Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf v Polo

Options
  • 29-04-2011 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

Just looking for advice in relation to shopping for a new car.

I was looking at a 07 Petrol Golf 1.4L for €9,000 or a 07 Diesel Polo 1.4 L which was also €9,000.

I travel approx 40 kms one way to work so over the whole week I travel over 400 kms. Presently I am putting €60 a week petrol into the car. Would I be better off going for the Golf or the Polo? Or are there any other types of car that could be recommend? Should I get petrol or diesel. Budget is approx €10,000.

I also had further looks on carzone and it seems I would be able to get a 2009 Petrol Polo for €10,000.

Can anybody advise on which car would be best for my needs and the distance I would travel every week :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Maybe worth buy brand new vw polo ?? if you have 9 - 10 k euro, vw bank loan not bad at 5.9 %, brand new petrol polo would be around 14 -15 k euro (not sure about price, worth call in to vw center, a specially if you have old car for scrappage schema) ,youll get cheap roadtax, more safety features, no hassle with roadtax for 4 years, warianty for at least 2 years. We bought new vw polo diesel last year for my wife(she is traveling around 35 km each way to work, 5 days a week), and the benefit - saving at least 1 k euro a year, compare older car what we had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd go for the diesel polo tbh. I can see it being worth more than the Golf in a few years and will coat nothing to run.

+1 on the Polo.

If you do another 80km over the weekend or the evenings added onto the 400 commuting kms your current car is returning 35mpg ish, the 1.4 Petrol Golf wouldn't do any better I'd reckon, the Polo should do lots more mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Of the two, I'd take the Polo. Both of these cars will be very slow and dull, but at least the Polo would be economical.

But I'd actually go a year older and buy this Mini. It's not a whole lot quicker than the Polo, but at least it's a nice place to sit on your commute, with some leather and a decent stereo.

But I'd actually go a year older and buy this Mini.

Asking price is a tad ambitious, madness paying anywhere near that for a private sale 70K mile Bini, even if it's diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

RoverJames wrote: »
    Asking price is a tad ambitious

Yes, I was thinking of getting it for the same money as the 07 Polo mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd take the diesel Polo too to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

400km per week would justify getting the polo.

A diesel polo in my opinion would be preferable to a petrol golf with the smallest/lowest powered engine. And to my eyes, a polo of that age looks nicer than the golf also

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭marc1

You will get similar performance out of both cars, you would probably save 1,000 to 1,500 EUR in fuel costs a year with the Polo. I am also guessing that it will be cheaper to insure.

That said, I would not pay 9k for a 4 year old Polo - had a quick look on carzone, they seem to be extremely rare and therefore expensive.

Would you consider a 1.9 TDI Golf? You should get a nice 2006 / 2007 for under 10k and will get the same fuel economy (potentially even better if you do some motorway driving). And that is about the most common car in Ireland, so you will have plenty of choice and room to haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, why are you only looking at VWs? €9k will buy you alot of car these days, there is so much choice out there that it is madness to limit yourself to just one brand especially when used VWs tend to command silly money. €9k for a 4 year old diesel supermini is crazy money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement