Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coke Zero query

Options
  • 29-04-2011 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Even though this is calorie free, does it have any effect on insulin production in the body?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

can

of

worms.

/Runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm just looking for a synopsis of recent trustworthy research. I drink around 500ml per day and it's the only non-whole 'food' in my diet. If it causes insulin spikes, then I'll kick it. If not, I'll continue to drink it, aspartame be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

500ml...I wouldn't worry in the slightest. Enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

This is an interesting clip I found on it.

In answer to your question, I don't think there is any scientific research to prove it causes a rise in insulin, there's actually research that proves the theory to be incorrect.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-insulin/

But how it affects your insulin levels would not be the only reason for you to consider kicking it, personally I stay well clear of the stuff for the most part.

What would we do without Marksdailyapple :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Phosphoric acid.. nasty stuff. :D

Having said that, if you're really good and it's stopping you from being worse, the law of diminishing returns may apply.:)

I love some lemon and lime juice in ice water, seriously hits the spot. But only cos I find the taste of artificial sweeteners really weird. Like bitter tasting or something.

Go on El D, give me the low down on Phosphoric Acid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Why do you care about insulin anyway :)

In the study cited above from bodybuilding.com, the rise in insulin is greater in the sucrose pre-load, then aspartame, then stevia.

However, people consuming aspartame or stevia instead of sucrose had a lower daily caloric intake (330kcal lower in the case of aspartame) - this is a very good moderate deficit if you want to lose weight.

Don't fear the insulin - it builds musclez ;)

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

• Advertisement

I did read in one of the stickies here that calorie-free soft drinks, when consumed with fatty foods, cause fat to be stored rather than burned. I eat a lot of saturated fat, sometimes with Coke Zero...and since insulin is linked to fat storage, I am a little concerned that it's doing things I don't want it to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Tremelo wrote: »
    I did read in one of the stickies here that calorie-free soft drinks, when consumed with fatty foods, cause fat to be stored rather than burned. I eat a lot of saturated fat, sometimes with Coke Zero...and since insulin is linked to fat storage, I am a little concerned that it's doing things I don't want it to do.

Insulin is 'linked' to lots of things, that sticky must be out-of-date if it makes such claims.

In the study above, they had no control group. That is, how do we know that with no sweetener at all in the pre-load meal, the insulin wouldn't have risen even higher? We don't.

Although you may be deep in the paleo ways, so I'm not going to convince you otherwise right now. mmm, Fairly Nuts ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

That particular information in the sticky is outdated.

Sure this is in one of the Health and Fitness stickies;
    F Grade Fats.

Anything fried
    Dairy fat (whole milk, cheese etc)
    Palm/coconut/vegetable oils
    High fat cuts of meat

They probably need to be updated a tad, most of the info on them is spot on but anti sat fat /insulin myths etc posts still exist.

rocky wrote: »
    Although you may be deep in the paleo ways, so I'm not going to convince you otherwise right now. mmm, Fairly Nuts ... :D

I'm not *that* into it. I mean I make informed choices based largely on the Primal Blueprint, and I tend to avoid grains most of the time, but then on the other hand I consume plenty of dairy (mostly butter and milk), which Sisson doesn't endorse.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

It's calorie-free, and glucose free, so your body will be looking towards fats for fuel, not storing them. Drinking regular coke would be more likely to cause fat storage, but not coke zero. Anyway, seeing as how sweeteners such as aspartame are something like 200 times sweeter than glucose, even if they did have some effect, their quantities will be negligible in the grand scheme of fat/glucose management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Transform wrote: »
    Yes

proof??

Go on El D, give me the low down on Phosphoric Acid ;)

Oh, it's just a bit dodgy on the bones. Binds magnesium and calcium in the gut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

No it doesnt as there is no carbohydrate in it. Honestly I drink lots of diet and zero coke and Im diabetic. As there is no carb, there is no rise in blood sugar level and this in a normal person would mean no need for an insulin release.

This is all good to know. I think a man should be allowed a vice or two, and mine is coca-cola. I've always hated Diet Coke, but Coke Zero is great to the taste. I'll continue imbibing it moderately.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Roger Marbles

ragg wrote: »
    proof??

Caffeine leads to increased cortisol and catecholamine release. In turn, glucose is released which stimulates insulin release.

Also studies suggest it leads to decreased insulin sensitivity.

• Advertisement

Caffeine leads to increased cortisol and catecholamine release. In turn, glucose is released which stimulates insulin release.

Also studies suggest it leads to decreased insulin sensitivity.

I've always heard the opposite re: caffeine, loads of studies showing it to be protective of diabetes. Could be a hormetic effect, as in if you look at a very short term reaction, it looks bad, but because it's acute and intermittent it leads to longer term beneficial adaptations.

Having said that, I can't have very much caffeine at all, seem to have a really bad reaction to it, even the small amount in dark chocolate. But I still think it can be beneficial for a lot of people.

Advertisement