Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to chase a wall?

• 28-04-2011 10:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

So whats the easiest/best way to chase a brick wall in a house to install some 16mm pvc electrical conduit??

Lump hammer and bolster chisel,or an angle grinder and disc?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can't chase walls silly! they don't move

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Skerries wrote: »
    you can't chase walls silly! they don't move

Oh sweet lord jesus
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

just run as fast as you can.

While I know its light humoured and all that,it isnt answering my question on a more serious basis.

Lump hammer and bolster chisel or angle grinder and disc for chasing a narrow track in a wall??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Cut two tracks with your grinder, and knock it out with your hammer and bolster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

angle grinder and disc , then the track should knock out easily.

If you have a angle grinder a hose can attach to even better or else one with a hoover attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

WTF?

This a joke question?

Edit.
    oh yeah. em, chase a wall. of course. the hammer thingy is prob best.

Thanks for that.

Is there a specific type of disc thats best suited for cutting a track into a wall?

Angle grinder is a small hand held Parkside (lidl) angle grinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

You can hire a wall chaser, it's like an angle grinder with two parallel discs. Easy to control and gives a neat cut. It'll have a hose connection for a vacuum cleaner to catch most of the dust.
    Angle grinder on it's own will take ages, raise loads of dust and give a very rough and ragged chase.
    Hammer and chisel: rather you than me.
    Best solution after the wall chaser is a small compressor and a pneumatic chisel - goes through concrete like a knife through butter and is light in the hand. Tons of dust though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

i use whats generally called a diamond disc in the trade , its shiny silver metal disc especially for cutting hard stone or tiles etc etc , eats through the stone usually, make sure you get a good dust mask and eye protection its totally. essential when using them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

If you're using a grinder, get some decent dusk masks - the amount of dust produced is insane.

What sort of distance are you doing? if it's a lot, hire a kango hammer to clear out the track after you've used the grinder - much quicker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Diamond blades for a 4 1/2 inch grinder won't be too expensive. Run two tracks up the wall and chip out with a kango would be the easiest. Cutting with a disc would rise quite a lot of dust, so it wouldn't want to be in the kids bedroom if you know what I mean.

Failing all that, you could just get a big masonry drill and run a line of holes in the wall and chip out the remainder. Wouldn't be as clean a line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Stone blades on the angle grinder or a chasing saw or a circular saw with a stone blade works well too with 2 passes as the depth and width can be controlled better. Just knock out the centre with a bolster or even a screw driver wedged in normally breaks out the centre if forced in the right direction. Theres probably loads of ways just what ever tools you have and then your preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Is there a specific type of disc thats best suited for cutting a track into a wall?

Angle grinder is a small hand held Parkside (lidl) angle grinder

Did this same recently with probably the same angle grinder with a stone disc. Was fine for what i did which was a couple of tracks about 1.5 M each. As others have said it is messy, in fact it raises an unbelievable amount of dust much worst than a core drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

I found that it is easy enough to drill a series of holes using a big sds drill bit. Then just connect up the holes using the hammer action of the drill.
    A bit more work than using the disks but a lot less dusty.

Advertisement