Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Switch

Options
  • 29-04-2011 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All

I am in the process of purchasing some 48 port switches and I am looking at the Netgear GS1548 and GS1548TS. The only difference I can see is that the TS model is stackable but it will cost approx €170.00 more. The non stackable model has Autouplink. I will be buying 3 of them so we are talking about €500.00

My question is in a school environment where the speed demands are not huge, is it worth getting the stackable switches?

Both of the swithces come with 4 dual-personality RJ45/SFP ports. Will any multimode mini gbic module work in these ports? The fibre connection is multimode.

Thank you in advance

Paddyo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Do you mean a gs748T & gs748TS?

NetGear GS748T ProSafe 48 Port Gigabit Smart Switch
    Mfr#: GS748TEU €482.92 ex vat

NetGear GS748TS 48 port Gigabit Stackable Switch
    Mfr#: GS748TS-100EUS €578.35 ex vat

SFP ports are reputedly not cross compatible between manufacturers; especially HP and Cisco locking others out. Never experimented myself though.

Likelihood is that in a school the bottleneck will be with the server hard drive.
    Will the phone system and other devices be running alongside the computers?

A stacked management interface is handy, helping to pinpoint and work around when one switch fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Hi Ressem

You are correct about the switch models.

We have not organised a phone system yet but I presume it will have its own switch. We are not using VOIP.

We will be using some raid level in the server to keep disk access as fast as possible.

Thank you for your reply

Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Talk123

Hi Paddyo

I am an independent reseller of ip and standard phone systems,I dont understand why you wouldnt use voip ,especially in a school environment,unless its not available?

Surely it would be great for foreign projects ,linking with other schools etc.Anyway if you want to discuss it further,feel free to contact me.

Regards

Bill

Advertisement