Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant overclock button or software

Options
  • 29-04-2011 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Which budget P67 mobos support insta-oc?

And I m interested in more convenient way since not keeping my case open and infront my nose - via Windows interface? or if they come with somekind of extension to bring mobo button out?

Like MSI has OC Genie but does it work from Windows also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

The OC button is just for a bit of bling really or if you are totally techno-phobic. But if your able to install a mobo I'm sure you'd be able to change multipliers in the bios. So theres no real need for it.

I think all the MSI p67a-GDxx have the oc button. And its cheating if you overclock in windows :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 higginsshane70

Check this out, it's a great thing
    http://game-booster.en.softonic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

jme2010 wrote: »
    The OC button is just for a bit of bling really or if you are totally techno-phobic. But if your able to install a mobo I'm sure you'd be able to change multipliers in the bios. So theres no real need for it.

There is many things we really don't need but if they make life easier why not?
    What comes to instant overclocking, I think it's brilliant addition but incomplete implementation if it's only one little button on motherboard without possibility taking it further out of case! Little extension cord and 5.25" front plate shouldn't break anyones bank once you are going for more expensive P67 instead of H67.

Instant OC is useful to switch e.g. between 2GHz and 4GHz - computer would run on low emissions quiet setting most of the time while using lightweight stuff, then before starting game you just push the button and there you go full loud power - I don't want interrupt my office and web work just to restart computer for BIOS profile loading for short gaming session.

Or MSI and others left that "more convenient instant OC" for the next gen mobos and will be advertised just as another "new" and "flashy" feature :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Check this out, it's a great thing
    http://game-booster.en.softonic.com/

Ok this is playing with services and processes, useful I think but it's not hardware OC.
    Does this give boost in FPS average rates?

What about apps (GUI interface) which could read and apply saved BIOS profiles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 higginsshane70

Yeah it boost about 10-15% fps in my case :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

freestyla wrote: »
    Instant OC is useful to switch e.g. between 2GHz and 4GHz - computer would run on low emissions quiet setting most of the time while using lightweight stuff, then before starting game you just push the button and there you go full loud power - I don't want interrupt my office and web work just to restart computer for BIOS profile loading for short gaming session.

Heres the beauty of it all sunshine. When my rig is OC via bios OR button, the cpu idles at 3.3 GHz and when its needed it kicks in the monster 1GHz overclock, keeping things nice and cool the rest of the time. :eek:

EDIT: oooh just re-read your post. YOU CANNOT PUSH THE OC BUTTON WHILE THE MOBO IS ON CRAZY FOO, YOU'D NEED TO RESTART ANYWAY.

But what I said before the edit is all you need to know.

Advertisement