Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tins/Storage for ingredients

Options
  • 28-04-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how do folks store their baking ingredients?
    I designed the kitchen to have a baking press it's fairly narrow but there's 3 shelves but it's over flowing. May need to take the kitchen apart and re arrange things. Have gotten a few cute tins (ginger bread men so cute) for things like cocoa,icing sugar etc. but not sure if there's any point in getting a load of jars and tins whether that would just end up taking up more space.

How do you store your stuff like bulky things like flour etc.?
    Have about 5 different types of sugar as it is.
    Do you label your stuff or are you like me and just have everything thrown into the press and end up breaking something because of rooting in the back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I just have a set of shelves, 3 rows, where I keep pretty much everything, one section for flour, one for sugar, etc. The only thing I transfer into a container other than the package it came in is caster sugar and brown sugar, because I use a lot of them so having open bags isn't convenient because they spill, and because I keep a vanilla pod in my caster sugar so need to transfer it into a container. The rest of my sugars stay in there bags because I use less of them and not very often.

I have a "chocolate press" too, a narrow (could do with a bigger one tbh) shelf unit where I keep all my chocolate bars, chocolate chips, etc. They all keep falling out on top of me when I open it though, needs a clear out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Storage solutions are a big part of my life - sad, I know.:) I had a dreadful experience with ants in my kitchen two years ago which taught me that everything must be sealed tightly to be reassured of hygiene.

[I'll never forget following a line of the little fuppers into an icing sugar bag, greedy little yokes gorging themselves...*shudder*
    ]

So, storage bags boxes and tubs became a big part of my life. The various 2euro shops sell "cornflake containers" that are just the biz for flour, oats, sugar, anything powdered really.
    I have a small kitchen so I invested in a kitchen kart from Ikea, a standalone kart on wheels that I put all my baking supplies on. Storage boxes with lids contain my random ingredients, nuts, icing, etc, keeping them cool and dry. I use alot of plastic ziplock baggies, aldi's ones, for any opened bag of anything. Then years of teenage retail work keeps me in stock rotation, using the older items first and storing the newer at the back.
    You actually save money by doing this, less spoilage, less waste.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Eviledna wrote: »
    Storage solutions are a big part of my life - sad, I know.:) I had a dreadful experience with ants in my kitchen two years ago which taught me that everything must be sealed tightly to be reassured of hygiene.

[I'll never forget following a line of the little fuppers into an icing sugar bag, greedy little yokes gorging themselves...*shudder*]
    Ugh I too had trouble with some kind of mite getting into my flour... horrific.. containers purchased pronto !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

:eek: I'm going to a 2 euro shop first thing tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't really use storage containers (with an exception for brown sugar) - otherwise everything is in its bag (tightly folded and clipped shut).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

2 euro shop is great I can get the plastic cake plates with the cover that clips over them for 2 quid which is handy when bringing cakes anywhere coz they usually end up going walkabout so are cheap to replace.

Must get some of those cereal type containers for flour, good idea plus they are narrow enough to fit neatly into the press. Might get some plastic clips for sugar etc.

Those little fruit flies that were around last year were trying to make their way into the baking press so deffo going to do a clean up and tidy up job on it. They're right little fekers and there was loads around last year especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Flour(s) are stored in lock n lock containers (4L size), got these in home store. Totally air tight and you can easily store full 2kg bag of flour.

Sugar(s) are stored in Kiliner (spelling?) style airtight jars bought in Ikea, couple of euro each & do the job great.

Don't use clipped bags anymore, has to be proper containers for everything including cereals.

Well my non-baking things (raisins, pasta, rice, porridge) are all in containers but for baking I'm a clip sorta gal.

I always wanted to try and do what my dad used to do down in his shed for all his nuts/bolts/nails etc. He had a plank of wood on the underside of a shelf, with jar lids screwed to it. then he'd put his nails in the jar and it would screw up into the lid on the underside of the shelf. Seemed so handy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A flip I was in home store the other week, never dawned on me to look for plastic storage stuff, looked at everything but.

Zip lock bags are handy too, for some reason my cornflour goes everywhere so they're handy for messy things like that.

Advertisement