Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous complaint about the dog - do they have to have proof?

Options
  • 28-04-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Just went to the agency yesterday and asked them when is the contract ending, as we want to move out when expired.

Today we've got a phone call from agency that there has been complaint about out dog, and who actually gave us permission to have a dog.

(We wouldn't have a dog without their permission, so we asked for it months back-in september. the answer was " if it's small and doesn't make noise,then yes". It's a tough one, as dogs always make some noise, but we've been lucky and out shih tzu is quiet for majority ( like 99% ) of a time. Also we are bringing him to toilet to the back yard and clean up no.2 right after he does it. Just so the grass cutters dont complain about grass full of it.)

So my suspicion right away is that they are looking for a reason to keep our deposit. Can we ask for a reason of complaint and a proof?

Has anyone any advice? Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

What exactly was the complaint for? If it was for noise then they can't keep the deposit for that. The deposit can only be used to cover things like repairs beyond normal wear, bills, missing rent etc etc If the dog was making noise and someone complained the most that could do is give the LL a reason to break the lease but they would still have to return your deposit. If the local authority had issued a fine for the noise then they could in theory take that from the deposit but really the fine should be passed on to you to pay and frankly you'd have heard about it from someone well before it go to the stage of fines being handed out.

If the dog has made a mess of the inside or garden of the house then yes they can keep some of the deposit for that as it would be considered above normal wear and tear but they can't do that until you've moved out and they've checked the place so you've time to fix any damage created by the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

That is not grounds for keeping your deposit. It may be grounds for renegotiating or seeking to end the lease - depends on the agreement you struck in September - but whatever way you cut it it is absolutely not grounds for not returning the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭maroon

I spoke to them twice today already, in the morning and just now, and still cannot get an answer.I have to wait until the assistant will speak with the boos.

The back garden is covered with abundant grass, in theory they should cut it, but it hasn't happened since the spring began. My puppy doesn't like to dig or anything like that, just jump out, pee here and there, sniff around and back home. very peaceful dog, really.

There had been damages done by snow to the fence, and we brought it to their attention in january and then again in february, but the fence is still down.
    I dont mind these things, just want to keep my back covered and not give my money away for no reason. We normally like to leave our homes spotless when moving out, it's just decent...so i suppose we have nothing to worry about...i hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As mentioned above, a deposit is retained to cover unpaid bills and/or rent, and to cover any damage beyond normal wear and tear.

There may be an issue if there are marks on doors, walls, wooden floors or carpets and furniture which they could claim is caused by the dog and therefore beyond 'normal' wear and tear.

Was the permission to keep the dog put in writing or is it just an oral agreement?

Just an oral agreement with an assistant of the agent. Same assistant has no memory of it today :( I know it sounds too good to be truth, but also indoor there's no damages, but will definitely double check.

Do you think there might be a problem if the permission was only verbal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

It would have been better if you had it in writing, suddenly now the same assistant as selective amnesia. Did you communicate all other issues with the property verbally or in writing?

Verbally, every time, as it didn't seem serious. It's a part of the contract on their side to fix faults when informed of them. My next door neighbor has same issue with the fence needing fixing, he also rang them - no result.
    I am trying not to panic,as every time I informed them of anything, my partner was there with me, so at least I have some kind of witness. (right?)

Advertisement