Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't start lawnmower

Options
  • 28-04-2011 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Im an average woman, I like to think I am not a weakling, but I cannot start up my petrol mower. I dont have the strength to pull the long cable and start it so I usually have to wait for my son to call in to cut the grass.
    Does anybody have any tips on how to start a mower without putting your shoulder out of its socket?
    Wouldnt you think in this day and age someone wouldve come up with a mower that starts with a little button or something?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Assuming you've checked there is petrol in the tank, have you checked oil level. Low oil level will prevent starting.

Manual/Auto choke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 brenglee

yea, my son can start it without a problem. its a manual choke (i think) i had same problem with last mower too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

brenglee wrote: »
    Wouldnt you think in this day and age someone wouldve come up with a mower that starts with a little button or something?

Ask and you shall receive..
    Electric start from Husqvarna

http://www.husqvarna.com/ie/homeowner/products/lawn-mowers/lc-53e-e/
    lc-53e-e-4f497e88.png

Just don't know if its a "little" button, but maybe the button size wouldn't matter too much ;)

thats great, but the one i have is only one year old and ive no cash to buy a new one. recession and all that ?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Seriously though...
    did you always struggled or has it got worse, if it's gotten worse then maybe a bit of a service would do it good...

• Advertisement

nope, its me, not the mower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I find it really difficult too. I can usually start it to begin with, but when I turn it off to empty the cuttings (or unclog if I'm letting them fly...) I can never get it to start again without pain:(

thank god im not the only one!! i the opposite, i can start it up once its warm,but cant get it started in the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

You could start it with a drill... Plenty of how-to video's on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROhSBGenPy8&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Dare I say it, I think it's a female thing !! I can't hang clothes on the line or fill the dishwasher properly (or so I;m told) Lawnmower needs a short sharp pull and it does take a while to get used to, but hey get someone else to start it, put a cable tie on the handle to keep it runnin and hey presto. Had to that recently after a visit to hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Maybe an electric mower would be better for you?
    If you don't have acres of heavy grass then an electric machine may suit, something like the Bosch Rotak would be pretty powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

shawnee wrote: »
    put a cable tie on the handle to keep it runnin .

Health and safety warning: DO NOT DO THIS! PLEASE!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Health and safety warning: DO NOT DO THIS! PLEASE!

+ 1, jeepers, dont do that its not safe:(. Maybe the flywheel brake needs adjusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sno_fun3

Hi brenglee when starting mower pull start cord out slowly about halfway until you feel a bit of resistance,keep hold of the chord and let it back in all the way then pull to make your attempt to and start
    It should prove a bit easier this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

On my mower there's a red 'tickling button' that fills the carbourettor before starting.

Press it 3 or 4 times.

Also, if your mower's been laid up for a while, the petrol goes stale,making it almost impossible to start.

Refill/top-up with new petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

This is what you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

On a purely technical point there is no reason why a rachet type mechanism couldn't be fitted to a pull start mower. They are already on small 2T equipment like chainsaws and strimmers,Easystart etc.
    The idea is that you pull several times, you aren't pulling the engine over the compression stroke so it's not hard, all you are doing is winding a big clockspring, as soon as there is enough tension on the spring the engine will kick over automatically.
    If you had it so it released only when you are at the bar with the handle pulled in it would be safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I found a nice man, who as well as giving it a good service, he also shortened the pull cord for me. All for a tenner!

Advertisement