Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else finding it hard to study?

• 28-04-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

I find it hard to study I end up getting distracted.
    I've done a few weekends , but after school I'm always so tired to do anything or I only get a small bit done.
    I need at least 400 points and I'm doing 3 highers and 3 ordinary. That means getting As and B's .
    I am getting into the studying now as I realise there's only about 5/6 weeks left and 3 weeks of school.

Is anyone else finding it hard to study?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

how did you do in the mocks..... and ye it is pretty difficult...but im sure you dont want to go to college in 2012...so you gots to study now:D..... and my mate last year did 3 hons and 3 pass ..and got 420...and in my opinion he isnt the sharpest tool in the box:p....if he can do it anyone can :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

dont worry I'm in identical situation. 3higher lvl subjects and 3 ordinary. The minimum I want/need to get is 435 and i also cannot concentrate on study, and if i start it comes in through one ear and out through the another. Panicking is not good but stress is excellent motivator. unfortunately there is no stress yet. So i'm patiently waiting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

One bit of advice: don't listen to other people who say they're not doing much study either. A lot of people hear that and feel comforted by it. Remember, they could be lying and doing loads. They could be doing nothing and will do badly - don't follow them down there!

Everyone studies differently. Try to visualise that college offer in your hand, and going off to college a happy bunny. Pick something that you aspire and focus on it for motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Havent opened a book as of yet. Got 340 in the mocks by doing the same so I'm going fairly well for being a bum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

boogle wrote: »
    One bit of advice: don't listen to other people who say they're not doing much study either. A lot of people hear that and feel comforted by it. Remember, they could be lying and doing loads. They could be doing nothing and will do badly - don't follow them down there!

Everyone studies differently. Try to visualise that college offer in your hand, and going off to college a happy bunny. Pick something that you aspire and focus on it for motivation.

This is true but also you have to ignore what a lot of people on here say about their study schedules . A 9 - 5 day of study is hard work and needs dedication . You just have to find a compromise . For motivation try imagining your agony in August if you don`t get the points for the course you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

brownlad wrote: »
    how did you do in the mocks..... and ye it is pretty difficult...but im sure you dont want to go to college in 2012...so you gots to study now:D..... and my mate last year did 3 hons and 3 pass ..and got 420...and in my opinion he isnt the sharpest tool in the box:p....if he can do it anyone can :);)

I failed 3 two were my highers geography and engineering and one ordinary maths the rest I passed business H , and french O and English O.. I know the problem was just cramming study. I still need to improve them all greatly. I know I can do better in geography and engineering but need to do more questions and maths I find the hardest and I need at least a B. My mock results were mainly C's and D's.

boogle wrote: »

I get what you mean , and everyone will be somewhere different and has different hopes . I think it's more to do with me being tired after school . Then finding it hard to start because of it.

I'm thinking I might put away my laptop for the next few weeks while I study. And answer questions and if I get stuck wait until I've finished studying before going back onto the laptop as I get distracted easily. I have tried getting up early that usually works I think I should get up earlier then 9 and do school hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Feckra

Sometimes I find it hard to breathe...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I get what you mean , and everyone will be somewhere different and has different hopes . I think it's more to do with me being tired after school . Then finding it hard to start because of it.

Know the feeling! May sound silly but look after yourself during all of this. You can't mow the lawn if your lawnmower is banjaxed - you can't work effectively or for long periods if you're not getting enough sleep, eating well and getting out and about for a bit of exercise.

Try going for a half hour power nap straight after you get home from school, if might give you a second wind for the evening. It's not for everybody - personally I hate napping during the day but my husband swears by it so it might be worth a try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

YES!!!! easter was supposed to be my salvation but everytime i try to study i just feel fatigued and cant focus/concentrate. Even tried going into the library a few times but still had the same problem..basically got nothing done over the 2 weeks:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

do all the past papers rather than trying to learn stuff off

when you have to write boyles law or whatever for the 10th time round you'll realise it's engraved in your skull

just doing the past papers really will help with learning stuff off without you having to sit starting at a definition or something for an hour with your mind drifting off constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Gav77 wrote: »
    YES!!!! easter was supposed to be my salvation but everytime i try to study i just feel fatigued and cant focus/concentrate. Even tried going into the library a few times but still had the same problem..basically got nothing done over the 2 weeks:(

Same. :( I had aimed to do 6 hours every day, but that plan has failed SPECTACULARLY. I must be one of the most unfocused people ever when it comes to studying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but I reckon my head will explode from all the pressure!:pac:

I'm trying to do more exam papers, and that seems to be helping a good bit, not least with relaxing as I feel I'm actually doing something worthwhile when I'm working on them.

I want this whole thing to just be over, but if I could go back to the start of March and give myself a kick up the rear study-wise, I would.

If there are any 5th years reading this, JUST DO THE WORK. Then you won't end up like all of us headless 6th year chickens.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I find reading the comments from ye 6th years so motivating, it has really helped me this year. And with that, off to bed with me, trying to get back into my regular schedule! Best of luck to ye all.

Advertisement