Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hammond Memorial races - May 8th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Anyone know if the route is the same as last year?

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/16663239

Same route. You'll love it!
    Just finalising a bulletin with start times etc. I'll post it up when I have it.

Orwell Wheelers
    Noel and Kieran Hammond Memorial Races
    Roundwood, Wicklow
    Sunday May 8th 2011
    Sign on: Roundwood GAA Club from 9.30am
    Race Starts: Youth from 10.45am, Seniors from 11.30am.

Orwell Wheelers are gearing up for their big open road race promotion of the season next Sunday with the Noel and Kieran Hammond Memorial races once again set for a challenging circuit beginning at Roundwood in County Wicklow.

Always one of the most popular events on the Irish cycling calendar, the event offers competition for all senior and youth categories as well as a round of the Trek Women’s Classic League.

Having proved popular on its introduction last year, the event retains the challenging 17km circuit based on the climb of Callowhill which race director Aidan Hammond unearthed for the move back to Wicklow following many years of promotion in north county Dublin.

Full route details are available from the following Mapmyride link.

Senior races start at Roundwood GAA club and race 5 kilometres out to the circuit. After finishing their laps each race will turn back for a 2.5k dash to the finish line on the Filterbeds.

Sign-on starts in Roundwood GAA club from 9.30am on Sunday.

There will be six races on the day:

Under 12 starting at 10.45am, covering 2.5km;
    Under 14/16 starts at 10.45am, run over 1 lap/25km;

A1-A2 starts at 11.30am, run over 5 laps/93km;
    A3 starts at 11.35am, run over 3 laps/59km;
    A4 starts at 11.40am, run over 2 laps/42km.

Note: The sign on time is different to the one listed in the Cycling Ireland handbook.

-ends-
    For further information contact Dave McLoughlin on 087 9908528 or email orwelladmin@gmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

No chance of letting the A3 do 5 laps or even 4?

59km...we are all big boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

morana wrote: »

Why not move up to A1/A2 for the day? :)

EDIT: Weather is looking like it might be very wet and windy, bring a rain jacket and dress warm if you are marshaling!

And the bigger you are the longer that hill is going to feel!
    The committee decided that the challenging nature of the circuit meant that it made more sense to run a slightly shorter race.
    As the secretary said, after three times up that hill no one is going to be begging to go up it again!

• Advertisement

I want to move up on merit!

The Crunch wrote: »
    And the bigger you are the longer that hill is going to feel!
    The committee decided that the challenging nature of the circuit meant that it made more sense to run a slightly shorter race.
    As the secretary said, after three times up that hill no one is going to be begging to go up it again!

what hill?
    Big ring or small?
    Harder or easier than stamullen?

94kg get over it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

The front group in the A1/2 race last year was covering it in 7 minutes when it came to crunch time (the sustained part of the climb). 4.7% average, but there are stretches at 7-8%. It is a tough enough climb but we were still going up it at 27-28kmph. I think I was in the little ring...

A report from last year: http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2010/05/2010-noel-hammond-memorial.html

The front group in the A1/2 race last year was covering it in 7 minutes when it came to crunch time (the sustained part of the climb). 4.7% average, but there are stretches at 7-8%. It is a tough enough climb but we were still going up it at 27-28kmph. I think I was in the little ring...

A report from last year: http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2010/05/2010-noel-hammond-memorial.html

Good stuff! you being 92kg rider going up it at that speed I think I will turn up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

AFAIK last year the race was reduced by 1 lap because there was a concern that the different races would overlap by the end of the race (I have some vague recollection of hearing that anyway). From what I remember, it's tougher than Stamullen as there is no let up on the climb, the bunches were pretty spread out by the last laps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

I went up that direction last weekend for a recce. Would have preferred 4 laps too (had a race strategy all worked out too :p). The hill is a more consistent drag than the one in Stamullen, i.e. there's no false flats once it starts properly. Road surface is very poor in places, not so much potholes, just the surface is breaking up. Descent could be tricky too if it's wet.
    The Crunch wrote: »
    After finishing their laps each race will turn back for a 2.5k dash to the finish line on the Filterbeds.

Is that on the bridge over the lake?

Is that on the bridge over the lake?
    That's it. Fast downhill bend and finish just at the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭DonVincenzo

Wind is forecast at around 45kmph in the Roundwood vicinity on Sunday midday. Accuweather predict gusts of up to 79kmph.

Could be a breakaway win if ye jump from the bunch at the right time!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Could be a breakaway win if ye jump from the bunch at the right time!;)

I bagsie Diarmuid's wheel:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

100Suns wrote: »
    I bagsie Diarmuid's wheel:D

Good luck getting shelter from that!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Good luck getting shelter from that!

I had assumed from earlier posts that Diarmuid would have morana's wheel. Dublin Bus could shelter in that wheel;)

If I was hanging onto morana's wheel it would be only because he gets into all the good moves, tawfeeredux sounds like the man to follow ;) .... I will only be racing if there are enough marshals.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    .... tawfeeredux sounds like the man to follow ;) .... I will only be racing if there are enough marshals.

biggrin.gif i dunno what you're on about.... i'm just hoping to hang on, maybe get in a bunch finish, unleash that killer sprint i been working on.... can't see orwell riders not dominating this one though.

Leave your number 41 at home...I am chickening out!!!

Bigger fish to fry!;)

Awesome ride by tawfeeredux in the A3. He used that fearsome sprint he has been working on to win by around 30 seconds. Diarmuid got third. Well done lads-tough course and tough conditions on the climb.

Thanks to the organizers for a well organized, safe sufferfest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

100Suns wrote: »
    Awesome ride by tawfeeredux in the A3. He used that fearsome sprint he has been working on to win by around 30 seconds. Diarmuid got third. Well done lads-tough course and tough conditions on the climb.

Thanks to the organizers for a well organized, safe sufferfest.

Seconded on all counts. Great win by tawfeeredux, and thanks to the organisers and marshals for a well run event.

I've added "can't warm up properly" to my "can't sprint" and "can't descend". I was comfortable on the climbs when I was warmed up (but I was out the back already by then) but I'm sure I'll get a harsh dose of reality when climbing on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭giannip

Diarmuid wrote: »
    If I was hanging onto morana's wheel it would be only because he gets into all the good moves, tawfeeredux sounds like the man to follow ;) .... I will only be racing if there are enough marshals.

Nice one! Looks like at least I had one correct prediction of which wheel to follow :D

Cheers guys. That was just a little preview of the sprint at the end :p. It's a work in progress.

Thanks to Orwell firstly for putting on superb race. Even with all the marshalls keeping us safe, they still have the strength to have riders going well in all categories. Great show!

Conditions today were not as bad as many of us feared - the rain held off & it was bright & warm throughout, though the wind was still a factor. I think it may have changed direction during the race, as it felt like we'd a headwind going out to the circuit & again on the return to the finish line. Anyone who stuck their nose out on the road to Ashford weren't getting very far.

A few lads got away though on the first time out the N11 but by the time we got to the main drag the bunch was more or less back together. A Stevens Cyclogical rider (Darragh Zaidan maybe?) rode at the front going up the first time & though the pace was strong, i was surprised later to discover that the bunch had split, with about 25-30 of us opening a gap on the rest. We stayed away until the second time up the hill, when a few guys attacked (Diarmuid & Pat from Orwell to the fore as usual:) as well as honkjelly who rode really strongly today in what i think was his first A3 race). I tagged on & helped drive the break up the rest of the hill.

At the top there was about 8-9 of us who had gotten clear of the bunch of 25-30, & though we tried to work together, we found it hard to maintain a steady pace & we were caught again just after turning off the N11. At the base of the hill for the third time, i attacked from the front. Looked around after a bit to see honkjelly on my wheel, kept up the pace & eventually I was clear. Rode as hard as i could up the rest of the way. Headwind & rough road surface making it a tougher climb again. At the top, the road flattened for a bit before descending & this was almost as tough as the climb. More exposure to the wind here made it really difficult to keep the pace up.

Eventually out on to Roundwood-Ashford road. Got out of the saddle a few times to try & power over the uppy bits, but the right calf cramped. Sat back down til I got to the tight left turn before the finish. At that stage, i knew I had it. Even though I didn't need to, I wanted to see if i could still sprint at the end of a tough race, so that's where the preview came from :rolleyes:. With the road surface kinda dodgy here too, i was bouncing all over the road, so sat back down pretty quickly. nearly lost control of the bike coming up to the line as I sat up for the finish.

Diarmuid & Pat got third & fourth. well done also to jimbo who picked up second in the A4 race & is only a point away from A3 now, another man to watch when he gets upgraded!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Only the skinniest of the skinniests placed today.
    All the cake was gone before the A1A2 finished as well. Cycling's darwinism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Only the skinniest of the skinniests placed today.
    All the cake was gone before the A1A2 finished as well. Cycling's darwinism.

I'm generally classed as one of these but I got dropped towards the end of the last climb in the A4 race. Legs didnt have it today. Was well placed until an increase in pace and I couldn't go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm generally classed as one of these but I got dropped towards the end of the last climb in the A4 race. Legs didnt have it today. Was well placed until an increase in pace and I couldn't go with it.
    Did you get cake though, or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

Well done tawfeeredux - carbon copy of your win the the Des Hanlon!

Was my first a3 race so was just out to not get dropped and then go from there. Wasn't that well positioned at the start of the climb on the first lap so had to pick my way around people a fair bit. At the top i was pretty much the last person in the first group.
    Sat in and at the back till near the start of the climb on the 2nd lap when i went to the front. Need to work on my elbow flick as i was still in the front after a fair bit of the climb when a few jumped. Went with them but was just hanging on up the rest of the climb. Wasn't feeling great at the base of the climb on the final loop but the pace was quite tame till tawfeeredux jumped. No idea why i tried to go with him but my brain finally got the message (jens would not be proud of me) a minute later and i dropped back to the bunch.
    Sat in with them and missed the four that went up the road. Tried to bridge over to them on the flattish bit after the climb but only made it two thirds there and the group got me again and i just rolled in at the with them for the last k.

kenmc wrote: »
    Did you get cake though, or not?

I made the mistake of not going into hall when I got back to the carpark. So no cake for me. Been only doing club races the last few weeks and forgot about the goodies on offer at open races!!

In the races I have done, I have not seen anyone that size getting over the hard(er) climbs in the front group of the climber types are pushing it. 80kg, yeah - but not 90+. The 1-2 minute kicker climbs are fine, just the longer ones... Watts/Kg pays out lots

I have worried a few skinny guys in my time...afraid I would fall on top of them!!! Backstedt was aparently 90kg, I think indurain was about that starting off but got down to about 79kg.

anyway well done today taw and Diarmuid! I hope you keep going and move up the cats...i have started on my diet...tomorrow (as usual) so youse better watch out on those humped back bridges...coming to get yis!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Whats a derailleur?

Great event, well organised (thanks Dave Mc et al), but as an elite leisure marshaller I was a little disappointed with the after-race refreshments.....
    The tea was a funny colour (before the tea bags were added) and it was SHOP-BOUGHT CAKE. Tragic.
    Great event, but get some serious/proper/MAWS catering for the after show!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

2nd race of wkend for me after Newbridge yday which was a 1st for me. Wasn't sure how I'd be feeling but I was grand. On 1st descent I kept losing ground (need to learn to stay on wheels to get cover - tipped off on this from a Raven not so long ago) but no biggie. First climb was handy enough.finished it midway in the bunch.moved towards front for 2nd descent and this time I managed to stay on a wheel. Seems to take me 20 mins riding before I get up to race race for some reason (although arriving 10 mins before start doesn't help - got stuck behind a bus driving past sally gap - why didn't I take N11). Got to base of last climb top 5 and stayed there til top.at right turn some guy took a crazy line and slowed a guy big time and me so lost momentum here and back to middle of bunch of 20. Didn't know where finish was and coming up to last bend I was too far back to contest sprint. Disappointed as I had good legs today. Well done to lad from Cuchulainn in Dundalk on the win. For a big horse of a fella he can climb well. Back to drawing board for me. Is there A4 racing next week up near Navan? Bike fit on Tuesday might help me to place.

I made the mistake of not going into hall when I got back to the carpark. So no cake for me. Been only doing club races the last few weeks and forgot about the goodies on offer at open races!!

Didn't see any Swords gear today in A4. Where's.Ryaner recently!

Didn't see any Swords gear today in A4. Where's.Ryaner recently!

I didn't actually see any swords kit all day today. Were they all saving themselves for the climbing this wednesday.

I didn't actually see any swords kit all day today. Were they all saving themselves for the climbing this wednesday.

HArd course this wk?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

HArd course this wk?
    Nags Head twice - 100m of climbing over about 3km. It's used for the end of season hill climb. I prefer it to Garristown and Springhill/3 Sisters though, as you get a decent recovery coming back down.

• Advertisement

Good race. tawfeeredux was the strongest on the climb so can't complain with 3rd. By all accounts the A3 race had riders all over the road, with the bunch spit on each lap. Thanks to Orwell for organising and to all the marshals for running a safe race!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Swordsdave

Done A1/A2 race and just finnished out of the A2 placings. Was great course and well run.

Advertisement