Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st bike with provisional license permit

• 28-04-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm looking at getting a 500cc bike as my first bike. and I'm a bit confused as to will I be able to get insured on a bike this size as I will only have a provisional A license until I pass the practical test.

all info welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to motorbikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

You'll need to provide your age for anyone to remotely guess at insurance.

Note: 500cc and below 25 years old is not going to be too practical. Below 20 and you might want to start looking at 125s or 250s

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Damien_d12

I'm 32 years old.

Damien_d12 wrote: »
    I'm 32 years old.

Cool, above 30 will mean you could get decent insurance on a 600cc.

I started on a 600cc (factory restricted) myself on a provisional, with Aon providing the insurance and I was 26. Though the Dublin address made it expensive, Kildare would have saved me a lot.

Anyway you might want to budget for anything up to 800 euro depending on the value of the bike itself. It will drop pretty quickly with 1 years no claims etc

OK, so after I get a provisional license (category A), I can expect an insurance company to insure me on a 500c?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Damien_d12 wrote: »
    OK, so after I get a provisional license (category A) and do me IBT, I can expect an insurance company to insure me on a 500c?

FYP

You first do your theory test, then get your leanrers permit.
    Then you do 16 hours training, then you can get insurance, and ride on public roads on your own.

But, I would advise you to phone the insurance companies now, and get quotes.

There are only four companies that insure bikes:
    - Aon
    - Quinn
    - Carole Nash
    - Adelaide

Thanks all, I'm clear as crystal now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

P.C. wrote: »
    FYP

You first do your theory test, then get your leanrers permit.
    Then you do 16 hours training, then you can get insurance, and ride on public roads on your own.

But, I would advise you to phone the insurance companies now, and get quotes.

There are only four companies that insure bikes:
    - Aon
    - Quinn
    - Carole Nash
    - Adelaide

Im in the same boat as op just about 2 years older, I have a full b and c licence and an A1. I've never done any bike test. It's about 5 years since I renewed it last so expires around 2015.
    What do I need to do to get up and running, the same as op or does my a1 count for anything? Thanks

Friend is selling his R1, would it be to fast a bike to drive at slow speeds if I bought it and got it restricted until I'm experienced enough and have my full licence?

Sorry I know it's in tue charter but I'm a bit confused by it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Just an FYI,

I'm on a provisional too. Started off on a 1200, now I moved to 1340. There hd bikes and had no issue with getting covered. Neither bike was restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Just an FYI,

I'm on a provisional too. Started off on a 1200, now I moved to 1340. There hd bikes and had no issue with getting covered. Neither bike was restricted.

Well you better ensure the bike is under 33bhp or has a power to weight ratio of less than 0.16kw/kg or else you are uninsured and unlicensed.

I'm on a prov license too on a SV650 restricted. It's plenty fast and will suffice until I pass my test and get a Street Triple or maybe a Multistrada.

New riders on unrestricted bikes are worse than uninsured car drivers IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It most certainly is. Ran through it with the insurance company too. There very heavy bikes. My mate has a racing bike 600cc restricted, still leaves my bike for dirt.

Anybody know the answer to my licence question thanks?

Anybody know the answer to my licence question thanks?

Well an R1 would need an A license and not an A1. So since that would be a new category you'd be in the same boat as the OP (check answer that is posted by P.C.)

Provisional + R1 could be expensive on the insurance front depending on your address.

If you knew bikes are for you, maybe buy and store the R1 and get a second hand 600 to get you over the learning period + restricted period. The R1 will attract all sorts when you are stopped at a set of lights and with a restriction fitted it'll give the R1 a bad name ;) Think of the bike.

Could I just get a 125 Suzuki dt or something similar on my a1, ride that around for 2 years then get a bigger bike that's unrestricted. As I have an a1 for about 17 years do I still have to do the 16 hrs training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Your A1 license entitles you to ride a 125 cc or 11kw motorcycle. To go bigger, you will have to do theory test,apply for a learner permit for class A ,IBT to get on the road.After 6 mths with the learner permit you can do your test.

Thanks Johnny,

If I bought something like this http://www.adverts.ie/533342 to get me started, could I keep using it until I have the Ibt done and while waiting for the 2yrs to pass on 33bhp or less or do I need a bigger bike to get a provisional A.

I presume that 125 I can just go out and get insured and start driving with my a1 without doing any tests?

Lot of bogs and forrestry around me so something like that might suit for a little bit off off road while waiting for the 2yrs to pass and I could save for a good bike once the restrictions have lifted.

Have I that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Im assuming that your A1 is on your full license. If so,then you can get and ride that 125 immediately,although lessons would be recommended.You can get an A learner permit without having a bike.You can get any size bike but it must be restricted to 33bhp.(some cruisers would come under the power/weight ratio also).The learner permit can be renewed for a second 12mths period after which the test must be applied for.The 33 bhp restriction is in force for the first 2 years of your FULL A license.

Advertisement