Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My situation

• 28-04-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

Up to now I've done feck all studying. I got 220 in the mocks ( including a merit in LCVP)
    I got 36% in English and Economics. If I had of gotten 40% in each that 220 would have went up to 305( as I would discount my last subject which is maths which got me 5 points)
    I also failed french but since, I have dropped to ordinary.
    My results were something like this:
    Irish -O-72
    English-H-36
    Maths-O-42
    Economics-H-36
    Geography-H-62
    Business-H-51
    LCVP-72
    French-H-26
    Last week I did courses in Leeson Street for 6 hours a day and really, that was the start of the studying. Anyway, I'm wondering, if I start putting the work in now, what do you guys think I could get?
    NO. 1 on the CAO is 435, is that out of my reach?
    My courses' points go down to 360.
    Do you think I can get ~375 in the Leaving? and is there anyone else in the same boat as me?
    Thanks for your opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I didn't start studying until after easter in most of my subjects and I got 490 points. I was 0.12% in one subject from 500 points :o

Got D3's in English, Economics, Biology and Irish. C2 in French.
    Got all of them up a grade, i.e. to C3s and a B2.

Although I probably would've done better in those if i wasn't so focused on maths, physics, applied maths, but I only cared about those..

in short, you have plenty of time to get everything up a grade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I didn't start studying until after easter in most of my subjects and I got 490 points. I was 0.12% in one subject from 500 points :o

Got D3's in English, Economics, Biology and Irish. C2 in French.
    Got all of them up a grade, i.e. to C3s and a B2.

Although I probably would've done better in those if i wasn't so focused on maths, physics, applied maths, but I only cared about those..

in short, you have plenty of time to get everything up a grade :)
    Thanks that's great,
    What did you get in the mocks do you remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

BOHtox wrote: »
    Thanks that's great,
    What did you get in the mocks do you remember?

Sorry, I might have explained poorly in my last post :o

Mocks:
    Biology (HL) - D3
    English (HL) - D3
    Economics (HL) - E
    French (HL) - C2
    Irish (OL) - D1
    Maths (HL) - A2
    Physics - (HL) - A2
    Applied Maths (HL) - A2

I gave up Economics after the mocks, because I had Applied Maths outside school.

LC:
    Biology (HL) - C2
    English (HL) - C2
    French (HL) - B2
    Irish (OL) - C2
    Maths (HL) - A2
    Physics - (HL) - A2
    Applied Maths (HL) - A1

Cheers man , big help.

any other opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

I did the leaving back in 2002- I know its changed a bit since but I got 435 in the end and it wasn't enough for what I wanted- I did study alot for the mocks but I didn't do very well.
    Its been said that the mocks are harder and are marked harder than the real thing but i don't know how true this is.
    My problem was focusing too much on my bad subjects like irish and maths and letting my good ones slide-
    I studied like mad after Easter, I'll never forget that :) best of luck op

How many hours studying did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

any other opinions?

I've been in your shoes twice and I've asked people the same question you have.

Here's the only bit of advice you need: get off Boards.ie and study. You are not being productive by asking these questions, you are just wasting more of what little time you have left. I know you're panicking and want reassurance, but just hit the books instead. You're not going to improve your points by asking other people about their points.

Harsh, but seriously true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

She's right! Keep studying and answering exam questions.

I failed/just about passed the mock exams that I showed up for.

I ended up doing fairly well with all A's and B's with my lowest being a C in something. And that was after just doing some homework, maybe an hour the odd night up until around this time, which is when I started putting in a good bit of effort. Aim really high and do what it takes to get there.

MavisDavis wrote: »
    I've been in your shoes twice and I've asked people the same question you have.

Here's the only bit of advice you need: get off Boards.ie and study. You are not being productive by asking these questions, you are just wasting more of what little time you have left. I know you're panicking and want reassurance, but just hit the books instead. You're not going to improve your points by asking other people about their points.

Harsh, but seriously true.

I have been, I just want to know what I should be doing. I know you are just trying to help but I need to know that I can turn it around and on here is a good place to do that. Opinion appreciated, I should study.

• Advertisement

Great so far, anybody else. With 5-6 weeks to the exam, how much should I study a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Great so far, anybody else. With 5-6 weeks to the exam, how much should I study a day?
    Don't bother with this x hours of study rubbish. At the start of the day choose what you're going to revise (I.e A certain topic in a certain subject) and get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

my memory isn't the best in terms of the exact number of hours spent, I generally did one subject a day after homework and spent extra time at the weekends on my weaker subjects :rolleyes:

Advertisement