Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer pup goes nuts when left out the back and the best way to housetrain one

• 28-04-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Just wanted your opinion on how to get a 6 month old boxer used to being in the rear garden. Anytime you put him out there he starts to jump up at the patio door window to get in. Is there any training you can do to get him to stop taking mickey fits to get in. Also any advice on trying to house train a boxer. Its frustrating that sometimes you let him out to do the business and as soon as he comes back inside he does it right in front of you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Our boxer is 18mths now and we trained her relatively easily.

We kept the back door open as much as possible, put Newspaper on the kitchen floor, and gradually moved it towards the door.

Each time she peed on the floor we just pointed at it and said NO in a stern voice, most of the time though we took her out every 30 mins and stood in the back with her, when she did her business we made a big fuss of her (Wish my wife would do that to me when i have a crap).

As for jumping on the patio window, i wouldn't know as we never close her outside, a few times she's been 'accidently' closed out but she just stands by the back door looking sorry for herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Having just trained 2 puppies to go outside within a week and be clean over night within 2 weeks we found that rewarding for everytime they go outside and a sharp no when going inside worked. You have to be consistant with this though and they soon realise that its more fun to go outside.
    As for jumping at the patio door opening it and squirting with water, this doesn't hurt them just shocks them out of the behaviour. If this feels awkward try a rattle bottle. They respond quickly to these for all sorts of behaviour such as jumping up at people or doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭billyhead

piperh wrote: »
    Having just trained 2 puppies to go outside within a week and be clean over night within 2 weeks we found that rewarding for everytime they go outside and a sharp no when going inside worked. You have to be consistant with this though and they soon realise that its more fun to go outside.
    As for jumping at the patio door opening it and squirting with water, this doesn't hurt them just shocks them out of the behaviour. If this feels awkward try a rattle bottle. They respond quickly to these for all sorts of behaviour such as jumping up at people or doors.

Thanks folks. The advice is appreciated

Just another question. Could a boxer dog that keeps jumping up against the patio door window damage it. (Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

billyhead wrote: »
    Just another question. Could a boxer dog that keeps jumping up against the patio door window damage it. (Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question)

I'd say the only thing he would do is scratch the glass on it. Re the house training, would you consider crate training it a great way to do training. At his age I'd say it would be easy enough train him. I had a foster 5mt old that I trained in a week. If you use a word, I always use "busy, busy". So say if he is asleep in the kitchen and wakes up, keep repeating this word and let him follow you outside, keep walking around the grass and repeating the word until he goes, when he does, lots of praise and a small treat.

• Advertisement

RubyGirl wrote: »
    I'd say the only thing he would do is scratch the glass on it. Re the house training, would you consider crate training it a great way to do training. At his age I'd say it would be easy enough train him. I had a foster 5mt old that I trained in a week. If you use a word, I always use "busy, busy". So say if he is asleep in the kitchen and wakes up, keep repeating this word and let him follow you outside, keep walking around the grass and repeating the word until he goes, when he does, lots of praise and a small treat.

Thanks for the advice RubyGirl. I suppose a lot of the house training boils down to patience. Hes also fond of chewing up the flowers. I want to try and get him used to being in the back garden though and not always wanting to be inside. I was considering getting a dog run also from Cill Dara. Would a size of 6ft wide by 12ft long be suitable for a boxer at both his age and when he becomes an adult size. I have a kennel already which I could put into it for shelter and sleeping. Also they flat pack deliver them and I was wondering are they hard to put together. I would prefer if he used a dog run during the day and then came inside in the evening. He sleeps on a dog bed in the kitchen at the moment which he seems content with so there is no need to let him sleep elsewhere. One about him is that he snores like an old man:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

The best advice I could give which has already been said which I have done with my now 7month old rottie is leave the doors open whenever you are at home my fella used to ALWAYS go inside the house but once I start leaving the doors open instant success I mean literally in a couple of days problem sorted.

In relation to your dog enclosure for the dog, why do you want him in a pen all day? Would he not be allowed use the whole back garden? I have plans to one day put my fella out the back garden like yourself but he will have the run of the back garden.

Also,

What would an ideal time if any to give him his last meal of the day and remove his water to limit him having to relive himself at night. At the moment I get up twice during the night to let him out the back to do the business. is this usually what has to be done?

garkane wrote: »
    The best advice I could give which has already been said which I have done with my now 7month old rottie is leave the doors open whenever you are at home my fella used to ALWAYS go inside the house but once I start leaving the doors open instant success I mean literally in a couple of days problem sorted.

In relation to your dog enclosure for the dog, why do you want him in a pen all day? Would he not be allowed use the whole back garden? I have plans to one day put my fella out the back garden like yourself but he will have the run of the back garden.

Hi Gar,

It was just what was mentioned to me about dog runs being useful. i would not mind giving him the run of the garden as its well fenced in and there are no hazards for him their. Also he is staring to sit on my plants (literraly squash them) and chew some of them which is a bit anoying. I would prefer to not have to get a dog run but if he gets to bosterous and destroys all the plants then I may have no other option. Does anyone have any tips to entice the dog to go into the kennel. Its like he is afraid to use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Throw a bit of cooked sausage into it a couple of times a day.

I'm not even joking - you have to get him to see the kennel as a place where nice things happen. We trained ours to like the kennel within a couple of days by doing that.

I know of few dogs who could resist the scent of a bit of fresh sausage! He may run straight out again at first, but keep at it and he'll soon lose his fear of it.

Re: the water. You shouldn't take away water. Even if they end up peeing.

We only feed ours once a day,mid-morning. Others say twice a day, but we were dealing with about 4 poos a day when we tried that. Now we have two like clockwork - one first thing in the morning and one on the evening walk.

After that I encourage him out every 2 hours until I go to bed at around 11.30. And stay with him to see if he does it.

Ours is housetrained and therefore doesn't go in the kitchen overnight but if yours is not then I'd buy some pee pads and put one down. They're meant to have scent to attract the dog to pee there.

As far as letting him out to do his business and then doing it when it comes back in - do you stay out with him to check that he's done it outside? Cos that's what you need to do I'm afraid. You bring him out every 2 hrs all day long and wait beside him until something happens. Tons of praise as they're doing it. Some times they won't need to go of course, but by this method you'll certainly guarantee their bladder is more likely to be emptied outside than inside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fatheadsgt

I had a boxer for a long time. The digging up the garden is just a puppy thing, my boxer destroyed my garden. If you are going to be away from him for the day the dog run would be a good idea. They need lots of exercise so they won't have the energy to dig up you garden. It will be well worth the hassel when he is older

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If you can't cage the dog, cage the flowers. I understand well that you value your garden; we are the same. And when we had peacocks and ducks, we simply erected a fruit cage over the vegetables and wire netting round the flower beds. Here, much the same. dogs and gardens do not mix.. A long roll of chicken wire, and a few posts is all you need.

we also lay chicken wire over newly sown beds as that keeps the cats off. Can be reused each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Boxer pups are just the most gorgeous things, with those big eyes and floppy ears. Unfortunately the behaviour when left alone is not that gorgeous, boxers are very mischievious dogs. My female boxer took to destroying my garden anytime she was left out in the back garden (when I was in work). She used to tear the trees apart, costing me a blooming fortune. I tried that get off my garden stuff, sprays and even pepper but had no joy. The bad news is no matter how much I tried to train her not to eat the plants, she really only stopped when she turned 5 :confused: (yes that years not months), now she is the best boxer:). As regards toilet training, as everyone else has said, I found it easy to toilet train her, a stern "no" pointing at the "surprise mess" and putting her outside worked for me. Despite all the antics, I wouldn't have any other dog but a boxer, fantastic loyal affectionate dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I have a boxer who is 4 years old now, and one thing i will say is that they need to be trained young! Boxers have so much energy and are pups for life but you need to lay down the law when they go a bit too crazy ;)

After 2 weeks or so after getting her we stuck her out in the shed in her kennel leaving the kenel and shed door open.She complained at the start but eventually got used to her surroundings.

The pup is only young so be patient with it even though it can be hard!!!

Great choice on a boxer, you won't regret it one bit!! Post some pics up if you get a chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FlamingSox

Boxers like to be part of the family and crave human companionship. They tend not to do well being left outdoors alone for long. They will also become destructive if left for long periods due to boredom.

The puppy will need to relieve itself after play periods, after each meal, after it has been sleeping and anytime it indicates that it is looking for a place to urinate or defacate. You need to be consistent and patient. You should take the puppy to a particular place in your garden (on leash) and choose a command you will use each time you want your puppy to 'go'. I use 'wee,wee'. I'm sure you could come up with a better one!! Believe me, it works and shouldn't take long for your puppy to grasp what it is you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FlamingSox

Forgot to mention that an adult boxer should be fed twice a day, not once due to the possibility of bloat.

Advertisement