Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does it cost to keep a horse?

• 28-04-2011 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a horse. I'm wondering if any of you might have an idea of how expensive it would cost to keep a horse per year. If you have a stable and ride it every day would that be enough or will I need a big field as well?

As I'm thinking of getting the horse from an animal sanctuary, I'm also wondering how much it might cost in vet fees per annum. Do you have to use a saddle on a horse? How much would all the gear cost; where would be a good value place to buy it?

Go raibh maith agaibh/Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

In short, you could answer your question with 'how long is a piece of string?'. :D

Having a suitable stable and all the 'gear' for just keeping a horse without riding is expensive - headcollars and leadropes, grooming brushes, hoof pick, rugs, feed and water buckets, equipment for mucking out (shovel, fork, yard brush), etc.

Tack is expensive, but you can get some good second hand equipment for value, but you need to be prepared to fork out a lot on tack (300+ for a saddle), and that's before you look at purchasing a helmet, back protector and riding/jodhpur boots for yourself.

Then you'll have feed (hay and hard feed) on top of that. Depending on costs of raw materials, you can get small hay bales for about 3 euro per bale. A 25kg bag of feed can cost upwards of 8 euro, which, depending on how much you feed (which will be based upon the size of the horse, how much work the horse is getting, weather conditions, etc.), can last a week to ten days.

Then wormers (about 15 euro every 2 months), vaccinations (advisable if you want to compete and/or travel the horse frequently, or if you'll be riding with other people), farrier (even just to trim the horse's feet (approx. 20 to 30 euro per visit, depending on where you are. A full set of shoes can cost 50 to 70 euro).

Vet bills will vary - a healthy horse will only probably need vaccs once a year - about 50 euro (again, depending on your location), but you'll also need to factor in all the small things, such as a horse going lame, getting cuts, a bad cold, etc., etc., etc.

Whether or not you need a paddock or field for the horse will depend upon the individual rescue's rehoming policy. It would be a good idea to have somewhere where you could let the horse out for grazing, even if you're just renting the grazing from a local farmer or yard.

However, I do know somebody who doesn't have an area in which to turn out their horse, having built an arena in the paddock, so they only have a tiny paddock where they can let the horse graze on the lead.

If you're looking at livery costs, be prepared to pay upwards of 400 euro a month (again, depending on where you're based).

Taking on a horse is something that shouldn't be entered into lightly, and it would be really advisable to sit down and work out the costs involved and what you can afford before agreeing to take on the horse from the rescue. Part of that process would be chatting to the rescue and seeing what they suggest.

You could also have a look at the equestrian forum as there's quite a few threads regarding the cost of keeping horses there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Lot of questions Aoife! you may get abetter answer on the equestrian forum although I do think there are some people on here who have horses.

You do kinda need a field I think. Personally I think it is unfair to stable a horse 24 7 but if you dont have one maybe you know someone locally who would let you graze their land?

vet fees really depend on the area also.....where are you based?

From experience I will warn you about horses from rescue.....make sure your own vet checks them thoroughly! I offered a permanent home to a rescue horse of a very well know large rescue but my vet highlighted an issue with the horse that needed immediate treatment....suffice to say I spoke with their vet a month later and he had only just been made aware of the problem- this is despite me emailing and speaking with the staff there loads of times about it!
    not only that but they then told me a week later said animal was fine and ready to be rehomed. I went to check before I organised the horse box to collect him and the illness had not been sorted and the horse was not in any shape for rehoming.

All I am saying is be careful and do get you own vet to check.

Gear can be expensive for horses but I have seen second hand horse tack sales being held at different premises around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aoife loves horses

thank you i really needed that.i am realy grateful.

i have just one more question how many acres do u need to keep the horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

BHS recommend 1 to 1.5 per horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I suggest you consider helping out at a stables or rescue for a year and also get some riding lessons, it will help you in the long run. A horse usually needs 3 acres, but it's sad to keep just one horse on it's own, maybe you can join forces with someone who has more experience and can give you advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What experience do you have with horses OP? I honestly don't know of any rescue that will let a horse go to an unexperienced person, a home with no access to grazing or to somewhere there are no other horses, the most basic need for a horse is other equine company. As for costs I would advise you to price everything you think you will need locally and add a bit more :rolleyes:. Rough idea of things you need to take into account off the top of my head -

Vets fees/vaccinations
    Yearly license fee if you live in a controlled area
    Insurance
    dentist at least once a year
    Wormer
    farriery every 6 weeks
    feed/forage and grazing
    supplements (you will need them for something at some stage, guaranteed)
    bedding
    rugs
    head collars/ropes/buckets/wheelbarrow/tools/grooming equipment and other miscellaneous stuff
    transport
    Maintaining and replacing fencing

Then if you are riding the horse -
    schooling, lessons, tack, safety gear

This is assuming you'll be able to keep a horse on your own property, if it's not feasible you will also have the costs of leasing land or livery.

Some of these costs will vary a huge amount depending on the horse (eg. my little gelding goes through 3 times more bedding than the two mares put together , also he has the farrier out every 4 weeks because his feet grow so fast and he's prone to laminitis.

The bits in red are by far my biggest expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

another thing is horses are sociable animals and only having one may not be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1 horsemaster123

how much would a horse cost cause I am thinking of buying one :confused:
    but I am wondering how much it would cost
    go raibh maith agut thanks :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

2 year old thread so while the info might still be relevant, some of the previous posters may not be able to respond to any queries.

Please start a new thread if you have further questions. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement