Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Canice's tower

Options
  • 29-04-2011 2:38am

Hi guys, native of Wexford here, long time Dub though. Just been to Kilkenny on a two day holiday with the English OH (wanted to show him a bit of beauty and culture). My question about the tower is this: has anyone ever fallen down and been seriously injured, or killed, climbing that tower? I'd be amazed if the answer was no.

I didn't get beyond the first ladder, but the OH went to the top, and came back down hopping like a box of frogs. No one in Kilkenny that we asked seemed to know if there was ever an accident inside the tower. I understand that it's totally at the person's own risk that they climb it. Do they even advise people about the climb? Me and the fella are both young(ish) and fit (or we look fit) but what about 20+ stone tourists who pay in to climb up?

I'm not critising in the least - I would let anyone go up there if they know it's at their own risk!

We loved our two day stay, for the record! The castle has changed a lot since I was last there in about 2000.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Did ya hear the one about the fit tourist and the fat tourist? They both climbed up the tower and came down in one piece.

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    Did ya hear the one about the fit tourist and the fat tourist? They both climbed up the tower and came down in one piece.

I'd laugh if I got it....

I couldn't get past the first ladder, I'm not afraid of heights at all, I just get disorientated when there is a drop nearby. Hard to explain. I desperately wanted to go to the top of the tower. I kept trying too. I am gonna go back and try again. I was just terrified of making it up three or four ladders then freezing and being sat their till the emergency services arrived. Because me and ladders don't get along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

While I admire your desire to test yourself I would advise against attempting the climb if you're not great in tight spaces. Going up is one thing but descending is actually harder and the emergency services are better deployed to serious accidents rather than avoidable misadventures.

As for twenty stone tourists, the reason they're twenty stone is that they never do anything so little fear of them even attempting it, the chinese buffet on the corner of Irishtown is more their scene.

However if you want to build up your confidence for the task then do a bit of hill walking first, you may think your fit but comparing yourself against twenty stone tourists is leaving a lot of room for specualtion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I love climbing the tower!

Yeah it's a bit claustrophobia-inducing at times, especially when you meet a load of people on the landing half way up. It's especially dodge near the top when you have to go up that stone staircase bit.

Remember the old spiral staircase that went all the way up! Eep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've not been up the tower in quite a while but I seem to recall an American tourist who was behind me having a bit of trouble. Then again she wasn't all that young and wasn't in the best of physical shape either. It's a good question though. It isn't a climb for people who are claustrophobic or those who aren't too nimble on their feet. I'd guess that a lot of heavier people and those who are scared of heights/enclosed spaces won't go near the thing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

They should put a small elevator in it, for fat Americans.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

How did it ever get planning permission? :rolleyes:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I think the more pressing issue here is how a fat American would get into a small elevator... (unless it was a Tardis of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

i had to bring a friend to kilkenny hospital last week as i had some time to spare i visited the church as the tower was open i gave it ago it is an easy climb my friend is 67 and iam not in the full flush of youth and not all that fit. its only a little over 100 ft granted i was a chippey on the buildings and a window fitter would be up and down ladders all day . ps the view was really worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I must go up it again, the view is great. Speaking of being a big tourist in a small space I remember being rather proud of myself for crawling through one of the Chu Chi tunnels until my tour guide told me that the tunnels had been widened for tourists like myself!

• Advertisement

My boyfriend climbed to the top and liked it a lot, but he says is not a climb to be undertaken but anyone unfit or delicate. I am not afraid of confined spaces, in fact I don't think that would come into play, the tower is plenty wide.... people who are afraid of heights are obviously not going to try this, I would hope. I am not afraid of heights, hence I paid in and got into the tower, climbed the first ladder, and said "Nope, not for me". I tried over and over while the OH was going up the tower, but I couldn't even get to the top of the first ladder. It's not a fear of confined spaces, and not a fear of heights. it's something weird that I cannot explain, that when my feet leave solid ground I experience disorientation, dizziness and nausea. I really, really wanted to climb that tower. but because when I was at the top of the first ladder, I could not co-ordinate my body enough to drag my leg onto the platform and arm onto the handrail, would have been stupid to try. I was joking about the emergency services, I would never put myself in such a position. It isn't vertigo, because I had vertigo for six months last year. It's just something that is me.

I loved the tower, I just wish I'd been there fifteen years ago, when I would have been able to go up. There were a group of French tourists came down just ahead of my fella, and two of them were wearing heels. They climbed the tower in heels and I didn't even make the first ladder.

I am going to try again. Gonna go with my parents and brother - parents have never been up there either. If they can't get me up there, then, I will give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

catbear wrote: »
    I must go up it again, the view is great. Speaking of being a big tourist in a small space I remember being rather proud of myself for crawling through one of the Chu Chi tunnels until my tour guide told me that the tunnels had been widened for tourists like myself!

Was there a few years ago as well, talk about claustrophobic.Couldn't hack being in them at all.These people lived like rats to survive.Found the Vinh Moc tunnels more pleasant to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I climbed it a good few times years ago when I was a young teen. Nowadays, I wouldn't even think about it as over the years as I've developed a fear of heights where I can see down. Tops of mountains are ok and places where I can see the view but not the edge. Canice's tower brings me out in a cold sweat remembering the climb up and even worse down because of being next to that empty space all the time. Some of the worst are flights of escalators where you can see all the way down to the bottom floor, such as the one in Winston's or Roches Stores on Henry Street. My legs start tingling just thinking about it.

Canice's tower brings me out in a cold sweat remembering the climb up and even worse down because of being next to that empty space all the time. Some of the worst are flights of escalators where you can see all the way down to the bottom floor, such as the one in Winston's or Roches Stores on Henry Street. My legs start tingling just thinking about it.

So in other words, you're not up for anything? :D:D:D:D

(sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Me and the fella are both young(ish) and fit (or we look fit) but what about 20+ stone tourists who pay in to climb up?

We have that sorted tbh

I climbed it a good few times years ago when I was a young teen. Nowadays, I wouldn't even think about it as over the years as I've developed a fear of heights where I can see down. Tops of mountains are ok and places where I can see the view but not the edge. Canice's tower brings me out in a cold sweat remembering the climb up and even worse down because of being next to that empty space all the time. Some of the worst are flights of escalators where you can see all the way down to the bottom floor, such as the one in Winston's or Roches Stores on Henry Street. My legs start tingling just thinking about it.

Sounds similar to me - been up in the alps and have stood on sheer cliff faces, but my feet are on solid ground so doesn't bother me. Try to send me up a ladder, then.... sweats, confusion, disorientation and dizziness. I have to have my feet on solid ground at all times. When I was a teenager it didn't bother me even slightly, climbed castles like it when in Shetland at age 14. I'm 30 now, but since I was about 17 had this problem about leaving solid ground. I also developed a fear of heights but I think it is related the my odd "vertigo" really - like you have stood on the edge of high mountains and not bothered! Wont do rollarcoasters though. The height bothers me then, not the drops or loops, the height. I am ok with tight spaces so I guess I didn't notice the tower was a "tight space".

I am still more than disappointed with myself for not being able to climb it. I call it my "Ultimate Fail", but really, it showed me that I'm not 16 anymore, I'm 30, and I didn't want to know that :eek:

What do you think I was thinking of when I mentioned 20 stone tourists!!!!!! :D

Until Raze posted the link, the gag had flown over my head. It's been a long time since I watched In Bruges and I'd forgotten about that scene...

Anyway, if you are a 20 stone tourist or have a fear of climbing up leaning, narrow, thousand year old towers on rickety wooden ladders here's what you're missing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I was amazed nobody had thought of it! Was full sure I'd be too late to post it.

I climbed it in 6th class remember thinking then that it was very narrow and steep climb on the ladders, Would hate to see what it's like now I'm 6 ft and 195-200 lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

Was there not a story of a French tourist falling off it in the eighties? Not sure if it happened but I can remember hearing it when I was growing up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement