Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pump for sirrus bike

• 28-04-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get a pump for my bike....its a specialized sirrus road bike..i was going to get one of these ordinary pumps
    http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/11552/Pum-ATB-15-W-Adapt/ for 8euro

till the guy at cycleways advised me i wouldn't get enought pressure with this pump..i would need to get an aluminium with with 100psi for 22euro....
    does it really make a difference..its only a pump....you just pump air into the tyres am i right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

He's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Pete's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Dave's right about pete saying the guy is right being right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭thebourke

but surely if you pump a tyre hard enough with an ordinary pump..it does the same thing?

I just saw this on the aldi site there now..
    would this do the trick?
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16711.htm

• Advertisement

To expand on this.
    Frame Pumps
    When I first bought a skinny tyred bike I tried and tried with my old plastic pump to get it up to pressure. No good. I bought 2 slightly better ones since and they were just about adequate.

Since those two I have bought the Zefal HPX. I should have bought it in the first place and saved myself money and heart/arm ache along the way.

Track Pumps
    I bought a plastic one and it broke. I since bought and Alu one and it looks like it will last a few years. Again I should have bought the good one in the first instance.

thebourke wrote: »
    would this do the trick?
    Aldi tools are hit and miss.

but surely if you pump a tyre hard enough with an ordinary pump.
    The problem is you can't. You can try by all means, but you won't be able to.

To expand on this.
    Frame Pumps
    When I first bought a skinny tyred bike I tried and tried with my old plastic pump to get it up to pressure. No good. I bought 2 slightly better ones since and they were just about adequate.

Since those two I have bought the Zefal HPX. I should have bought it in the first place and saved myself money and heart/arm ache along the way.

Track Pumps
    I bought a plastic one and it broke. I since bought and Alu one and it looks like it will last a few years. Again I should have bought the good one in the first instance.

He's right... Again. Don't you hate him a little bit?

• Advertisement

Ok Bourke, here's my 2c.

That pump you linked to on wiggle is a frame pump. You use it when you've punctured to get the spare tube you've carried with you to a state where it can carry you home to your...

Track pump. Preferably with a pressure gauge, so that you're not guessing whether or not the tyres are hard enough. Have you ever squeezed a tyre at 65psi? Did it feel too soft? Probably not, but you know what? It was. Way too soft. And that'll only be annoying when you puncture again, too quickly, because your tyres were underinflated.

On the other hand, you could get the emergency frame pumps, and admire the guns you'll have sculpted after hundreds of unnecessary tyre inflations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I once inflated a tyre to 100psi using a mini pump. I think it took over 300 pumps.

There should be some sort of medal for this.

ok recommend me one please...
    thanks for the info....

If you're ordering from wiggle, get that one you linked to and carry it with you, along with a spare tube, tyre levers and the knowledge of how to change a tube. This last item is not available from Wiggle, but can be found for free from youtube.

Then get this and have it at home. Use weekly, or as necessary.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/blackburn-air-tower-1-track-pump/

And enjoy your cycling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ok recommend me one please...
    thanks for the info....

As others have stated, you need two pumps: a mini one for carrying on the bike and a track pump for keeping at home.

The idea is that you only use the mini one for punctures, and you should very rarely get those if you use the track pump to maintain adequate pressures.

Cycleways probably suggested something like a Specialized Air Tool, which is what I have. I haven't used it yet (I use a track pump at home and CO2 on the road, the mini pump is my last option), but it gets good reviews.

Or you can go retrogrouchy and buy a full sized frame pump. They're about 18 inches long and cope with high pressures better.

He's right... Again. Don't you hate him a little bit?
    I'm only right now because I was wrong so many times before.

Nobody is as wise as the man who lost a finger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

would this do the trick?

This would be grand for puncture repair at the side of the road.
    Forget about the track pumps that are sold in Aldi/Lidl though, as I have one and the pressure gauge is as useless as a chocolate fireguard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I had a Lidl track pump and the bottom exploded into a million pieces the other week. I borrowed a fellow competitors and only then did I realise how crap it really was. So I went and bought a decent one last week for what I thought was a good price, it was only when I got it home did I realise why it was such a good price, there's no bloody pressure gauge on it ! It's sitting in the boot waiting to be brought back.

Advertisement