Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Graduate prospects in London

Options
  • 28-04-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am a graduate with a BSc (Hons) in Applied Computing 2:1 and I am wondering what the opportunities would be like for this in London?

I graduated in 2009 and done a one year internship program to take up to 2010 and have been searching for that first permanent role. I have had a few interviews but without any luck.

Would London be a better place to start out? I am not concerned with making great money yet just enough to get that all important experience for a few years first.

What is the best way to go about getting such a role in London? Such as any good agencies?
    Should I make any change to my CV? Since it currently has an Irish address on it.

I am definitely going to move if I get a role. The only concern I would have is been out a fortune if I was over and back for 3 or 4 interviews and didn't get a role. Any advice on this?

Any help on any thing I have asked or any feedback would be fantastic.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Why go as far as London? Demand for IT graduates in Ireland is really starting to pick up. My company were looking for a junior software tester (no experience required) and got only two applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

What the poster above said. I'm a software developer in Dublin and there is huge demand here. Won't find any place where it's easier to get a developer job then Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

geuro wrote: »
    What the poster above said. I'm a software developer in Dublin and there is huge demand here. Won't find any place where it's easier to get a developer job then Dublin

What if you're not a grad but an experienced person trying to switch jobs? I'm currently in the software end of IT and thinking about making the move into dev, but I don't have much dev experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

G-Money wrote: »
    What if you're not a grad but an experienced person trying to switch jobs? I'm currently in the software end of IT and thinking about making the move into dev, but I don't have much dev experience.

There are plenty of software developer jobs in Dublin, but they all look for some experience.

The great thing about software development though is that you can give yourself this experience by working on open source projects, or personal projects.

Without commercial experience though, you can't expect big money...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Why go as far as London? Demand for IT graduates in Ireland is really starting to pick up. My company were looking for a junior software tester (no experience required) and got only two applications.

Really only two applicants. It would have been something I would have applied for.

Well I don't know anyone in Dublin really and thinking London for a change as well. I know there are opportunities in Ireland but I have found it difficult I must say.

I will consider any opportunity I can get in Ireland but I am interested to see how London is in comparison for opportunities.

Any other feedback would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 frezzabelle

As said, there are plenty going in the Dublin area. They all look for some experience or high achievers in my opinion. Suppose it depends on what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

As said, there are plenty going in the Dublin area. They all look for some experience or high achievers in my opinion. Suppose it depends on what your looking for.

Yes they are looking for the best so not always so easy to get these roles, although I will keep applying.

Has anyone got any answers to my original post as that is what I was wanting to find out? It is just an option I am considering and what to gather as much facts on it as I can.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Lots of IT work around. Money is better in London but living expenses are quite high. As an Irish contractor you can work over there and claim e109 overnight unvouched expenses tho, subject to 6 month tax residency and so on.

Advertisement