Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit scone recipe

Options
  • 28-04-2011 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a nice recipe for fruit scones? Preferably not wee tiny ones either :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Really? No-one has a good recipe???

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Try allrecipies.co.uk I found them to be fantastic. The recipie I use is--- 200g flour, 50g marge, 20g sugar, 100ml milk, 1 egg and a pinch of salt plus maybe some raisins,cranberries, blueberries, whatever you're having yourself. Sieve flour and salt into a bowl, rub in marge, add sugar and fruit, beat egg and milk together then add to mix. Turn onto a floured surface, knead lightly, roll out to required thickness, cut, place on buttered tray, bake for 15 minutes in 200 celsius. Obviously you can play around with the recipie, double or triple it, this recipie here only makes about 6 scones, I like them fat too! Hope that does ye! Enjoy.

Cheers, must check that one out sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Always ready to help a fellow runner....

Hope the training is still going well

Try Darina Allens recipe

300g flour
    pinch of salt
    1 heaped tsp baking powder
    60g butter
    20g sugar
    150ml milk
    50g sultanas ( or whatever you like)

Sieve flour, salt and baking powder. Rub in butter. Add sultanas and sugar
    Whisk the egg into the milk.
    Add the egg/milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix to a soft dough.

It should be very soft but not sticky. Adjust with a bit more milk if too dry, or more flour is too sticky.
    Knead just enough to shape into a round and roll out to 2.5cm thick.
    Cut out scones. THis amount will make about 6 huge scones, or 12 smaller ones.

Brush with egg wash or milk. Be careful not to allow the milk to drip down the sides, this stops them rising

Bake for 10-15 minutes at 200 until golden brown on top. The amount of time depends on how big/thick they are and how hot your oven is, so check them regularly after 10 minutes.

Blast, I'm hungry now.

Uncooked scones freeze very well and can be baked straight from the freezer. They take a few minutes more in the oven. Its a great idea. They are much nicer fresh than one day old and making twice as much takes no extra effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wina

Nice recipe, I will try it on my vacant time.I wish I could make a good one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

Oh for big scones it has to be the avoca ones....

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6779/avoca-scones.aspx

Be warned they are yummie and not so good for you!

Actually I need to get my cholesterol down so I need to change my diet so normal fruit scones are out.

Although I think I might be allowed wholemeal scones. Any idea how to make a healthy low cholesterol tasty version??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

eat porridge with fruit and dizzle of honey everyday ,
    that will lower your cholesterol ,
    so then you will be able to enjoy a fresh fruit scone every now and then ;-)

I hate porridge how it's normally made. So I just eat the porridge oats raw mixed with a lot fat yoghurt. Not a big fan of honey but might be willing to give it a go again. Not sure how to encorporate it with porridge oats and yoghurt though!

Advertisement