Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in International Journalism - experiences?

• 29-04-2011 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there!

I've just been offered a place on the MA in International Journalism course and was wondering if anyone could share their personal experiences of this course with me?

The description looks fairly good (don't they all!) but I've started worrying because I didn't expect to get an acceptance so soon. Thought I'd have to do an interview first. Strange.

I'm especially interested to hear how people found the semester abroad. Was it very costly? Was it worthwhile? Where did you go?

Any information would be greatly appreciated before I commit a tonne of money to them! Thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mh1000

I was offered the course also a few days ago, haven't decided to accept it yet though as I haven't heard much about it?? do you know the entry requirements is it a 2.2 or 2.1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nyceire

I was offered the MA in Journalism but am thinking of changing to the MA in Intl. Journalism as it has more of an intl. focus, plus you have the opportunity to study at Boston University in Semester 2. It has a prestigious journalism school and has churned out 20 Pulitzer Prize winners. I also am unsure if I want to remain in Ireland after the course. Does anyone else have any insights??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dazzle_dust

hey guys, jumping on the bandwagon, in exact same situation!
    Got offered a place on the international journalism MA in DCU, not sure if I will accept yet.

Does ANYONE have any info on the course?
    Am particularly interested in hearing about the semester abroad, duration, cost, etc.
    I assume we won't have to foot any additional fees to American universities for the semester spent there? :eek:

@nyceire, how did you find out that Boston is one of the universities on offer for semester 2?

Cheers!

Also, did you all decide to accept or decline? :)

Hi there. I decided to opt for the intl. option as I have lived abroad and I think it will give me more of an intl. focus if I want to remain abroad or move again. I emailed some of the faculty at DCU to find out the choices of where to spend the second semester. BU really stood out to me as it is a highly regarded school of journalism in the US; one of the best. It would cost about 40, 000 dollars to study there for a year BUT with the DCU option, you do not have to pay their fees. I have lived in California and NYC and yes, the US is expensive but there are always ways and means. Renting or sharing can be reasonable. Look at craigslist for shares or sublets. I also have an internship lined up for next summer with a US media corporation. The intl. option doesn't organize an internship for you. But I prefer the freedom of organizing my own, to tell you the truth. I also emailed some students from DCU who are studying BU at the moment and have heard nothing but great things. You may also study in Sydney, Romania or Italy I believe. Hope this helps. Best of luck with your decision making.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick reply! :)
    I e-mailed faculty members too but they have yet to get back to me...BU would be amazing, but I wonder if there are a limited number of places available there, or could everyone on the MA choose to go there?
    I have lived abroad as well and the international aspect of the course is really appealing to me...am still waiting to hear from some colleges in the UK though. Congrats on sorting an internship!

I haven't lived in Dublin for ten years so I am looking forward to coming back even in the midst of the current upheaval. You also have the choice to stay in Dublin for the year and do the second semester there as opposed to spending it at another university. In my situation, the course is ideal as it allows one to press the "eject" button if desired and get out of Dublin. I suppose like with everything, nothing is guaranteed i.e. regarding BU, but I know that the majority of the student body on the course are international, so you have as good a chance as any if you are Irish. Plus, being Irish, you would be expected to leave in the second semester seeing as it is an international course. If DCU and BU have an agreement, they should adhere to it as long as you meet application requirements. I think DCU has an excellent reputation and is the best school in Ireland for journalism. I did a year in an American university before and it was fine. The resources American universities have are incredible. Course wise, the intl. curriculum is similar to the plain MA in Journalism especially in the second semester. How and ever, there is alot more focus on international relations/communications. For me, this is ideal as I wouldn't mind working for an NGO or in PR. In that sense, it opens doors. I suppose at the end of the day, like with anything, it is what you make of the course and the contacts you make. Try contacting DCU again; I found them to be flexible, communicative and highly understanding: makes me excited to be heading back to such professional and kind people.

Advertisement