Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange plans

Options
  • 29-04-2011 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Hiya lads and lassies! :D

A few questions about some exchanges in Tipperary.

1) The exchange in Borrisoleigh. Is this a wireless exchange receiving data from the exchange in Golden? If so, when will a wired exchange be deployed in Borrisoleigh? And if not, why are dwellings less than 2.5km away from Borrisoleigh unable to receive DSL?

2) When is the exchange in Puckane going to be upgraded to provide any kind of broadband?

3) When is the exchange in Templemore going to be upgraded to "NGB" or in fact, when is it going to be capable of providing more than 6.17mb?

Many thanks! :)
    -Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

roast wrote: »
    Hiya lads and lassies! :D

A few questions about some exchanges in Tipperary.

1) The exchange in Borrisoleigh. Is this a wireless exchange receiving data from the exchange in Golden? If so, when will a wired exchange be deployed in Borrisoleigh? And if not, why are dwellings less than 2.5km away from Borrisoleigh unable to receive DSL?

2) When is the exchange in Puckane going to be upgraded to provide any kind of broadband?

3) When is the exchange in Templemore going to be upgraded to "NGB" or in fact, when is it going to be capable of providing more than 6.17mb?

Many thanks! :)
    -Mick

Hi Mick,

1) The Borrisoleigh exchange and Golden exchange in Tipperary are both enabled for broadband and eircom broadband is always provided through a fixed line network. However the eircom broadband service is never guaranteed and capability is tested on a line by line basis, There can be a number of factors as to why broadband is not available on a line,

- Distance from an exchange (although customers may be within a 2.5km radius from an exchange, the cables are not laid in direct line of sight from the exchange so the distance the DSL signal needs to travel can be a lot further than customers expect).

2) I checked with our broadband roll-out team and I am afraid there is no indication as yet as to when the Puckane exchange will be enabled as yet I'm afraid.

3) Again there is no indication as to when the Templemore exchange will be enabled for NGB. As the roll-out of NGB is the action eircom are taking to increase the bandwidth of capacity of existing exchanges' as above there is no time -frame for the exchange to be capable of more than 6MB.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Hi Mick,

1) The Borrisoleigh exchange and Golden exchange in Tipperary are both enabled for broadband and eircom broadband is always provided through a fixed line network. However the eircom broadband service is never guaranteed and capability is tested on a line by line basis, There can be a number of factors as to why broadband is not available on a line,

- Distance from an exchange (although customers may be within a 2.5km radius from an exchange, the cables are not laid in direct line of sight from the exchange so the distance the DSL signal needs to travel can be a lot further than customers expect).

2) I checked with our broadband roll-out team and I am afraid there is no indication as yet as to when the Puckane exchange will be enabled as yet I'm afraid.

3) Again there is no indication as to when the Templemore exchange will be enabled for NGB. As the roll-out of NGB is the action eircom are taking to increase the bandwidth of capacity of existing exchanges' as above there is no time -frame for the exchange to be capable of more than 6MB.

Thanks, Mark

Cheers for the info Mark :D

Some dwellings which are very close to the town of Borrisoleigh have their lines coming from Goolds Cross, in south Tipp. Which is quite far away, and as such, won't have a chance of getting DSL from Golden.
    Is there procedures in place for switching a dwellings line?

Regarding Puckane, the map here has been indicating (for the past few years) that there are plans to upgrade the exchange. Its a small exchange, and I'm sure its almost at capacity already. Surely there must be some timeframe?

Cheers!
    Mick

EDIT: I was mistaken, I actually meant the Goolds Cross exchange, not the Golden exchange. Apologies.

Cheers for the info Mark :D

Some dwellings which are very close to the town of Borrisoleigh have their lines coming from Goolds Cross, in south Tipp. Which is quite far away, and as such, won't have a chance of getting DSL from Golden.
    Is there procedures in place for switching a dwellings line?

Regarding Puckane, the map here has been indicating (for the past few years) that there are plans to upgrade the exchange. Its a small exchange, and I'm sure its almost at capacity already. Surely there must be some timeframe?

Cheers!
    Mick

EDIT: I was mistaken, I actually meant the Goolds Cross exchange, not the Golden exchange. Apologies.

Hi Mick,

If you PM me the details of the line / lines you want to see if broadband can be provided on and I will check those for you.

In regards to the Puckane exchange being enabled, I realise the broadband atoz page shows "due to be enabled". I am afraid the web page is not accurate. I have been speaking to the broadband rollout team directly. They have advised me that they no longer give indications or time-frames regarding exchanges being broadband enabled.

This is because in the past when eircom did give guidelines for exchanges nation-wide and when the due dates were pushed back customers were understandably frustrated. So if and when an exchange is within 6 months of being broadband enabled as a certainty ( The information will be cascaded to al the centres). Otherwise eircom will not give any indications for ant exchange in relation to being broadband ready.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Hi Mark,

PM sent.

I knew it was the case that the "planned" upgrades would never be complete....

In which case, I'd recommend to have that page and its inaccurate maps to be removed from the website. Its pointless, and can cause just as much frustration as having customers calling about upgrade queries.

Cheers,
    Mick.

Hi Mark,

PM sent.

I knew it was the case that the "planned" upgrades would never be complete....

In which case, I'd recommend to have that page and its inaccurate maps to be removed from the website. Its pointless, and can cause just as much frustration as having customers calling about upgrade queries.

Cheers,
    Mick.

Hi Mick,

I have sent a request to ament the atoz website. I got the Pmd and when you have any other numbers you want me to check, send them on to me.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement