Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train Question re bringing stuff on

Options
  • 28-04-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

K so really quick question that i hope someone here can answer. I need to travel from Dublin to portlaoise in few weeks and to say i have a lot of stuff is an understatment.

The Train is the only thing that suits plans so i'm stuck with that. Now my question is if i pack all my gear into a NEW wheelie bin (standard size for houses that i will be buying new) is there a place on the train where i can store it?

any help woul;d be greatly appreciated!!! its not often i get to travel outta Donegal!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

danniemcq wrote: »
    K so really quick question that i hope someone here can answer. I need to travel from Dublin to portlaoise in few weeks and to say i have a lot of stuff is an understatment.

The Train is the only thing that suits plans so i'm stuck with that. Now my question is if i pack all my gear into a NEW wheelie bin (standard size for houses that i will be buying new) is there a place on the train where i can store it?

any help woul;d be greatly appreciated!!! its not often i get to travel outta Donegal!

there is a carriage for bicycles up front and that would have space for wheelie bins. otherwise a wheelie in would not fin in the door.

not on all services. you would have to get out the train. in terms of baggage you can bring as much a s you can carry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hehe..i can just picture trying to get on a train with a wheelie bin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Degsy wrote: »
    Hehe..i can just picture trying to get on a train with a wheelie bin:D

"No, honestly there isn't a body inside!"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

nice one i guess i'll ring them up and find out what times baggage trains run, and yeah you get some funny looks with a sheelie bin but when it contains tents, clothes, 140 cans and few bottles of other random stuff it really does make sense!

Thanks again!

nice one i guess i'll ring them up and find out what times baggage trains run, and yeah you get some funny looks with a sheelie bin but when it contains tents, clothes, 140 cans and few bottles of other random stuff it really does make sense!

Thanks again!

Jaysus keep that under your hat. Or at least a lock on it then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

somehow i dont think they will allow you on the train with a wheelie bin

chin_grin wrote: »
    Jaysus keep that under your hat. Or at least a lock on it then!

oh aye i'll have a chain on it for sure!

and i was thinking if there is space why wouldn't they let it on, i'm sure people need space if they do loads of shopping in Dublin for the day.

See without a train network way up here i'm trying to figure everything out!

and i was thinking if there is space why wouldn't they let it on,

Probably because its a wheelie bin and being full of stuff it would be very difficult to get into a train..or through the barriers at the station.
    i'm sure people need space if they do loads of shopping in Dublin for the day.

Maybe so but you will find that people tend *not* to use wheelie bins to carry thier shopping..either in Dublin or anywhere else.

If i was you i'd "figure everything out" before buying the wheelie bin!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

You could invest in one of those enormous suit cases that everyone going on holidays has now,their seriously huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

oh aye i'll have a chain on it for sure!

and i was thinking if there is space why wouldn't they let it on, i'm sure people need space if they do loads of shopping in Dublin for the day.

are the old closed lines still there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

There'd be a track, or the remains of one, in Barnesmore Gap between Ballybofey and Donegal Town I believe.

Would a wheelie bin fit down the aisle even? The food carriage does but that's designed to. The Wheelie bin might be too big.

Getting past the barriers would be a problem as would lifting it up onto the train. I'm sure one of the lawds in the jackets could help you.

k to tell yous all the truth i'm doing this for Electric Picnic! done it few years ago on a bus and it was the best idea ever, all them wee siny shopping things that old ladies use are ok at start but fail after 100m or so and wheelbarrows are awkward and you have to walk for ages to get one in the first place.

With the bin i can fill it with everything thats needed and easily wheel it not have to worry about it breaking and then can use it for a bin at our campsite!

there is some method in my madness

and yeah there is still bits of track everywhere up here and i think one bit of line that still runs but just for sightseeing and tourists

Where I see this as being a genius idea, the logistics are just too risky.

Would you not invest in a rucksack and just chuck all the gear in to this and then your clothes\other bits in to another? Preferably get a huge backpack and then something big with wheels.

(eg http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3400140.htm)

Could you not get a friend to give you a lift?

wheelie-bin2.jpg

chin_grin wrote: »
    Where I see this as being a genius idea, the logistics are just too risky.

Would you not invest in a rucksack and just chuck all the gear in to this and then your clothes\other bits in to another? Preferably get a huge backpack and then something big with wheels.

(eg http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3400140.htm)

been doing that for 4 out of the 5 years i've gone. its such a hassle as i usually end up carrying my stuff AND my girlfriends stuff so it ends up just being way to much for one and a half people to carry easily

when we had the bin it was simple even the guards that stopped us when we were walking down the street with it at 5 in the morning thought it was a brilliant idea.

if i can find a way to bring its the best option in my humble opinion! just have to give it bigger wheels for the low ground clearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Degsy wrote: »
    Could you not get a friend to give you a lift?

Or you and your mates could hire a bus and driver, no?

cosmic wrote: »
    Or you and your mates could hire a bus and driver, no?

Can't afford that, not enough coming the whole way from Donegal, meeting most heads down at the gig :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Depends on what train it is I suppose, I can see you getting away with it on one of the commuter style trains (the lime green ones), wouldn't really work on any other type of train though I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

OP, I admire your tenacity and committment to having a fair old time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are no rules against wheelie bins. However, you do need to keep within your luggage limit.

You also need to get the wheelie bin to the station and from station to gig and back - will a taxi take a wheelie bin? How do you get a mucky wheelie bin back to the station? No taxi driver is likely to touch it.

Where do you keep the wheelie bin at the gig? In the tent?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    There are no rules against wheelie bins. However, you do need to keep within your luggage limit.

You also need to get the wheelie bin to the station and from station to gig and back - will a taxi take a wheelie bin? How do you get a mucky wheelie bin back to the station? No taxi driver is likely to touch it.

Where do you keep the wheelie bin at the gig? In the tent?

new bin, getting taxi isn't an issue with a 7 seater
    at the gig its used for rubbish, drink kept in usual locations
    coming back, not hundred percent sure yet. if it was oxygen i'd just burn it

new bin, getting taxi isn't an issue with a 7 seater
    at the gig its used for rubbish, drink kept in usual locations
    coming back, not hundred percent sure yet. if it was oxygen i'd just burn it

Okay..enough already:D

This has been funny but dont tear the arse out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Is this thread still here? I thought I was hallucinating when I saw it earlier...
    But sure I'm game if the OP is...
    One question: where does one buy a wheelie bin?

Is this thread still here? I thought I was hallucinating when I saw it earlier...
    But sure I'm game if the OP is...
    One question: where does one buy a wheelie bin?

hardware shops or what i done last time was order one off the bin company and they deliver you a new one :)

the second way is usually cheaper too!

Advertisement