Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB - Switching Back Has Been a Total Nightmare

Options
  • 28-04-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

At the start of April I made the mistake of switching back to ESB. I phoned their "sales team" who told me a bunch of total lies:

1) I had been set up with the maximum available discount for electricity only - Not correct
    2) I had been set up for ebilling "now" - Not Correct
    3) I would receive a verification email for ebilling "straight away" - Not Correct

I pm'ed David of ESB Electric Ireland via PM to resolve issues. This has not resolve the issues. David told me that I was set up with the correct email address, then he admitted inadvertently that the admin/sales team had messed up, and I would not receive an email verification until after a welcome pack is issued. I was not told by David that I was set up with the wrong discount or that I would be getting paper bills.

Yesterday I got my first paper bill with the wrong discount and I have still not got an email verification for ebilling.

I phoned the useless ESB call centre last night, at my expense, I was left on hold for 10 minutes and then I gave up trying to fix these issues. They had told me before I was put on hold that I was not set up for eBilling ("I have now fixed this") at all nor was I set up for the correct discount ("but this is not my department").

David/Una -if you can please fix these issues with your admin/sales teams -
    A) Cancel my bill - Do not take this money out of my bank account.
    B) Re-issue the bill electronically with the correct discount
    C) Set me up for eBilling

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You should PM the guys with your details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Fungus wrote: »
    At the start of April I made the mistake of switching back to ESB. I phoned their "sales team" who told me a bunch of total lies:

1) I had been set up with the maximum available discount for electricity only - Not correct
    2) I had been set up for ebilling "now" - Not Correct
    3) I would receive a verification email for ebilling "straight away" - Not Correct

I pm'ed David of ESB Electric Ireland via PM to resolve issues. This has not resolve the issues. David told me that I was set up with the correct email address, then he admitted inadvertently that the admin/sales team had messed up, and I would not receive an email verification until after a welcome pack is issued. I was not told by David that I was set up with the wrong discount or that I would be getting paper bills.

Yesterday I got my first paper bill with the wrong discount and I have still not got an email verification for ebilling.

I phoned the useless ESB call centre last night, at my expense, I was left on hold for 10 minutes and then I gave up trying to fix these issues. They had told me before I was put on hold that I was not set up for eBilling ("I have now fixed this") at all nor was I set up for the correct discount ("but this is not my department").

David/Una -if you can please fix these issues with your admin/sales teams -
    A) Cancel my bill - Do not take this money out of my bank account.
    B) Re-issue the bill electronically with the correct discount
    C) Set me up for eBilling

I heard Padraig McManus, over paid chief executive of ESB, defend his salary, on radio the other morning, by saying ESB was not a badly run company like the banks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

PM sent to Fungus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I heard Padraig McManus, over paid chief executive of ESB, defend his salary, on radio the other morning, by saying ESB was not a badly run company like the banks:D

Now in fairness you can't compare them to the banks over one complaint from Fungus. The adhere to all regulatory requirements and the company seems to be well run. It certainly tops many customer satisfaction ratings surveys. I think you're being a bit disingenuous, towards all those good people that work there, with those comments. But maybe you know more about how the company operates than I do...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Just an update, Una is been helpful with this today, and has offered a gesture payment for this mess.

The issues are still open never the less, ESB will update me on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

This has now been resolved for Fungus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Yeah, I think you'll find he didn't actually defend it - he said it was for others to decide whether he was worth it or not.

But don't let the truth get in the way of a good story, whatever you do! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Fungus wrote:
    Switching Back Has Been a Total Nightmare

Clearly not everyone's experience. Credit where credit's due! I found the process painless, I guess the OP got unlucky by the sounds of it.
    -Corkie- wrote:
    I have had a very smooth changeover thanks to David here... One other thing the other Reps on the other Talk to forums here should visit this one to see a job done to perfection. Well done folks. :)

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

I have to agree. I am trying to move back to ESB Electric Ireland since 05th April, have contacted their (no help) contact centre and emailed their complaints department a week ago... no response surprise surprise

So now today I have emailed the CER to see if that does the trick.

Do these people want business or not? I simply don't get it. Why waste money advrtising a service you can't even switch people to.

To make matters worse I was "trying" to move Gas and Electricity

What are they at !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

move your gas to Flogas that will benefit you best , don't get caught up in the whole Bundles nonsense, not worth it

ESB = cheapest electricity (with dd and online billing)
    flogas = cheapest gas (with dd and online billing)

• Advertisement

careca11 wrote: »
    move your gas to Flogas that will benefit you best , don't get caught up in the whole Bundles nonsense, not worth it

ESB = cheapest electricity (with dd and online billing)
    flogas = cheapest gas (with dd and online billing)

Thanks will look into it.

Hi pureirish,

Sorry you have been having this experience. If you send me the following info by PM, I could have this escalated for you:

- The address in question
    - MPRN number
    - GPRN number
    - Your name

Regards,
    Una

Hi pureirish,

Sorry you have been having this experience. If you send me the following info by PM, I could have this escalated for you:

- The address in question
    - MPRN number
    - GPRN number
    - Your name

Regards,
    Una

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Flogas dont do online billing they actually send you out a bill but yes sign up for direct debit and switch to them because they are the best for gas and esb electric ireland are best for electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ben4149

mum passed away had to change bill in to my name with electric ireland was told set up direct debit or 300euro deposit so i set up direct debit on monday discovered 300 euro taken out of my acc have phoned customer service 3 times at around 30euro on my mobile phone between the bank and electric ireland as i was told by customer service that they did not take any money from my acc but the back gave me details proving they had was told it would be put back in my account that was monday afternoon now wensday and no money phoned electric ireland again had no record of my complaint or request for my 300 euro my acc now in overdraft as mortgage was due was told to phone back friday as the money was locked just cant belive that anyone can have there money taken and be treated so badly and notting can be done i feel like i have been robbed

Hi Ben4149,

I am very sorry to read things have been so difficult for you. It sounds like the deposit was applied to the Electric Ireland account before the direct debit was set up - this can happen sometimes if enough time elapses, causing the system to automatically apply the charge. Once the direct debit is set up though, the deposit charge is reversed. This may all just be a case of timing.

I will investigate this query for you first thing tomorrow morning - we are actually just finishing up now. But if you could send me by private message the following details, I'll have them to begin looking into it immediately tomorrow morning:

- The Electric Ireland account number
    - Your full name
    - The address/telephone number/date of birth on the Electric Ireland account
    - Confirmation that you are the named account-holder

Thanks and regards,
    Una

ben4149 update una got in touch for my details have past them on today.spoke with energy reg sending complaint form out in post,told me i should have been told they have ten days to respond and i should have been given a complaint ref number ,phoned them up and got it,still havent got my 300euro back and its cost me everytinme i call on my mobile.it seems that no matter what you do to try and resolve any problems with electric ireland they just lie and tell you different storeys or tell you it will be done anyting just to get you off the phone the last lady i spoke with was all but making fun of it ,but the more they treat me like crap ,it makes me more determined to pursue this matter till i get my money back and an apology with compensation for the cost to me will keep you updated

Hi Ben4149,

I have added your update to your query, which I and my colleagues are currently looking at for you.

Regards,
    Una

just got a call from a supervisor at electric ireland ,apologising for all the stress i have been put through and admitting that the fault lies directly with electric ireland.she has listened to all the recordings of my phone calls and admits that mistakes were made in the handling of all these calls,she has agreed to return my money to my account at the latest monday and is going to get back to me regarding the problems i experienced and compensation.she was lovely to speak to and very understanding and apologetic which is all i expected and it should have never reached this point if all the customer service staff dealt with complaints in this manner.

Hi Ben4149,

Yes, that was my colleague who called you - thanks very much for the update. :)

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Got a missed call at 3.30pm today from electric ireland listened to my messages and it was the superviser i spoke with earlier, she said i could call back on 1850372372 and just ask for her as she did not have a direct line,which i did after giving my details i said that i would like to speak with the superviser that she had just left a message for me and said i could just call and speak with her ,at that point i was asked to hold 6 mins later at my expence the lady came back on the phone and said a note had been left that the money would be paid back,i repeated that at the start i had just asked to speak with the superviser who had asked me to call back,i was then put trough over 7 mins later.it seems even the most simple of requests turns in to a game of indurance with electric ireland,i told the superviser the amount i felt would cover the cost that i have incured because of this nightmare,she said that she would need to speak with her manager and would not be in the office tomorrow but would phone me monday.hopellfuly my 300euro will be back in my acc by then and the matter of compensation will be resolved and i can get on with the rest of my life and i hope I never have to deal with this sort of nightmare again.i will keep you updated monday as to how i get on enjoy the weekend.

Hi Ben4149,

I have added this update to your query on our system. I am sorry you experienced phone delays - this would have been due to a high volume of incoming calls, causing the phone numbers in question to be engaged.

Thanks and regards,
    Una

Thanks una dont worry about the call yesterday i am just hoping things will all get sorted on monday,thank you for trying to help me sort this mess out.have a good weekend :)

hi hope you all had a nice weekend.just want to udate you on my on going nightmare,the 300euro has been put back in my account today, after a very long and very stressfull 7 days of calls, costing me around 50 euro on my mobile to electric ireland the bank and the energy reg , i was told i would here back from them today about comp for all my trouble but it hasent happened yet ?. but in fairness una has helped me get things moving and i am hopeful that i will here back soon.tks una:)

Hi Ben4149,

Thanks for the update. I will add that to your query on our system.

Thanks and regards,
    Una

just got a call from electric ireland,the nightmare is over,they have put the money back, have said they were sorry and given me some comp for all what happened.and i cant ask for anymore then that.thank you una and your friend who phoned me from electric ireland for sorting everything out great job,and thank you boards.ie,in the end electric ireland sorted out eveything so thank you electric ireland.

Delighted to read it! Many thanks for the update and feedback - happy to help! I will advise my colleague of this post also. :)

All the best,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Hi everyone,
    Just passing through and hope I'm in the right thread. I have a general question. Well, after having gas for the past 20 years, I am thinking of changing whereby, while we were using gas for cooking all these years, we are thinking electric for cooking. Before we make up our mind's, we want to know if would be worthwhile economically. Could anybody comment on this. I'm just talking normal every day cooking with oven and hob.
    John

Hi JByrne10,

I'm checking this out for you now.

In the meantime, our appliance calculator (available online or as an app) might be useful for comparisons.

All the best :)
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Thank you, Una, for your reply. I will have a look at the appliance calculator and it should give me a good idea. Thanks again.
    John

Advertisement