebel Boy wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I've been offered farm work in Sale which is 2hours east of VictoriaMelbourne,

No idea where Sale is, but guessing you meant east of melbourne, east of Victoria is NSW.
    Just said I'd point it out as someothers may be in a similar area

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Mellor wrote: »
    No idea where Sale is, but guessing you meant east of melbourne, east of Victoria is NSW.
    Just said I'd point it out as someothers may be in a similar area

Opps :o. Ya its about 2hrs east of Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Never been there, but...
    A couple of Aussie sisters I worked with on the Gold Coast had connections down there. Use to head down for a long weekend if they got four days off together. From what I can remember I think they use to talk about yachting down there and that it was quite green.

If your not sure why dont you head out for a day or a weekend and check the place out? Two hours is no distance not to go for a tiki-tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

how long you need to spend down there? i would defo take the work. i imagine it would be a far better place to be than mildura. a weekend trip into the city is very feasible, its prob only about 2.5 hrs on the train. you are not far from the sea, could get a bit of surf or fishing in. lakes entance is pretty close, traralgon which is a bigger town is not far away either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

lg123 wrote: »
    how long you need to spend down there? i would defo take the work. i imagine it would be a far better place to be than mildura. a weekend trip into the city is very feasible, its prob only about 2.5 hrs on the train. you are not far from the sea, could get a bit of surf or fishing in. lakes entance is pretty close, traralgon which is a bigger town is not far away either.

Well I need to sepend 3months there to get the 88days done to be able to gain my 2nd year visa. Would like to get the farm work done asap just to put my mind at ease etc. Its around $22 each way from Melbourne CBD to there which is good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm originally from Warragul which is in West Gippsland - Sale is part of East Gippsland. I'd say it's a bit more than 2hrs from Melbourne. Warragul is 96km and takes about an hour. Warragul to Traralgon is about 40min and then it's probably another 40min to Sale.

Anyway,

Sale is not a bad part of Gippsland or the state. Definately better than Mildura I'd guess. You're also out of the 'valley' (moe, morwell, traralgon) which can be a bit of a bogan area. You'd be around an hour from Lakes Entrance which has really nice beaches. There are also national parks to explore if you are into that thing and in around 3.5 hours you could be in southern NSW and visit places like Pambula, Tartha and Merimbula all again with really nice beaches. Sale is a good size regional city and as mentioned Traralgon is relatively close. I think 3months in Sale is easily doable, especially if you are able to make the most of the opportunity and visit other parts nearby - they wouldn't be on the traditional backpacker hit list for Victoria.

Cheers,
    Mel.b

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Mellor wrote: »

Victoria is south of NSW, not east. That's why Victorian's get called mexicans (ie, south of the border)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

:rolleyes:
    Parts of NSW are east of parts of Vic, The OP said east of victoria, so I was sticking with the phrase as it wouldn't of made sense to say anything else.

Advertisement