Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relative Sponsored Visa

Options
  • 28-04-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hijack your thread but i've a question about relative sponsored visas. Does someone have to be on the skilled list to be sponsored by a relative? Its not for me ( i'm on the list :) but no relatives in oz :() but i've a few friends who are planning to finish college soon and move over with sponsorship from a relative, they have no experience and even if they did their occupation is not on the list. I'm just curious as they seem to think its just that easy, is it? or are there other ways around it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yeah the paint was not even dry on that last one, so here your own thread.

Yeah to the best of my knowledge Just because your Auntie etc is an OZ citizen. They cant just bring you over. If they argue this point ask them what type of visa they are applying for , by number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Unless they are a dependant, then they can only use the auntie sponsorship thing as points towards their skilled visa (which since they are only out of college I'll assume they don't qualify)

also if they are just out of college, then I am assuming they can get a WHV, spend 3 months doing farm work/rural construction then you can get a 2nd WHV.

So 1.75years to live where ever you want in Oz and find sponsorship etc .... not everything has to be a resident visa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

They still need to have a skill or trade, the family sponsorship only reduced the number of points required from 120 points for a subclass 175 to 100 points for a family sponsored subclass 176. Just having a relation in Australia is not a free ticket otherwise the whole subcontinent would be living here.

Actually from 1st July onwards there is going to be no more family sponsorship for permanent residence, only provisional sponsored which a temporary visa but still requires a trade or skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

If you are here on a WHV for at least six months or longer you can apply for "Skilled - Regional Sponsored Visa (Subclass 487)" and be sponsored by a relative opposed to a State but you still need to have a skill that is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). This visa can be used by people who don't have enough experience to get a visa outright themselves. There are a number of conditions attached to this visa also.

The only other way of gaining a visa through family, that I know of, other than whats mentioned above, is if you have a relative here and they are the only remaining living member of your family then you can apply for a visa to join them here. But I think this would be more for people of refugee/asylum seeker background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I was wondering where my question went haha. Thanks for the replies lads i'll have to tell them to actually look up the visa they are planning on getting, it'll be after july so it'll be even harder. We're all planning on going but some of us are getting whv and theyre saying theyre moving for good because of their relatives, gonna be in for a bit of a shock when they find out. Looks like we'll all be on the whv :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Noo wrote: »
    I was wondering where my question went haha. Thanks for the replies lads i'll have to tell them to actually look up the visa they are planning on getting, it'll be after july so it'll be even harder. We're all planning on going but some of us are getting whv and theyre saying theyre moving for good because of their relatives, gonna be in for a bit of a shock when they find out. Looks like we'll all be on the whv :)

Tell them to read this.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-testfaq.pdf

Advertisement