Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornmaket bar re opening again?

• 28-04-2011 8:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear its reopening again with new owners?Think its opening this weekend for the Coronas gig

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Fine bar but they just can't seem to make it work, but of luck to the who ever taking it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Fine bar but they just can't seem to make it work, but of luck to the who ever taking it over.

Good luck to them but personally think it's badly laid out, course, I haven't been there in ages, maybe it's all changed. Would be great if the Market Quarter concept started to catch on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Found myself when it first opened it got a bad name for the the crowd it used to let in and never recovered from that. Lovely pub though...its amazing what a name change and a slight revamp can do. No reason it couldn't be successful if they did this in my opinion, just look at the office, its pretty much the same pub it was 6 months ago but is absolutely packed on Saturday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Bourkes is another prime example, a far cry from O'Riadas that closed a few years ago in the same place.

I think the Cornmarket is doomed unless it gets a complete change of identity.
    Best of luck + fair play to whoever is taking it on again there is serious potential there, but opening again as the 'Cornmarket' will draw the exact same people back there and lead down the same road...

[i'm assuming its opening again as the Cornmarket, haven't heard otherwise]

Bourkes is another prime example, a far cry from O'Riadas that closed a few years ago in the same place.

I think the Cornmarket is doomed unless it gets a complete change of identity.
    Best of luck + fair play to whoever is taking it on again there is serious potential there, but opening again as the 'Cornmarket' will draw the exact same people back there and lead down the same road...

[i'm assuming its opening again as the Cornmarket, haven't heard otherwise]

I'd agree with that, comes down to door policy though. Loads of pubs in that area have never had much hassle or much of a bad crowd, what was it about the Cornmarket that doomed it from the off? Personally I blame booking Aslan for the opening act, an ill-fated move if ever there was one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The brother looked at leasing it,its a huge bar to fill,if it didny fill in the celtic tiger the new owners will find it hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

terrible lay out, and devoid of any charm.

Think they want to go after the Symths/icon crowd at the weekend and students mid week with dirt cheap drink

so its just gonna be another kip then. newsflash for them, the students bring their own drink, get to town late and dont spend. weekend folk who are just lookign for the cheapest drink... you get the bitter end type crowd, and the type of crowd that place was getting before, and you dont last long with that type of crowd in a venue that size

Its licenced for nearly 800 people

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    so its just gonna be another kip then. newsflash for them, the students bring their own drink, get to town late and dont spend. weekend folk who are just lookign for the cheapest drink... you get the bitter end type crowd, and the type of crowd that place was getting before, and you dont last long with that type of crowd in a venue that size

Yeah, the place needs to have it's own charms to sell the place. It's something that Flannery's on Catherine street have finally learned. They've remodeled it and given it a more less "devoid of all life and goodness" feel.

If you had the choice of bars in the Market area, what would make you want to go to the Cornmarket, as it was? Nothing really, it was a bland, awkwardly laid out (seats that bit too high, tables that bit too big, couches too deep to sit back into, pillars in the way etc). Just a disaster really.

Some bars just have bad lay-outs. I'd put Bakers and the Cuckoo Box up there too. The vibe, for want of a better word, is/was just off in them. Then again, I'm more of a Curragower/Mickey Martins/Tom Collins kid of guy.

The new owners will hardly revamp what is really a brand new pub

bigpink wrote: »
    The new owners will hardly revamp what is really a brand new pub

Why not?

Surely if the new owners have any sense they'll see the pub is poorly laid out and do whatever they can to improve it.

They may not have enough money to revamp just open it

bigpink wrote: »
    They may not have enough money to revamp just open it

Who knows, you'll have to ask whoever told you it was reopening and report back here.

It's a pity, for the Market Quarter to succeed it needs as many pubs and restaurants as possible.

It has the busiest places,needs some small pubs and differnet pubs not all super/disco bars

Hope they make it a cool bar

they'd need to build some walls, at the moment its a warehouse with furniture in it, utterly charmless, just smacks of "pack em in".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It has serious potential to be one of the best bars in Limerick. And when it opened first was very nice, went in quite often, then the door policy changed and so did the clientele - hence why so many have said it closed.

Yeah it wasn't so much the door staff, more the door policy changing that instigated its downfall...

God the thoughts of a giant Bitter End almost gives me nightmares!

Yeah it wasn't so much the door staff, more the door policy changing that instigated its downfall...

God the thoughts of a giant Bitter End almost gives me nightmares!

Would be interesting to see what a different design could do for the place. Nancies is well laid out in that even when it's not busy you can go into the old bar and it seems busy.

• Advertisement

Big bar to fill

A different layout/identity and theres serious potential. Simply reopening a place with a bad reputation isn't going to be anything but misery for the owner.

A small front area (for the quiet nights) with the option to open up a back/upstairs area seems to be the magic solution for a large busy bar. Nancys as mentioned being the prime example.
    Flannerys and the (old?!?) Cornmarket being the opposite! Tumbleweed rolling around those places on a quiet night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It opened and was quite enjoyable but very quickly got a bad crowd and the normal punter just gave up on it, very hard to recover.

But still Symths is one of the worst bars in Limerick with the worst doormen and its still packed. So who knows the secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The Walkabout bars in the UK are a prime example of what can be done with it. A few I have been in have been small for small crowds and when big matches or that are on they open up the rest of it. There is always good craic in there and great promotions on drink. The last time I was in one it was 10% off drink for Munster fans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Somewhere like this place would be great in Limerick,if I had the money I'd do it myself :)

http://www.fxbrestaurants.com/bullcastle/home.html

But still Symths is one of the worst bars in Limerick with the worst doormen and its still packed. So who knows the secret.

Bands 6 nights, cheap drink, and most of all Icon upstairs! Smyths has absolutely no redeeming features to it as a pub...

The continued existence of Smyths is a mystery to me, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

convenience.

Prick of a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Didnt realise it was even closed, fine floor area though could be used as a good sports bar with lots of tvs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some people would say the same about Nancy's, etc. It's down to personal choice. I've no time for either place as they are cattlemarkets at weekends but alot of people do like to go to them and spend their money. Making money is why these places are around so long.

Advertisement