Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat issues.

• 29-04-2011 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

I got two 4 month old kittens late february/early march from a rescue centre, They seem to have adapted well.

2 problems
    1: being curious cats is they keep getting into my neighbours house, and as of the last couple have been setting off there alarm somehow, I have no idea how they can possibly be controlled (as my dad hates them in the house)

2: Weaning of the litter tray, they do go outside to go toilet, so my mam took away the litter tray which was okay for a while, however my dad found droppings in the living room yesterday, so I'm not sure how to handle it at all, the back door is open a lot, I'm aware they are still learning but any tips/advice?

My dad is becoming increasingly volatile around them as they cant be 'controlled' as they jump on kitchen table/counters and roam the house, I fear that they get mixed messages about being put outside to use the toilet to being locked in one room of the house to prevent them from roaming upstairs into bedrooms etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Hi

1: you can contain your kittens in the back garden by putting angled netting on the inside of the walls/fence like http://www.beestonfencingcompany.co.uk/catprooffencing.htm. Also cats need at least 2 months to recognise their "home" territory.. if you let the cats out too early after getting them they may class the neighbours as part of their home territory. Your neighbours may be willing to use a cat repellent spray on their window frames if you ask nicely; if not containment in the back garden may be the only option. If you are going to let the cats roam your house then you may need to put cat netting in front of open windows too. Zooplus sell various types.

2.Kittens are usually taught proper litter/toileting behaviour by the mother/owner. If you give mixed messages then the kitten will give mixed results. If the kitten is indoors without access outside for long periods it will need a litter tray indoors. There is lots of advice on the web about litter training kittens http://therealowner.com/cats/litter-box-training-problems-in-cats/ - also http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/spraying/info.html gives information on why they may soil indoors and how to deal with it.

Cats roam; it's part of their nature. It's very hard to stop them doing that. Cats also like being up high and looking out windows - kitchen counters are an ideal place to fulfill both desires. Most of us just accept that and make sure we wipe them down before cooking. Also keep all food off the counters to resist temptation from smells.

You may also have to have an honest conversation with your dad. Is he annoyed that you brought cats into his home without discussing it with him? Your cats and dad have to learn to co-exist and I don't think it's right to punish the cats for acting like normal cats.

Good luck!

Advertisement