Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm is going off occasionally even when the alarm isn't set

Options
  • 28-04-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

My intruder alarm has recently started to go off sometimes when I'm at home and the alarm isn't even on. What would cause this? I mentioned it to the installer and he said it might be the battery. We changed the battery but it made no difference. I need to call the installer back but I'm just wondering what the root cause might be. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

There is more than likely a faulty device on the alarm. Did the alarm give an indication of what the problem was when you disarmed the system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

altor wrote: »
    There is more than likely a faulty device on the alarm. Did the alarm give an indication of what the problem was when you disarmed the system ?
    I have a panic button, could it be that?

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I have a panic button, could it be that?

Is that what it gives as the cause of the alarm ?

altor wrote: »
    Is that what it gives as the cause of the alarm ?
    I can't get into the menu to see as I don't have the engineer's code but for some strange reason I suspect there might be a problem with the panic button. Could a fault with the panic button cause the alarm to go off even when it isn't armed?

I can't get into the menu to see as I don't have the engineer's code but for some strange reason I suspect there might be a problem with the panic button. Could a fault with the panic button cause the alarm to go off even when it isn't armed?

Yes it could set the alarm off. You try close off the zone to see if stops the issue. If it does you could replace the panic button. What system have you installed ?

• Advertisement

Thanks Altor for the advice. The engineer seems to have restricted my access to so many functions?? I think he is fond of his call out fee!! I will call him out tomorrow anyway and at least I'll know that is ok to ask him to look at the panic button situation. I was afraid before that he might laugh if I suggested that might be the problem. The system is Airtech BTW. Many thanks, Mrs D :)

Your welcome Mrs D,
    I would get him to set the code back to default or change it to something you know if that is the case. It is easy enough to change it if he does this for you. It will give you more control over the system for any issues you may have.
    If your having repeat issues you should not be charged the call out for the same fault. Only the log will tell you what the fault is if it does not come up on the keypad. If you need any more help, just ask :D

Altor you're a star, thanks a million :). In fairness I have absolutely no problem paying the engineer for all necessary call outs but at the moment if the alarm goes off while I'm at work (could just be down to a kid's football or the postman knocking too hard on a window) but because I can't access certain options on the panel I have to contact the engineer to find out why the alarm went off and of course he charges me. I'll definitely ask him about the code, I'd say he won't be impressed though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its an Aritech system it should display the cause of the activation as soon as you disarm it after an alarm.

Altor you're a star, thanks a million :). In fairness I have absolutely no problem paying the engineer for all necessary call outs but at the moment if the alarm goes off while I'm at work (could just be down to a kid's football or the postman knocking too hard on a window) but because I can't access certain options on the panel I have to contact the engineer to find out why the alarm went off and of course he charges me. I'll definitely ask him about the code, I'd say he won't be impressed though.

Regardless of what he thinks it is your system Mrs D. If there is a problem that he has not fixed he cant justify charging you a second call out fee for the same problem. When he changed the battery did he test all the zones for faulty sensors that may be causing the fault ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement