Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10/22 or 597

Options
  • 28-04-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Im thinking of getting a rifle for myself and dont know which to get. I am looking for a .22lr semi auto rifle for plinking and maybe abit of hunting too. I want something cheap and cheerful to do on the summer evenings! Do you have to have garda permission to modify the rifle such as new stock, new hammer or trigger? And also my dad has a .22 magnum i was wondering when i apply for my license for my .22lr can i put his .22 magnum on it as well as a joint owner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Don't get the 597. It's ugly and has awful feed issues.

Get the 10/22 and you wont look back. Preferrably get a second hand one and get a look at how accurate it is before you buy- some of them are belters, others aren't great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I had a rem 597 in 22 magnum and found it very good no issues, as I only ever used it on foxes and rabbits the most bullets I fed into the clip was 5 or 6. The old plastic mags should be gone which caused alot of issues are gone but make sure you check.

Accuracy is better than a bog standard 10/22.

I also have a 10/22 Deluxe Sporter, in 22 lr, dinger of a rifle and accurate to boot. I couldnt get a 597 in stainless hence I went for the ruger, also I am becoming a tweek freak:D

also I am becoming a tweek freak:D

That's just un-avoidable!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

what would be a fair price for a 10/22 and to get mounts put on so it can accept a bipod? Im a student so money is a big factor! and does anyone know anything about the legality of modifying parts?

whiteley91 wrote: »
    what would be a fair price for a 10/22 and to get mounts put on so it can accept a bipod? Im a student so money is a big factor! and does anyone know anything about the legality of modifying parts?

There are a number of SH 10/22's around the country. You're looking at about €400 and it should have the QD studs for a bi-pod, if not it will be an extra fiver. But the shop will normally fit them for no extra charge.

You're looking at another €200 for an average new scope or a decent SH one. I would always recommend going SH on the scope...

• Advertisement

Iv seen bipods on this go from around 100 so i presume thats about what ill be paying for that too? by any chance do you know where around kildare / carlow region i could get spare magazines and custom parts? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Iv seen bipods on this go from around 100 so i presume thats about what ill be paying for that too? by any chance do you know where around kildare / carlow region i could get spare magazines and custom parts? :D

Try Atlantic Sports the gun shop in Carlow for the ruger mags. He will have a couple of ruger 10/22 rifles in stock soon along with the one he now has in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

A new bog standard 10/22 should be around €350. I have a 4 x 32 Nikko Sterling Mount master on my DSP it cost approx €40. Harris bi pod was around €100 but you can make do as I did as a kid with a couple of 1/2 inch dowls

cool thanks a mill lads will pop into his shop next week and see what he has for me! Try and get myself a good package! dont want to pay way excessive money for abit of fun for the evenings!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shane32819

disagree about the 597. its a great gun. ive had no issues with it. not as many 'upgrades' available but those that are available are well worth it. check out this link...

http://tfrwiki.midworld.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Remington_597_Modifications_Guide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Had a 597, lost it to a product recall, no loss TBH,
    The magazine feed issues were annoying. The rotary magazine on the 10/22 is brilliant.

judging by the replies about the 597 its hit or miss with them if you get a good one? think ill go with the 10/22 people have had better experiences with it and loads people know how to fix them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sadib888

1. Semi-Auto - The Ruger 10/22 is great. There is a ton of info, and spare/aftermarket parts for it available. You can buy a stock one and then upgrade every component on it and really build it anyway you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I still use my 597 and it does suffer from feeding problems.
    but its a very accurate gun and cheap at 350 new,probably not good enough for competition due to feeding issue but as a hunter/plinker its great.

which would be more accurate out of the two rifles? standard barrels and same ammo and same scope! just bog standard which is a better rifle for accuracy and reliability? :confused:

from what ive read on the net, reviews wise, the 597 seems to be more accurate out of the box. but i could stand corrected on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

which would be more accurate out of the two rifles? standard barrels and same ammo and same scope! just bog standard which is a better rifle for accuracy and reliability? :confused:

597 all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

Hey White

If you want accuracy and reliability, I recommend you get yourself a bolt action .22 any of the CZ's would be a good choice or instead of shooting you will be spending your summer's evenings stripping down your semiautomatic rifle, cleaning it, and trying to get it to funcion reliably.

Shanmoll308

well im looking for a semi auto cos my dad owns a .22 wmr bolt action and i want a semi auto for abit fun with targets and very cheap shooting! have a budget of about 450-500ish?! so these two rifles kinda slot into this range

I'm in the market for a Ruger (clone) 10/22 and have sold my great grouping CZ varmint 22lr to fund to new rifle.
    I was loking at a friends Volquartsen 10/22 (Ruger clone) shooting under 1/4" @25m on Saturday. They will shoot tight groups.

• Advertisement

I was out with my Ruger 10/22T this evening. 6 rabbits, all head-shots...

They are much more accurate than people think; although I used to have an up-rated trigger unit, I think now that I am working I'll get another :)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

i used my 597 at the range and was able to get a 3 inch group at 50ms,not sure how good that is in relation to th 10/22 or others or whether i am a good or average shot.
    the 597 is a bitch to strip and clean because of the 2 bolt retaining rods and the trigger mechanism has to be unscrewed for secure storage.
    i prefer the simple pin removal to remove the mechanism but its not a huge deal.
    overall i am happy with mine and it does its job very well.

daveob007 wrote: »
    i used my 597 at the range and was able to get a 3 inch group at 50ms,not sure how good that is in relation to th 10/22 or others or whether i am a good or average shot.
    the 597 is a bitch to strip and clean because of the 2 bolt retaining rods and the trigger mechanism has to be unscrewed for secure storage.
    i prefer the simple pin removal to remove the mechanism but its not a huge deal.
    overall i am happy with mine and it does its job very well.

3" @ 50m that's not too hot in fact a good chance of a miss on a rabbit.
    I've got a 10/22 custom sorted from the uk and if it don't shoot at least 3/4" @50m it'll be getting the heave Ho

clivej wrote: »
    3" @ 50m that's not too hot in fact a good chance of a miss on a rabbit.
    I've got a 10/22 custom sorted from the uk and if it don't shoot at least 3/4" @50m it'll be getting the heave Ho

It will!

My 10/22 T is doing that with standard barrel and trigger... It's doing no better though with the ammo i'm using. I would say yours will shoot 1/2.
    I doubt if much better than 1/2" can be achieved with a .22lr.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Glensman wrote: »
    I doubt if much better than 1/2" can be achieved with a .22lr.

Ye of little faith. ;)

Image001.jpg?t=1305040944

Five shots prone, off the sling, with iron sights.

Ye of little faith. ;)

Five shots prone, off the sling, with iron sights.

That looks about 1/2" to me!!!

and you're cheating using one of those silly old-fashioned bolt-actions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Glensman wrote: »
    That looks about 1/2" to me!!!

and you're cheating using one of those silly old-fashioned bolt-actions ;)

That's under half an inch. The ten ring is 10.4mm, more like .35-.4 inches. And I think any cheating argument is mitigated by it being iron sights!

ha thats a nice bit of shooting alright!
    on a separate note how long would you think it would take to get the license? ruger 10/22 for a 19 year old on first license? no criminal record or anything like that and in rdf awhile now too? for hunting and have two land owners permission

shouldnt be any problem, but it can depend on your local super or fo. they have up to 3 months to decide on the matter

• Advertisement

awh right thanks for that! hope it wont take too long anyway i want to get out and about! anyone know where to get a bolt release, mag release and bolt handle for the ruger? anyone in ireland do them and how much if you know off hand!

Advertisement