Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Road Championships - Gowran Mon 2nd May

• 29-04-2011 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this?
    I'm making up the numbers on the Wicklow Master's team.
    Leinster Novice and Masters championships will take place in Gowran on Monday 2nd May
    First race off at 12.00 noon. Entries close at 11.45.
    Novice Women & Masters will start together - distance, 3k.
    Novice Men and Masters will be run separately - distance, 6k

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Best of luck to everyone running these. I ran the novice a couple of years ago, and thought it was an excellent (though testing) course. Good spread afterwards as well, which is always important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

yeah, i'm running in it. Not sure if i'm going to do masters or novice yet. BB67, if you haven't run it before the only advice i can give is to hold back for the first lap...it's very easy to go out too fast on the downhill start, and the hill starts to bite on laps 3 and 4. I hope we get good weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DAVID AKA MACKY

Im running for kch so hoping i can perform well.Its a difficult enough coarse and important to get the race tactics right and not go daft on the opening 2 laps.Should be a good crowd and gowran athletic club always have it organised well so lets hope for medals :D

Im running for kch so hoping i can perform well.Its a difficult enough coarse and important to get the race tactics right and not go daft on the opening 2 laps.Should be a good crowd and gowran athletic club always have it organised well so lets hope for medals :D

I'd prefer to think we are both running for kilkenny ;-) let's not let petty club rivalries get in the way. You should do very well based on your recent form - but you never know who will show at a novice race.

hahaha there are no such rivalrys,dont believe in it.I think i will be the only kch runner,i dont know of any other from the club competing in the novice.Gowran will have a good team.But yes its difficult to tell what sort of standard will be coming.I know dublin will have many strong competitiors aswill mullingar but i run my own race,i never worry about anyone else.I do my best on the day and see how i perform.
    My coach has laid down the law as regards going fast too soon.I feel ok and thank god no injurys this year.Ran 14.58 for the 3 miles in the road series the other night which was a pb but this coarse is alot more challenging and i reckon 19mins and under will be required to have any chance of been in with a shout.
    Good luck to you and hope you run well.Please god the weather will be nice and nobody gets injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

hahaha there are no such rivalrys,dont believe in it.I think i will be the only kch runner,i dont know of any other from the club competing in the novice.Gowran will have a good team.But yes its difficult to tell what sort of standard will be coming.I know dublin will have many strong competitiors aswill mullingar but i run my own race,i never worry about anyone else.I do my best on the day and see how i perform.
    My coach has laid down the law as regards going fast too soon.I feel ok and thank god no injurys this year.Ran 14.58 for the 3 miles in the road series the other night which was a pb but this coarse is alot more challenging and i reckon 19mins and under will be required to have any chance of been in with a shout.
    Good luck to you and hope you run well.Please god the weather will be nice and nobody gets injured.
    I hope the course is accurate. Last wednesdays was well short. Probaly upto 25 seconds. But great time.

I did a light session on the coarse today and its pretty accurate.Its rather annoying when the distances on some race coarses are not accurate.I remember running in the patricks day event in kilkenny and it was 200m over 5km and it annoys the hell outa me as i train hard to improve my times.Looking forward to tomorrow,im a bit nervous and hope i can keep my running form going.Good luck to you too and lets hope for an exciting race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looking forward to it myself, ran the Novice about 14yrs ago on the same course in 20:XX, will be happy with anything close to 22 tomorrow - my M40 6k PB of 22:49 needs a good seeing to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

looking forward to this race too.... haven't been able to run it for last 2yrs but will give it a good go tomorrow - the first lap does tend to make ya run a bit too fast alright and then ya suffer but sure i suppose everyone else is suffering too:D best of luck to all anyway

Great race windy conditions probably had times down.
    22:23 for an M40 PB averaged 3:40 on the Garmin which was the plan.

• Advertisement

There was a good crowd at this, numbers were up on last year. There was a good turnout of runners from tullamore, north laois, sportsworld, rathfarnham and the wexford clubs. I ran 20:50, 5th in masters. Time was slower than last year - I'm blaming the wind! All my OH flapjacks and buns were devoured afterwards pretty quickly...so total result all round.

The men's novice was won in impressive style by David AKA Mackey above, who put in a strong last lap to move clear of the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

had a good race today in the mens novice. The course was nice and challenging with the wind thrown in. Went down with the idea of running under 20 mins but didn't quite hit that target. Found the last lap very tough. I needed another 50 meters to get third place back. Will be back next year to get in the medals.

David Mackey ran the best race and deserved to win, he sat off until the last lap and then broke away with an impressive last hill. Well done all. Would have been nice to see more Dublin clubs competing as it took 6 runners to claim a county medal.

have to agree with all the posters, was a good race on a tough windy day - the only good thing about the wind was that it was behind us heading up the hill each time.......

well done to everyone who competed in the three races and to gowran ac for hosting it - unfortunately asimonovs wifes flapjacks were eaten by the time i got in i heard good reports of them:D

Managed to get a few snaps while warming up and the OH grabbed a few more. Only the compact so quality not great.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dominic67/sets/72157626507766331/

David Mackey winning the Novice
    5680963710_6d65b6f67f.jpg

Gmurran in the background not far off 3rd
    5680973172_6e22eedb44.jpg

Mick Byrne - 2nd Master
    5680446983_5cfb260238.jpg

Me catching a bit of air
    5680508815_f406997c01.jpg

Asimonov (in red) who I met before and after looking lean and mean despite the OH's good baking.
    5680538653_5f059e2029.jpg

good to see the results of all the races now up on the Athletics Leinster website - thought it might have took another couple of days

Well done to everyone that competed in all the categories.Everyones a winner and well done to gowran ac for a well organised event.
    I was very happy to win the novice title,it was a tough race and i had to work hard all the way to get the result.To come away with 3 medals was fantastic,and all the lads in the club team and county did great.Well done to everyone and credit to all the athletes that travelled far to get to the event.Good luck to all in the remainder of the season

It was quiet funny to read the report of the race in the kilkenny newspaper,my name was listed as danny instead of david which is my brothers name so hes been getting all the credit this week hahahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

It was quiet funny to read the report of the race in the kilkenny newspaper,my name was listed as danny instead of david which is my brothers name so hes been getting all the credit this week hahahah

Is the article online? cheers

The online version of the paper is not up to date yet but im going to have it corrected.Great photos on flikr more than what the killkenny people newspaper could manage.
    Glad the official results are up on athletics leinster website.

http://www.athleticsleinster.org/

All results from ladies to mens are here :)

Well done everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement