Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blood Scour

• 29-04-2011 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I have a suckler calf with serious dose of blood scour. 3 months old. He has it with over two weeks now, and dont seem to be clearing up. Gave him the ususal round of powders and injections, but not clearing up.

I'm putting him in the shed twice a day, and dosing him with a few liters of water and electoryte, just to keep him from getting too dehydrated.

He is not in too bad form apart from the dirty tail end. Seems to be grazing and sucking, but it's a right hassle to have to dose him eevery day.
    Anyhing else I could be doing to speed recovery?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Try this on him;

Vecoxan
    http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=MVE0174&cat=22

There was a thread back a while on the same topic, if you search for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

pakalasa wrote: »
    Try this on him;

Vecoxan
    http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=MVE0174&cat=22

There was a thread back a while on the same topic, if you search for it.
    yup vecoxan is the best also maybe give him some bimastat, the vecoxan is 20ml per 50 kg its a one off dose but if he is bad you may need to do him again in a week or 10 days hth

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Just noticed a 9 month old suckler with blood scour this evening when I was home. We let it out in the field it is still eating ok but badly failed. Would you think this is coccidosis also I will look about it in the morning. Should I have left it in?
    Thanks for any replies in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

get the vet... if its badly failed...might be a bit cold out at night for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    get the vet... if its badly failed...might be a bit cold out at night for it

Definitely vet. And I'd agree about it being too cold. I'd be going for a clean freshly bedded straw shed.
    Easier to monitor intake and check output too, vital information, check temperature too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Along with all the good advice above I often gave a few Sulpha No. 2 (Sulphadimadine) powders, over 3/4 days. Something like a full powder followed by a few half packets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Bizzum wrote: »
    Along with all the good advice above I often gave a few Sulpha No. 2 (Sulphadimadine) powders, over 3/4 days. Something like a full powder followed by a few half packets.

Yep, this to treat it and Vecoxan at 10 days old as a preventative (according to Vet in Journal a while back). I do all me calves now at 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I have a suckler calf with serious dose of blood scour. 3 months old. He has it with over two weeks now, and dont seem to be clearing up. Gave him the ususal round of powders and injections, but not clearing up.

Sounds like coccidosis. I'd go to the vet

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

Muckit wrote: »
    Sounds like coccidosis. I'd go to the vet

I had a 5 week old calf with same complaint. Took a dung sample into local lab who told me that coccidia wasn't found. Further test though was positive for rotovirus. I had this information before the vet came out. Suggest you do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Thanks for all your replies and advice.
    But I spoke to home today and was told that the vet just gave his an antibiotic and left packets of sulphur medicine for him. So dont know what he diagnosed him with. I will find out at the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement