Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of solicitor for conveyancing

Options
  • 29-04-2011 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I'm looking at purchasing a house and pricing solicitors for conveyancing.

Is the following a good price?

Solicitor's fees:
    To handle the purchase: 950 euro
    To handle the mortgage: 650 euro
    Misc for paperwork, printers, mailing: 50 euro

And then there's VAT of about 350 euro on top of that.

Comes to about 2000 euro in total.

I have no previous experience of this sort of thing so no idea if that's a good or bad price.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Larna

Also located in rural Mayo so that greatly limits the options in terms of available solicitors.

Outlay is separate to the above fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

The solicitor does not have to live in Mayo. You could quite easily use one from elsewhere in the country if you want. You should be able to get solicitors fees down to 1200 euro simply by shopping around / good old fashioned haggling. If you get someone starting off or desperate for some turnover / trying to build up a client base, that may suit. The reality of todays marketplace is that some will take 1200 rather than sit around all day doing nothing. Do not feel guilty, they will shop around for things they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Larna

Thanks, I had no idea what kind of fees I should expect to pay.

I've priced a few more now and one has come in at 1000 euro plus VAT (Outlay separate). That's a huge difference!

I will have to visit the solicitor to sign paperwork at least once, possibly twice, so I need them to be somewhere not too far away as I work full time and it's very difficult for me to take time off during solicitor's opening hours. The nearer they are to me, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 globetrotter

hi there,

im buying a house at the min. i have only got 1 quote from a solicitor so far and that was for 1850 including tax and the lot.

can you recommend that chap for 1000 approx? cheers

ciaran

Advertisement