Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cú Chulainn Cup

Options
  • 28-04-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

This will be going on the BR Irish Clubrooms, cleaner to have sign ups and results there. Any views or opinions welcome oh and Admins required

Cú Chulainn Cup

At the age of seventeen, Cú Chulainn single-handedly defends Ulster from the army of Connacht in the Táin Bó Cúailnge. Medb, queen of Connacht, has mounted the invasion to steal the stud bull Donn Cúailnge, and Cú Chulainn allows her to take Ulster by surprise because he is with a woman when he should be watching the border. The men of Ulster are disabled by a curse, so Cú Chulainn prevents Medb's army from advancing further by invoking the right of single combat at fords. He defeats champion after champion in a stand-off lasting months.

In this fine tradition, the Champion will stand on his own to defend his Crown.

Rules

1) Only Irish Teams can hold the Crown

2) The Holder must defend his/her title once a week, via either League, Friendly - Thursday/Monday , or Cup.

3) If the Holder is unable to defend his/her crown due to other commitments - the title is open and the next on the list to play via a friendly will by default become the Holder.

3)The Challenger must announce their intention to play for the title in the game, via a post in this clubrooms thread or by leaving a guestbook message on the Holders page.

4) There is no intensity restrictions - you want the crown badly, then a TNT against a Holder playing WNWIM could secure almost any team the title.

5) If a challenger cannot be found, then the Holder retains the title.

6) If there is a legitimate reason why the Holder cannot defend his/her crown via a friendly they may suggest to the team/s they are playing in the league/cup to make the game a Cú Chulainn clash! The Holder must however play the 1st placed team at some stage the following week via a friendly (if they don't meet in the league or cup that week) If they can't fulfill this fixture they should let us know so we can transfer the trophy to the next in line.

7) When teams sign up they go on the challenge list, Number 1 on the list has the next shot at the crown via a friendly Monday/Thursday. When they use this they go back to the bottom of the list.

8) If a team further down the list meets the Holder in any game before they are 1st Challenger, they can play for the Crown, however, they move back to bottom of the list.

9) The Holder will have a Trophy in his/her Cabinet, once they lose, the trophy is removed and given to the new Holder

10) Last but not least, places on the table can be played for via a Leap Frog system - if you are rank 22 on the challenge list and someone above you (rank 11) agrees to play a ranking game, should you win, you will take their place at 11 and they move down to 12 - What is the incentive for the higher placed team? at the end of every seaosn a special trophy is presented to the team who won the most games in the Cú Chulainn Cup, also a special bravery medal is presented to the team who has played the most games in the cup (cannot be the same as the team who won the most)

Just to add to the above, you cannot play the same team over and over again to try to achieve these awards - if the awards committee feel that stats are being bumped by teams playing each other multiple times - 50% of those games won't count

Finally there is another trophy available, this is another floating trophy (The Endurance Cup) - It kicks in after a team has defended their crown successfully 5 times, if somebody overtakes your winning total they take this Cup from you

Please remember to post in this thread what games are to be taken into account for this cup before they happen and result after game, this enables us to maintain an up to date listing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Another way of ensuring teams play most weeks is that instead of teams swapping places if the lower team wins, is that if the lower team wins, they simply leap frog the losing team but the losing team only drops 1 place.

E.g. Team A (ranked 11) v Team B (ranked 22)

Team B win. Team B climb to 11. Team A drop to 12.

just a suggestion? means if you don't play you will slide down the table as teams leap frog you as well as the team they beat staying above you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Good point, get teams playing more! I think we should do that, with awarding bravery awards there is something for the supposed weaker teams to play for if they never get a shot.

Satory, replying from the previous thread - cheers, I have applied for 5 admins. At least there is no inputting fixtures so the admin work won't be crazy.

I have also applied for 5 trophies

1. The floating Champ Cup
    2. The most wins
    3. Bravery

and we can use 1 more for the special champ award - say win 10 in a row and you get a replica to keep

Phonehead wrote: »
    Good point, get teams playing more! I think we should do that, with awarding bravery awards there is something for the supposed weaker teams to play for if they never get a shot.

Satory, replying from the previous thread - cheers, I have applied for 5 admins. At least there is no inputting fixtures so the admin work won't be crazy.

I have also applied for 5 trophies

1. The floating Champ Cup
    2. The most wins
    3. Bravery

and we can use 1 more for the special champ award - say win 10 in a row and you get a replica to keep

Oh, just had another idea for a trophy. Instead of getting a trophy for 10 in a row, maybe a second floating trophy for the person who held onto the Cú Culainn the longest? or is 2 floating trophies too much?

Meant to say, if you need another admin, chalk me down.

Interesting, I like it! will make teams have a rivalry on numbers won, it cracks in after holding it 10 times (not required in a row, but between winning and defending it 10 games)

Will add you to the admin list once it's sanctioned

Interesting, I like it! will make teams have a rivalry on numbers won, it cracks in after holding it 10 times (not required in a row, but between winning and defending it 10 games)

Will add you to the admin list once it's sanctioned

Not sure I get you... so after holding it 10 times you count toward a "who has had it most" comp?

I kinda meant something less complicated. If I retain it 5 weeks running say, I get the endurance cup. But when someone successfully retains it 6 times, the endurance cup passes on to them. For me to get the endurance cup back I would need to get the cu culainn back and retain 7 times. Etc...

• Advertisement

Ah, sorry! I thought you meant the most times! Enduarnce Cup sounds good - nice ring to it:D will amend so that it's about the longest retention

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I'll admin now that busy season in work is over I have evenings to potter about!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

what do we have to do to sign up to this? or is just make a challenge?

Sign ups will be in the Irish lounge in the Global clubrooms. When the Cup is launched, the first in becomes the champion:D so the lucky person to be online at the same time will be the first every holder.

None of us admins can be first in, sorry lads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

How do you decide who starts with the cup? knock out comp of last team standing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

How do you decide who starts with the cup? knock out comp of last team standing?

bad timing, answered above

Website is live. Once I get the go ahead from BR, let battle commence

http://communitychallenge.yolasite.com/c%C3%BA-chulainn-cup.php

Website is live. Once I get the go ahead from BR, let battle commence

http://communitychallenge.yolasite.com/c%C3%BA-chulainn-cup.php

Nice trophies!

Ya, I must say I enjoyed creating those. I know I'm not going to join any Monday tournament, I will be concentrating on winning 1 of these trophies

Heads up, sign-up thread has been created in the Irish Clubroom, admins- check your tools on the br toolbar and you will see the competition panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Just signed up there, can I just say, this is a really good Idea!

Advertisement