Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette Razor Blades

Options
  • 28-04-2011 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Im pretty confident this has been covered before but im so angry i'm gonna continue . What is the story with these blades ?? Is there any reason they are such a price or are Gillette just robbing backstards?

I was pretty sure they were only roughly €8.50 but when i went to buy a 4 pk today they were just under €14. I think this is nuts .

Another thing i have noticed is the old sensor excels they used to be a 5 pack.The current fusions are a 4 pack and there new pro glide are only a 3 pack. Very soon these money hungry dogs will have us buying the whole razor each time we want to shave. I'm getting pretty sick of it.

Does anyone know if any of the cheaper ones are any good ? I have tried wilkinson sword and I think they are brutal Are King of shaves any good ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Look at the Facial Hair forum in Rec. The best way to shave and the cheapest in the long run is to use a double edge razor and forget the Gillette products which are heavily promoted and they charge a fortune for.

Get a starter kit, read the threads and give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Yeah start a thread on there, I feel your frustration and would be interested in finding a more sensible alternative too.

It's no wonder Gillette have the cash to spam the media with their adverts every five minutes when they're charging completely extortionate prices and have such a monopoly on a market that's always going to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

And they can afford a merchandiser to swan in and make sure the shelf in the supermarket is full and all the blades are arranged at the correct angle. On bargain alerts, someone mentioned Amazon, ordering 4 packs and getting free delivery.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056244126

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gillette-Fusion-Power-Blades-Pack/dp/B000GE3JO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303216152&sr=8-1

works out at €32.50 for 4 packs at AIB rates for sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

these blades cost so much because they have to pay the likes of Tiger Woods for keeping it in his pants for the time needed to record the commercial, that's a lot of money you know:rolleyes:

Seriously, as someone else already said, switch to DE shaving. See more in the Facial Hair and Hats forum and also check out shaving.ie for great products and service (I am in no way affiliated with the site, I just use it a lot and think it's great).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

The cost of those blades is crazy. I gave up buying them years ago and just use the Bic disposable ones. And to be honest once your used to em after 1-2 shaves. There is absolutely no discernible difference. Not for me anyways. Then again I dont shave alot (twice a week) and never got enough use out of the Gilette ones to justify buying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get a razorpit which cleans the blades and extends the life a lot, a few on here recommended them.

€25 here http://www.4men.ie/index.php?sid=06ad7b587fc983e4acd689219d45dc1b&cl=details&anid=b7349bff8e07a62a5.79871634

I got one from them and got it 1-2days after ordering, delivery is included in the 24hr

However I use an electric myself, and more recently have changed to a professional Wahl "balding" razor which is intended to give you a proper skin head. But I also use it on my face and it takes seconds and leaves you with what looks like a days growth or less, which might be fine for most. Best is if you have not shaved for days it just cuts through it no bother. It is brilliant on the head too, nicer than any one barbers have even used on me -though I have not been to a barber in nearly 20 years!

I got mine new on ebay
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=wahl%20balding&_ds=1&_fcid=99&_localstpos=&_sc=1&_sop=15&_stpos=&gbr=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Ah the old razor and blade strategy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebie_marketing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Is there any need to be shaving with their latest gimmick. I use a wilkinson sword razor, blades are about €5.50 for a pack of 4 and its as good as I or anyone needs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

Its natural, women love it and it only costs a pair of reasonable scissors or a clipper!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bought a battery shaver from Argos 5 years ago 9euroish.
    Charger and 8 batterys from Lidl 6euro.
    Never spent a penny on shaving since except to recharge the batterys which I use for shaver/camera/remotes/little torch/walkman thingy etc.

I can never figure out why people buy razors tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Bought a battery shaver from Argos 5 years ago 9euroish.
    Charger and 8 batterys from Lidl 6euro.
    Never spent a penny on shaving since except to recharge the batterys which I use for shaver/camera/remotes/little torch/walkman thingy etc.

I can never figure out why people buy razors tbh.

Ah you don't feel like you get a proper shave using them. Tried it for a while but never got to like it. I think a lot of guys prefer to shave in the shower as it kills two birds with one stone two and electricity's not really ideal for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    And they can afford a merchandiser to swan in and make sure the shelf in the supermarket is full and all the blades are arranged at the correct angle.

All big brands (and some small ones too) have merchandisers, supermarkets take that for granted. I had to go to Kilkenny to help stack shelves for the opening of the new Dunnes there a few years back. The place was full of merchandisers, and far less Dunnes staff stocking the place. The managers there won't hesitate to treat you like you work for them either. They're getting free labour and they still have to be a prick about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Ah you don't feel like you get a proper shave using them. Tried it for a while but never got to like it. I think a lot of guys prefer to shave in the shower as it kills two birds with one stone two and electricity's not really ideal for that.

Maybe. Ive always had a hairy face so its perfect for keeping it tidy as opposed to a total clean shave.
    Only used a razor once about 30yrs ago under my fathers supervision and I decided never again lol.
    Having said that it looks like Ive saved a bloody fortune. I never even thought they cost anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

From Wiki:
    The Gillette Mach3 is a line of safety razors produced by Gillette and introduced in 1998 after more than $750 million in research and development costs.[1] The three blade design is marketed by Gillette as allowing for a shave with less pressure to the skin and with fewer strokes, thereby reducing skin irritation. While many customers do experience greater comfort with the three-bladed models, some individuals, depending upon skin and beard type, have experienced increased irritation or razor burn as the number of blades has increased.[original research?]

The Mach3 is more expensive than many other razors.[citation needed] The recent release of the Gillette Fusion with 5 blades is more expensive still[according to whom?], continuing the Razor and blades business model, or a "loss leader" model, pioneered by Gillette in the early 20th century. Since the increased price of the newer cartridges creates slower consumer adoption of each new model, Gillette has heavily discounted the newer models through newspaper and in-store coupons and in many cases mailed free copies to individuals on purchased mailing lists.[citation needed] While this practice has accelerated adoption of both, Gillette still has a strong customer base using their two-bladed razors as evidenced by their wide availability and high sales volume.[citation needed] The blades used by Mach3 only cost a few cents to produce, but can sell for over $2 each. This shows that profit margins on Gillette razor blades are typically over 4500%.[2]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I'm pretty sure a lot of people know about Razor Pit but in case you don't i can totally recommend it, best money i ever spent, in the last 6 months ive bought one pack of 4 Gillette blades and i am only on the 3rd one,will save you a fortune on razor blades.

100% works and is highly recommended.

http://www.razorpit.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Mick990 wrote: »
    Im pretty confident this has been covered before but im so angry i'm gonna continue . What is the story with these blades ?? Is there any reason they are such a price or are Gillette just robbing backstards?

I was pretty sure they were only roughly €8.50 but when i went to buy a 4 pk today they were just under €14. I think this is nuts .

Another thing i have noticed is the old sensor excels they used to be a 5 pack.The current fusions are a 4 pack and there new pro glide are only a 3 pack. Very soon these money hungry dogs will have us buying the whole razor each time we want to shave. I'm getting pretty sick of it.

Does anyone know if any of the cheaper ones are any good ? I have tried wilkinson sword and I think they are brutal Are King of shaves any good ??

It had to be the f**king irish government... i can buy a 5 pack of the mackturbo ones here for 350baht thats €4.00:D and believe it thay seem to last much longer than the irish ones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

TomBeckett wrote: »
    It had to be the f**king irish government... i can buy a 5 pack of the mackturbo ones here for 350baht thats €4.00:D and believe it thay seem to last much longer than the irish ones..

Yeah - lets blame a huge multinational's global retail pricing stategy on Irish Government :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Umm, 350 baht comes in at €8+. TBH razor blades were the one thing that did not seem cheap in Thailand, at least not he branded ones.

Cheers,
    sombaht

PS. DE is the only way to go. Get a starter kit and you'll never go back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It had to be the f**king irish government..

err except its basically nothing to do with any government its all down to the company and the profits they want to make, oh and the price people will pay for the product.

Since most people don't know any better and they continue to fall for the marketing gimmicks they continue to feel the need to guy a super <enter number of blades here> razor which is fusion, nuclear powered
    :rolleyes:

In reality a 2c double edge blade will work perfectly fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can only comment on what I see, but sales of Gillette blades seem to be dropping a bit. They always drop at the start of the year maybe due to all the gift sets they guys get!

But this year they don't seem to have climbed back up..... are people buying them some where else?

The 3 pack is a joke, same price, only 3 in the pack..... I can see a lot of people only realizing when the 2nd blade is gone that they only have 1 left and flipping out.

The Razors are still selling at the same rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

thank the lord for this thread i was going too start up my own...unfortunitly i was a victim of paying 21.99 for a 9 pack for some promotion for buying 8+1 free in tesco as a 4 pack was 14.99 which is off the rockets.fair is fair gilette want to make money but is the money going to gilette??especially if other countries are selling them at crazy low prices...i know how products are priced so bringing in factors such as minimum wages, VAT rates etc is not an issue as these are clearly small items and can and probly are bought in crazy volumes

Advertisement