Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Ring on the radio.

Options
  • 28-04-2011 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The basics as follows.

May - some wet in first and last weeks, middle period dry and sunny. Best in north and west, wettest NE. temps high teens

June - very wet (2nd wettest month of year apart from third week)

July - warmest month, mainly dry until 19th

August - Sunny (?)

Sept - first half nice if a little cool.

Bookmark this! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Not at all,May-September average temp: 23 Degrees/Feck all Rain and some nice Tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

May 26 WET..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I listerned and typed what i thought were the main points ignoring his talking on the earthquakes as its not weather related

http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/Matt-Cooper-Blog.aspx

Well i think may is going to be the month of the year that brings the most sunshine followed by august. So am, this summer there's going to be 3 good forthnights

May is only going to be wet for the 1st and last weeks. The best weather is going to be the 7th to the 23rd and the summer is going to start in a weeks time. The dryest is going to be the north west and the wettest the north east.

Showers in middle of May and end. Clears last day

9th and 10 of June very nice

Max 17-18 degrees in may. Doesn't think any20's going to have to wait until july

Not a scorcher of a summer.

He's got a load of plates/crockery in his cuboard and they rub togther but don't cause quakes therefore the tetonic plates don't cause earthquakes???
    I can't have heard that correctly!!?

June is wet. 2nd wettest month of the year. Some people will get twice the average rain.

3rd week is nice in June

July nice until 19th.

August is going to be very changeable except from the 26th onward and all of september is going to be very nice if not a tad bit cooler

26th may, wedding day for today fm staff member there is going to be a lot of rain. Forecast went along the lines of lots of rain, well a bit of rain both sides, lots of rain around that period, although there will be sunshine.

Fair play to the man. Thats a serious forecast (if not a few seemingly mad comments thrown in) with some specifics so lets see how this plays out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sounds like a typical Irish Summer to me.

Think this year will be warmer than the last 4 myself but thats just the hunch Ive had for 2 years now:eek:

Its our turn to have a good Summer surely?

Also I think May will be a stinker followed by good June and July

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

Do people take this guy seriously? he came across as being a bit of a self-publicist and I really list interest when he started claiming to be able to predict earthquakes. I really didn't buy his scientific explanation either. I'd take him with a grain of salt. I don't think you can predict what particular weeks will be free from rain several months in advance either. Skeptical really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Oh no! Not another Ken Ring thread......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

ohhh yahhh

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I love how he was going on about getting the first good sun of the year during a fortnight in May, with temps in the high teens but not the twenties.

Clearly he hasn't been in Ireland for the effectively constant sunshine we've had this April :D

The guy's a quack. Mixing actual scientific terms like "solar maximum" (used incorrectly) with quackery nonsense like "The moon has a greater gravitational effect when it's full".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think he likes to takes an orthodox view of geoglogical phenomenon just for the sake of being against established scientific opinion. I mean there is really no debate/dispute in the scientific community as to the cause of Earthquakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

anyone know did he predict this powerful month of April thats nearly at an end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

aidanki wrote: »

I can't find the hard copy now, and on the Farmers Journal site you now have to pay to access old articles, but I'm 100% certain that he went for a cold and wet April.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong about the IFJ, http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming.php?newsid=12662

This is what Ken predicted for april. Forecast made on the 5th March
    April

A wetter than normal April is expected. Some precipitation is expected almost daily, easing in places around the 5th to 6th and 21st to 25th.

The second and third weeks could see widespread rain, heavy around the 9th for Ulster and mid-month for Leinster and Munster.

Rainfall levels may be lighter in Connacht but heaviest there around the 15th.

Cold temperatures around the 2nd to the 8th and the 12th to the 15th may turn precipitation to snowfall.

Rain from the 26th is likely to be heaviest in the north and west but more isolated in the south and east.

April temperatures are close to average overall, with only pockets of warmer and colder patches.

Daily temperatures may be in the mid to upper teens in Connacht from the 24th onwards but only in the lower teens for all other parts. A warm spell around the 24th to the 26th may see daily temperatures in the early 20s.

Frosts are still expected this month, with sub-zero temperatures likely on at least 12 days, particularly over the first half of the month and in the last 10 days in the north and south of the country.

Sunshine hours may double in April compared with March, although it may still be cloudier than average. Three good sunny spells can be expected:

The first week in north-east Ulster, east Leinster and in the west and south of the country.

The second may arrive from the 10th to the 12th, even though showers are also expected.

The third from the 21st to the 22nd.

It will be mostly cloudy to overcast during the last week, with brief sunshine around the 28th, except in Munster, and with regular sunshine for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

This forecast says it all :D I am sticking with MT Cranium and his forecasts which are streets ahead of those published by Ken Ring ;)

MT was right on the money last November/December as the severe arctic weather hit Ireland. Listening to Ken in his interview he stated that it was not just Ireland the experienced the cold weather, New Zealand did too. Fair enough Ken however I don't think any NZ cities such as Auckland or Wellington experienced cold like Dublin ( -15oC low at night, sub zero temps, 2 foot of snow in Nov/Dec). Get real :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Well November/December is Summer in New Zealand :D

New Zealand's official lowest temperature of -21.6 °C was recorded at Ophir on 3 July 1995, even though it is not located at a high elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

has Mr T given us a prediction for the summer yet? or do you only work on a 10 day range max

apologies if you have and I have missed it

is the donegal postman is taking a year off did I read somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Well November/December is Summer in New Zealand :D

New Zealand's official lowest temperature of -21.6 °C was recorded at Ophir on 3 July 1995, even though it is not located at a high elevation.

Fair point Jerry, I forgot about the reversal of seasons in the southern hemisphere! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Ken should have a go at our monthly forecasting competition, it would be a bit of extra fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Did he mention this during his little radio talk?

dsmythy wrote: »
    Did he mention this during his little radio talk?

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming.php?newsid=12662

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

The April weather summary is out today and it just goes to show you that he couldn't be more wrong. The man is a chancer, a snake-oil salesman, and trades on publicising the few occasions when, by chance, his prediction resembles what actually occurs.

The moon has NO effect on weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

octo wrote: »
    The moon has NO effect on weather.

You were fine till that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

aidanki wrote: »

in the farmers in journal in late febuary , he predicted that march would be dry but that april would be very wet , he was half right

mike65 wrote: »
    The basics as follows.

May - some wet in first and last weeks, middle period dry and sunny. Best in north and west, wettest NE. temps high teens

June - very wet (2nd wettest month of year apart from third week)

July - warmest month, mainly dry until 19th

August - Sunny (?)

Sept - first half nice if a little cool.

Bookmark this! :cool:

Guess Sunday/Monday will be nice for storm chasers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

About a month from now, I should be able to post some graphs showing the rather faint effects of the Moon on temperatures at two sites, one being Toronto Canada (now at year 172), the other being the 240-year daily record of the CET (Central England Temperature series).

I have crunched the numbers to study both the 27.32 day declination cycle and the 29.53 day cycle of full and new moons.

The declination cycle is more significant and seems to average 0.5 C or about one Fahr degree in a double-peak signature that shows warming as the Moon approaches its northern and its southern declination maxima. Part of this may be contamination from the longer cycle which overlaps in winter and summer and due to the larger temperature variability of winter in the data.

I consider these signals to be rather faint taken as isolated signals, and not really strong enough to provide a foundation for long range forecasting. They do however show a physical process at work over such a long period.

In general, this tends to reinforce the idea that natural variability must involve energy sources other than the Moon, but other studies underway show that resonance values between Moon and other gravitational sources in the solar system also have faint signals, so if you combine all the signals you end up in the 20% range of total variability. The other 80% of variability, to whatever extent it can be attributed to external (gravitational or magnetic) sources, is postulated to be in part due to planetary field segments in the solar system magnetic field. Here again, the data analysis suggests each candidate has a fairly weak signal in the 0.5 to 1.0 deg range, but with about twenty signals interacting, you can begin to create a composite signal that has about the same range as actual temperature series.

My conclusion from the research at this point is that natural variability seems to be the result of many small signals interacting and combining. There is no one signal that stands out as being a major "breakthrough" sort of feature, but as you could visualize even with a simple sketch on paper (remember paper?) if you have 20 predictable cycles of various lengths between 15 and 800 days then you could simulate the actual temperature series for a given location, if the cycles were accurately diagnosed and if you had found all or almost all of them. But I am not at the stage of verifying that yet, it has taken me a long time to isolate the signals for the one data set and I have only recently been able to get the second data set into the form required to produce the same profiles for comparison.

It stands to reason that non-external factors such as ocean temperature cycles and volcanic dust would have their role (some of the ocean temperature cycles might prove to be predictable from the external cycles, the volcanic dust is more of a wild card element). Greenhouse gas warming would then be easier to study because any unexplained variability especially an upward trend would most likely fall to that element.

I think you'll find the lunar declination cycles interesting, there's definitely a regular pulse there, the problem is the magnitude of it rather than the regularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

three weeks ago in the farmers journal , ring predicted that september would be very dry

this guy is a complete and utter spoofer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's been keeping a low profile, Newstalk have him between now and 1.30. Naturally he'll be guessing the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

on now!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

He already gave his predictions for our Summer at the end of April.

Here's a summary of what he gave, it's slightly contradicting but that's what he said.

Good weather - last few days of May, 2nd week of June and last 10 days of June ( take your holidays at end of June - he said )

Cool Summer months
    Below normal sunshine
    Wet start and end to year
    Slow start to a mild Summer

Cool mild summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Cool mild summer!

LOL So which is it? Cool or Mild? Don't rate the guys predictions but he appears to get plenty of radio time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement