Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP

• 28-04-2011 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

a

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I think this is really hard to give advice on but you can do one of two things I suppose. Anticipate the fallout and go and confide in the boss or wait until/if they come to you and then confide. I'm sorry I cant offer anything more insightful but I hope you're ok. I think most bosses, no matter how crazy they are in business mode, can appreciate personal issues and I cant see how they'd react badly to something like what you describe. Can I be so forward as to suggest you talk to your doctor about counselling services?

Work servers can store a lot of information but it just depends on their setup.

Your GP would be able to get you counselling on the medical card if you have one. Re the issue, I suppose if you explain it as you've explained it here I cant see how someone could not sympathise with you. If you're really really worried speak to your boss in confidence. I can understand it probably wont be easy to do this. I cant see how you'd get into legal trouble reading threads on a forum. Try to talk with someone such as your doctor to get some support on this.

I suppose then take the risk that no one looks and if it does come back on you just be honest with them and explain it and I'm sure they'll be sympathetic. I'm not a counsellor nor much good at advice but I hope you've told your doctor everything because maybe they can help in ways you haven't thought of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

According to my team leader they never go through the web history
    That's usually the case - only there for reference should a complaint arise.

Could you drop a brief e-mail about the event to your team leader? This could help you if it ever comes up in the future (provided the team leader doesn't delete your e-mail or if it is stored/backed-up on company servers). You could also point to this thread if you had to.

In any event, the fact that the other pages you were visiting were on a related topic will support your explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

As the other lads suggested even the most strict boss would not make an issue out of this especially if everything is as accurate as you suggested, like nothing illegal was looked up and you were on your break.

From a legal standpoint if the company doesn't have an acceptable usage policy when it comes to the computers you have nothing to worry about.

A company I know of sacked an employee for sending personal emails from her own account and had to pay a hefty out of court settlement for unfair dismissal as they had no acceptable usage policy.

I used to be a system administrator in a school so I had to monitor the server logs every now and then, mostly when someone complained. They store a huge amount of info and will back up your story.

In my opinion you should say nothing as the chances of them checking the logs and finding anything are slim, and even if they do you are only going to get a ticking off at most.

As for your anxiety disorder glad to hear you can share it with someone (even if it is only a forum of strangers), thats a big step, as is the fact that you don't just want to take pills to deal with the situation.

You should be able to find free counseling services (look at aware.ie). A good friend of mine suffers from depression and its not an easy subject to approach him on, but you will be very surprised how accepting your friends can be, and they are probably worried about you anyway.

You stated that "I am sorry to ramble but need to talk.. I have been suffering in silence for so long now" so its obvious the op wasn't easy to write but I bet you started to feel better about it.

Hope this helps and advice like this is not usually my strong point but if you need to ramble, work away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement