Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to take elderly parents for getaway...

Options
  • 28-04-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Looking to treat my parents who are elderly to a night away somewhere in Kerry/cork region and perhaps where is close to a nice town where we can potter around during the day and which isnt too hectic

Any recommendations??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Have they any particular interests? Theatre, walking etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

E26 wrote: »
    Looking to treat my parents who are elderly to a night away somewhere in Kerry/cork region and perhaps where is close to a nice town where we can potter around during the day and which isnt too hectic

Any recommendations??

Hey,

You should contact a few hotels. They run what is called a 'Golden Years' package special offer rates and would include activities every evening aswell. They could travel together, and the hotel would have groups staying as part of this 'Golden Years' package who they could mix and mingle with also.
    Even if your parents only stayed one night, it should be enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Killarney has plenty of good hotels and little shops as well as tours starting there for the ring of kerry. You could also consider kinsale in cork or maybe venture down to the beara penusila for the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 E26

Thanks for the replies, will definitely look into the Golden year package idea :) Don't want the trip to involve too much walking (as there not able for it) some nice scenery and main thing is a nice hotel with nice food. Would be ideal if the town or village has a few nice home-ware shops to wander round during the day, as my mother lives for that kind of thing..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

Kenmare would be ideal I'd say, there's a good few home-ware/craft type shops, very nice coffee shops and restaurants also.
    The town is not as hectic as Killarney and is smaller for walking around etc, ideal for the elderly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement